NGK-R BR7EF Plugs

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
This 7 isnt a bad plug, but lets face it. The TR6 has been be a proven plug for over a decade now in these cars. I have ran the 6 in every combo I have had, stock eaton, high boost eaton, eaton n20, small twin screw, big twin screw.

I run the TR6 in my 2.8H @ 26-27psi, 11.5:1 AFR, 23 degrees of timing and always check for signs of detonation gapped @ .024 I run 110 or C16 at the track on a fresh set of plugs. Im pretty keyed in on how my car runs, and perform alot of visual inspections on items, and wouldnt run something if has the possibility of damaging my setup. 20HP is 20HP, if the plug works well with your combo then run it.

I tested these two plugs back to back on the dyno and at the track, same day, same timing, safe afr. The results dont lie, the car made more power, and ran better mph. You will lose power with the 7's plain and simple.

For 95% of the applications E85 or gas the tr6 is a better choice by my 2 cents.

Last edited:

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
This 7 isnt a bad plug, but lets face it. The TR6 has been be a proven plug for over a decade now in these cars. I have ran the 6 in every combo I have had, stock eaton, high boost eaton, eaton n20, small twin screw, big twin screw.

I run the TR6 in my 2.8H @ 26-27psi, 11.5:1 AFR, 23 degrees of timing and always check for signs of detonation gapped @ .024 I run 110 or C16 at the track on a fresh set of plugs. Im pretty keyed in on how my car runs, and perform alot of visual inspections on items, and wouldnt run something if has the possibility of damaging my setup. 20HP is 20HP, if the plug works well with your combo then run it.

I tested these two plugs back to back on the dyno and at the track, same day, same timing, safe afr. The results dont lie, the car made more power, and ran better mph. You will lose power with the 7's plain and simple.

For 95% of the applications E85 or gas the tr6 is a better choice by my 2 cents.

thats really strange because i found the exact opposite.. i have dyno sheets somewhere! We do alot of testing with plugs and gaps...

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Also, as someone else pointed out the TR6 has a projected tip, and the BR7EF has a recessed tip. These plugs arent technically in the same family. It would nice to use the same projected style tp in a BP series.

sean r

Established Member
thats really strange because i found the exact opposite.. i have dyno sheets somewhere! We do alot of testing with plugs and gaps...
I would think The only way that 7 plug should help make more hp is if you were having some detonation with your combo.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Im sticking with br7s in my setup. I like the added safety and lets be honest for a street car 20hp when your at a higher level is not noticeable.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
I had complete opposite with plugs, I ran TR6 made 705 HP then switched to BR7's because my car just ran horrible at cold start so I figured i'd give it a try. I made 734 with the BR7's

All done on KB 2.8 23psi 22* timing 11.3 AFR ----

Next track outing with the auto I now plan to make a pass on the BR7's and some on the TR6's..

BTW anyone who is looking for a deal on spark plugs go to Advance Auto and use the code ES123 I can usually get 24 plugs for like $30...just a FYI

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Im sticking with br7s in my setup. I like the added safety and lets be honest for a street car 20hp when your at a higher level is not noticeable.

Worth about an average of 1.5mph out the back. I agree, no reason to jeapordize safety which is I perform a solid plug diagnosis after a pass on a new set to make sure all is Kosher. You will see what is going on inside the combustion chamber by looking at the base ring, timing strap, and porcellin. This will give of details way before the wideband will give it off.

Last edited:

boost4me

Banned
Hey I'm running TR6IX's, they were fine when I had my eaton with a 2.76, but with my new whipple at 20psi I'm getting major spark blow out.

So based on this thread I'm considering trying the BR7EF plugs. Any idea what I should start the gap at?

Keep in mind that even when I had the eaton w/2.76 I had to gap down to .028 to get rid of my blow out issues.

Users who are viewing this thread