Newbie landlord!!!!

cobra29

Established Member
I am new landlord and my tenant has not paid December rent as of the 19th Dec. So far I sent out the late notice on the 6th Dec., Quit or pay rent notice on the 12th Dec. and a finial notice/termination of least today.

What's my next step?

Common

Established Member
Knock on the door with a bat in your hands! jk

Visit your town hall or local court and try to start eviction process.

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
If they haven't responded yet, go down to the police station and court house to get the eviction process started. Don't accept any rent once you start the process unless you intend to let them stay and don't lock the tenants out (changing the locks, moving their stuff out, etc.). An eviction is a court action, not just you telling them to leave. All the rules and laws regarding what you need to do and can do vary by state.

cobra29

Established Member
If they haven't responded yet, go down to the police station and court house to get the eviction process started. Don't accept any rent once you start the process unless you intend to let them stay and don't lock the tenants out (changing the locks, moving their stuff out, etc.). An eviction is a court action, not just you telling them to leave. All the rules and laws regarding what you need to do and can do vary by state.

Thanks. I want these people gone. I am tried of talking to answering machine and voice mail. I hope they don't ruin the house. I will go down to the court house next week and file from a eviction. How long will process takes (roughly) and do I need a lawyer?

JasonSnake

Established Member
Be friendly and see what's the problem. Maybe they've run into a snag. Ask them if they can get a cash advance or maybe slap a late payment fee on top of January's / December's rent.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Thanks. I want these people gone. I am tried of talking to answering machine and voice mail. I hope they don't ruin the house. I will go down to the court house next week and file from a eviction. How long will process takes (roughly) and do I need a lawyer?

Yeah, it's a good idea to consult with a lawyer to make sure you are doing everything correctly. The clerks at the court house and the marshalls aren't going to be able to walk you through what you need to do. PM FordSVTFan. He won't really be able to give you legal advice, but he knows a lot about stuff like this and can give you some better direction than a lot of others. I believe that he owns a couple rentals and is about to take the Bar. Try Esqeddy too, he is a lawyer also. You need to get a lawyer in your state though.

txyaloo

Established Member
In Texas, you must go before the JP court and file suit. Make sure you send your eviction notice via certified mail so you have verification the tenants received it. If you win the trial, you will receive a writ of possession which can then be served by a constable.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Do yourself a favor: when this is sorted out, get rid of your rental properties. They shaved years off of my stepdad's life.

fieldy301

Established Member
Are they elderly? Do they have kids? I do not know a ton about this but I know in MA it can take months to evict someone....Also in MA I believe the law varies if kids are involved or if the tenant is elderly....Good Luck if you are looking into eviction speak to a lawyer...Eviction is not cheap and it can take a very long time....at least here in MA....I am an RE agent in MA and have seen banks offer 3000+ dollars to tenants to get them to move out rather then filing for an eviction....

blueovalfan

Established Member
Is this the first time they have been late, or are they just trouble makers and you want them gone?

oldmodman

Established Member
Get a management firm to handle your properties.

I found it to not be worth the hassle of dealing with people. I just want the money.

I also found that for every twenty great tenants you will get one scumbag lowlife that lives his or her entire life ripping off landlords, shopkeepers, and anyone that they come in contact with.

Ahh....If only murder were still legal.

unforgiven

Humble
Established Member
Expect a call from the local Health Dept when you try to evict. Tenants will resort to dirty tactics when facing the street.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
be nice. The house I own was a rental prior to my buying it. The previous tenants gutted the place when the guy evicted them. They tore the toilets out, drywall, they just plain trashed the place. So, I would be firm, but nice.

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
Forewarning, its hard and can get nasty when evicting. I actually knew a guy who lived in apartments and would never pay. Every 4-6 months he was moving but never payed a dime.

It'll usually take 3 months to finally evict someone for non-payment.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Sooner you get the eviction process started the better. In North Carolina it takes almost a month to get someone threw out.

Users who are viewing this thread