News blackout - Ohio cloud of Polyvinyl chloride death

Morgan

Established Member
Here’s one potential source- I’ll hunt and dig more later. :|

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
We’re being told the derailment was caused by a “broken axle.” For me, this is hard to believe since the axle is the strongest part of the car. I think more likely is what a bad wheel bearing. When they get worn, faulty or damaged they will push the lubricating grease out of the housing until it becomes metal on metal. We call this a “hot box.” If a hot box isn’t detected it will eventually cause a derailment.

This is where wayside detectors come into play. These detectors are usually placed on either side of populated areas so hot boxes, dragging equipment, etc., can be detected and the train can be stopped until repairs can be made.

This derailment was caused by lack of maintenance period. The profit above all else model that the railroads have implemented are to blame and nothing more.

Don’t let the media gaslight you by blaming Trump or the lack of ECP brake systems. Those systems only prevent derailments caused by improper train handling (I.e. crew mistakes) NOT equipment defects caused by lack of maintenance.

Ours are usually 15-20 miles apart. It’s a 60 mph non-passenger line. It’s possible they are closer in larger metropolitan areas, but I assume speeds are lower as well. Our seniority line ends before Chicago.

We had a pretty good derailment in ‘22 caused by dragging equipment lifting a container off an axle. Guess who the last guy to do the DD/Hotbox test was…

That’s right, this guy. Little bit of a pucker factor rolling up to the location before seeing it missed the equipment.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Ours are usually 15-20 miles apart. It’s a 60 mph non-passenger line. It’s possible they are closer in larger metropolitan areas, but I assume speeds are lower as well. Our seniority line ends before Chicago.

We had a pretty good derailment in ‘22 caused by dragging equipment lifting a container off an axle. Guess who the last guy to do the DD/Hotbox test was…

That’s right, this guy. Little bit of a pucker factor rolling up to the location before seeing it missed the equipment.

Our max speed is 40mph on a shared line (25mph max for key trains). Our detectors are about that as well but half of them are out of service.

I’ve been on the ground more times than I can count and every time I’ve done the class 1 I get that sinking feeling too lol.

I don’t think people realize how common derailments are.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Our max speed is 40mph on a shared line (25mph max for key trains). Our detectors are about that as well but half of them are out of service.

I’ve been on the ground more times than I can count and every time I’ve done the class 1 I get that sinking feeling too lol.

I’ve been here 12 years and am still amazed at our derailments, particularly yards and such…even if thy aren’t news worthy in the same way.

(I’m also amazed by the number of people who get themselves killed at crossings, but that’s another discussion)

MG0h3

Established Member

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member

Or how common systems and equipment is on the fritz and down. I know of 2 crossings where the cross bars do not go down, but at least the lights and bells work.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member

When I first started in the utility industry, I worked 6 months in the coal yard. One of my duties was driving this tiny locomotive. We'd snag about 12-14 coal cars at a time and bring them in from the main train (100-115 cars) to the car dump and back out...

One of the things that always blew my mind was when wed talk about "The Hill." the incline going out and decline coming into the plant was not something you could even see with yuor eyes really.. but in that train.... holy **** balls.... a loaded train, even just 12 cars on a baby locomotive was a ****ing juggernaut.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Or how common systems and equipment is on the fritz and down. I know of 2 crossings where the cross bars do not go down, but at least the lights and bells work.

They don’t want to pay for any kind of maintenance. Some of our track is so bad we’re limited to 5mph. All they care about is profits.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
When I first started in the utility industry, I worked 6 months in the coal yard. One of my duties was driving this tiny locomotive. We'd snag about 12-14 coal cars at a time and bring them in from the main train (100-115 cars) to the car dump and back out...

One of the things that always blew my mind was when wed talk about "The Hill." the incline going out and decline coming into the plant was not something you could even see with yuor eyes really.. but in that train.... holy **** balls.... a loaded train, even just 12 cars on a baby locomotive was a ****ing juggernaut.
They call those shuttle locos and yes they look so cute being so small.

I remember the local cryo plant had what looked like a small tractor but it had road going wheels and tires, semi sized and rollers front and back to go on the tracks, and so it was on the back of a box car sort of like a motorcycle on an RV, sideways. I always wanted it when I was a kid, but sadly the company closed up about 10 years ago and it vanished to who knows where. I think it was a track inspection vehicle.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Please elaborate.
I would love to argue this point with a lefty person I know.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

He can go more in depth, but it’s physics.

Standard air brakes essentially lock up car by car as air is lost in any sort of failure or emergency…so it’s just a matter of seconds for every individual car to have brakes applied.

Or whatever these electronic brakes are, are faster. But how fast? And does it matter how fast you hit the brakes if a 18,000 ton object is traveling 55 mph, possible downhill?

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Please elaborate.
I would love to argue this point with a lefty person I know.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

@72MachOne99GT

Clint is spot on.

ECP brakes using electronics to allow the engineer to apply and release the brakes on every car simultaneously.

Traditional air brakes take time for the engineers inputs to reach every car in the train.

The braking system means nothing in this situation.

The train derailed because of an equipment defect.

The train was on the ground and burning before the crew knew what was happening. They were essentially passengers in this situation and simple physics took over.

It’s like going to the track and snapping a half shaft and your mechanic telling you “Well if you only had Hawk pads this never would’ve happened.”

The media and the administration are gaslighting the people to protect Buttplug’s presidential ambitions and because we wanted to strike in part because of these safety issues.

Users who are viewing this thread