Newbie Shifting Question

3Laser3

Established Member
I've been interested in the Cobras for awhile and I've yet to drive one. I've never driven a 6 speed manual, only 5 spd. My fear is while driving that I would accidently shift into reverse instead of 5th gear. Is there something that prevents this? Has anybody done this before?

Also since never driving a 6spd vehicle, how often do you drive in 6th gear?

Thanks!

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Are you even old enough to drive yet??? :shrug: why ask such a dumb question.....o wait your a newb welcome to the forums!

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
Hollyyyyy Shit......LOL

Just go test drive one but make sure you got insurance.....Welcome to the Forums

Number798

91 Galant VR-4...EVO 0
Established Member
To answer the question...Yes; there is a lock out of 6th gear while in forward motion. How often do you drive in 6th? Depends on your driving habits. Alot of interstate then yes.

cobralove90

Established Member
i have and dependin on where u live u might not have to use 5th but if u do then watch where u go and keep a eye on it, eventally you'll get the hang of it

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
driver mod will prevent you from going into reverse while moving, but honestly i never even use 5th gear ... but i use 6th all the time, hellacious gas milage in it.... run through the gears 1-4 then hit 6th .... if you fear you will go into reverse instead of 5th... dont use it, or dont buy a 6 speed:burnout:

Last edited:

03cobrah

Established Member
is there a lockout going from 2nd gear to 1st gear, at 50-60mph? like if i was driving from a roll in 2nd going for 3rd but hit 1st on accident? this is my first stick, i've always wondered about this, but am not willing to find out myself lol

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
is there a lockout going from 2nd gear to 1st gear, at 50-60mph? like if i was driving from a roll in 2nd going for 3rd but hit 1st on accident? this is my first stick, i've always wondered about this, but am not willing to find out myself lol

No, no there isnt... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread