NGK VS. DENSO What plugs do you use/like?

venomous03svt_1

venomous03svt_1
Established Member
So with the mods i have listed below, i put the NGK TR6's in and just yesterday i pulled them all out and one arm was completely gone! others are chipped off. :(

What plugs do have/like??? NGK-tr6-v power-iridium?? OR DENSO OR WHAT?????:dw:

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Ive always used ngks in my cammed gt and the cobra. I havent had any problems other then that pesky idle. Ill try iridiums soon or later.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
hpp put in tr7s gapped at .028 on my car when they tuned it. that was after I drove up to their shop with 1 day old tr6s gapped at .035. car dyno'd and runs strong, perfect idle :shrug:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Im a NGK whore myself.

TR6 gapped at the highest gap you can get away with. .028-.032 for me.

NGK TR7ixs. End of story. And use the .035-.036 gap they come with. .032 is for homos.

hrm. anything larger than .032 and i get spark blowout up past 5500.

anytime you add boost you increase cylinder pressures which results in spark blowout up top, thusly the lesser gap. Its not the same for all cars, which is why i like to tell people to start off small and work up at .002-.004 at a time and see how much gap they can get away with. More gap = more power but higher chance of blowout with FI cars.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
Construction of NGK and Denso plugs is similar for the most part, the big difference being Denso's use of a 0.4mm Iridium tipped centre electrode - claimed to be the world's smallest production centre electrode, where NGK's IX centre electrode is 0.6mm. As with NGK Iridium, and indeed most other spark plugs, the narrower the centre electrode is, the lower the potential difference (voltage) that is required to jump the gap between centre and ground electrodes. It follows that the Denso plug will require an even lower 'spark jump' voltage than the NGK plug. The Denso plug also utilises a 'u-grooved' ground electrode which is claimed to aid in the production of a 'flame core' which further improves the combustion process. In theory, all the benefits offered by NGK Iridium plugs are further improved by the Denso Iridium plugs - with the exception of service life. The smaller diameter of the Denso centre electrode means that less wear can take place before the plugs' optimum service life is exceeded.
Iridium spark plugs by NGK and Denso

black 10th vert

Established Member
Construction of NGK and Denso plugs is similar for the most part, the big difference being Denso's use of a 0.4mm Iridium tipped centre electrode - claimed to be the world's smallest production centre electrode, where NGK's IX centre electrode is 0.6mm. As with NGK Iridium, and indeed most other spark plugs, the narrower the centre electrode is, the lower the potential difference (voltage) that is required to jump the gap between centre and ground electrodes. It follows that the Denso plug will require an even lower 'spark jump' voltage than the NGK plug. The Denso plug also utilises a 'u-grooved' ground electrode which is claimed to aid in the production of a 'flame core' which further improves the combustion process. In theory, all the benefits offered by NGK Iridium plugs are further improved by the Denso Iridium plugs - with the exception of service life. The smaller diameter of the Denso centre electrode means that less wear can take place before the plugs' optimum service life is exceeded.
Iridium spark plugs by NGK and Denso

I agree that the center electrode being smaller is an advantage (with the exception of wear), but definitely question the whole "u-groove" b.s. Electricity will follow the path of least resistance PERIOD! It will not magically shoot out a whole u-channel to make a bigger spark - it will just pick the closest point to arc from. This proven time and time again with those Split Fire plugs that were marketed heavily in the '90's to ignorant people that thought they would get a double spark out them because they had 2 electrodes. In actuality the spark would eventually just wear on one side until the resistance was high enough that it would follow the other side. This stuff does in fact sell product to the uninformed masses, though, so I don't blame them for trying to market their so-called advantage. Just look at all the people that buy into that "Tornado" thing that you put in the air intake thinking that they will get better mileage and added hp!:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread