News: Seventh-Generation S650 Mustang

EditorTurner

Established Member
0-S650-Mustang-Debut-in-2020-Featured.jpg

Seventh Star
A new report says the next-gen S650 Mustang will debut in May of 2020
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company

According to a new report from the accounting firm UHY LLP, the seventh-generation Mustang will debut in May of 2020 after the S550 ceases production in April of that year. That North American Automotive Production Forecast also says that the start of production for the next-gen Mustang was bumped up by a couple of years and its codename was changed.

“Program code for the next‐generation Mustang (S550(ng)) has been changed to S650 and the SOP has been shifted back from January 2022 to May 2020,” says the UHY LLP report. “Subsequently, the EOP for the S550 has been moved to April 2020.”

We’d have to assume that S550NG was a working title, as S650 definitely has a better ring to it. Moreover, Ford’s engineers must be putting in a lot of overtime to produce such an important vehicle in a shorter timespan.

Now, this information just comes from one accounting firm report, so we won’t lock it in as fact just yet. However, UHY LLP appears to be a reputable player in that world.

“UHY Advisors is one of the top 20 professional services firms in the US, and UHY International is one of the largest accounting networks in the world,” says the company’s website. “While that scale may provide confidence for some of our clients, most tell us our greatest value is in the way we bring these resources to bear to help address today’s evolving business challenges.”

You can peep the full report here if you want to learn more about what might be coming from the automotive manufacturers.

2-S560-Mustang-Debut-in-2020.jpg

Here’s a screen cap of the UHY LLP report, which outs the next-gen Mustang’s S650 codename and production month. There are some interesting tidbits about other Ford vehicles here as well.

1-S560-Mustang-Debut-in-2020.jpg

It seems like the heralded S550 Mustang will gallop off into the sunset in April of 2020 to make way for what looks to be the debut of the seventh-gen, 2021 Mustang.

C0bra_M3nace

Cobra Fanatic
Established Member
Awesome! I can't wait to see what the next 4 years hold for the sixth-gen. I'm sure the seventh-gen will be as good if not better than the sixth-gen.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Very interesting, but I bet that date could easily move back. One question I have is if regular GT's will see mag-ride before the next generation.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Amazing they are only giving the S550 5 years of production. I wonder if they bumped up the 650 because the Camaro is gonna be smashing the stang in performance.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Another interesting note is the extension of the Taurus!! Everyone is saying the AWD Ecoboost Fusion is the replacement for the SHO.

SVT Rob

Established Member
I like the extension of the Taurus.

For the Mustang, being that they changed from S550NG (S550- Next Generation) to S650, I would imagine the platform is going to basically remain the same with some exterior and probably drivetrain changes coming into effect. The S197 went through some radical changes exterior wise in 2010 with the newly designed body, then powertrain in 2011, and another minor body resculpture in 2013. Also, look back to the Fox chassis platform. That was in effect from 1979-2004, but it also encompasses the SN95 redesign in 1994, and then the New Edge upgrade in 1999.

Just food for thought :D

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member

For the Mustang, being that they changed from S550NG (S550- Next Generation) to S650, I would imagine the platform is going to basically remain the same with some exterior and probably drivetrain changes coming into effect. The S197 went through some radical changes exterior wise in 2010 with the newly designed body, then powertrain in 2011, and another minor body resculpture in 2013. Also, look back to the Fox chassis platform. That was in effect from 1979-2004, but it also encompasses the SN95 redesign in 1994, and then the New Edge upgrade in 1999.

I can't believe Ford still going to drag out that old Taurus chassis, they must be making bank in China with it. But I think you're on to something, Ford seems to keep a chassis around for 8-10 years while make updates to keep it fresh.

chuckstang

Established Member

Don't confuse this with a refresh which is happening in 2018. This will be an entirely new Mustang. Id wager a much lighter Mustang, but lets hope with a V8 option!

liter of cola

Established Member
there will always be a v8 option for the stang according to that indian fellah that was involved with the unveil of the gt350 (sorry forgot his name). if not the 350 will be the last mustang I buy.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Probably similar to SN-95 to New Edge, but with a lot of suspension upgrades.

saf1

Established Member
Camaro isn't going to be smashing anything. Cars are more or less equal so comes down to personal bias. Sales are doing well and the current platform is solid. I'd wager it is more of a road map for refresh and later new.

Users who are viewing this thread