NHRA: Best day to attend?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
It really is an amazing experience. If only one day to pick, Sunday eliminations of course!!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Bring hearing protection. If you think open exhaust on a mustang is loud, well.....

This x1000. Thought my damn head was going to explode. Even with ear protection it still "hits" you every time they line one up.

Oh and im a Saturday guy. Sunday is just too many people.

MFE

Established Member
If you're down near the starting line, the TF's and Funnies will actually make your hair vibrate. Craziest thing ever.

They don't so much accelerate as explode down the track. You can tell the rookies in the audience by who jumps when they launch.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
It's a beautiful noise.
It's freakin' HEAVEN SENT! There's NOTHING that compares to being next to a pair of TF or FC cars when they hammer the throttle and unload a holy war on your eardrums! I think the only thing better would be FOUR TF or FC cars running at full song (Zmax dragway 4 wide)! It's just indescribable. You HAVE to experience it at least once in your life.

U.M.

These videos don't even do it justice....

lilcoop03

Established Member
Yep, the 4-wides are crazy.. Its almost like you can feel each cylinder fire hitting you in the chest when they go by you.

Those cars are literally a semi-controlled explosion going down the track.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If you're down near the starting line, the TF's and Funnies will actually make your hair vibrate. Craziest thing ever.

They don't so much accelerate as explode down the track. You can tell the rookies in the audience by who jumps when they launch.

Lol, I've seen people duck lol.
They will be talking, not paying attention, and then bam the car launches and the person ducks like a missile is heading their way!

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
Lot of times the racers will actually sell their old used slicks. They usually cut a small slit in the sidewall so they can't be reused. They sell other stuff too! I've got a massive aluminum connecting rod from one of Shirley Muldowney's cars where she blew the motor. She even autographed it for me.

U.M.

I knew her son John. His shop was maybe 30 minutes from me. Dude was out there but man did he know his shit when it came to Nitro Cars. I was sad to learn he had passed. He was a riot to hang around with at the track.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I knew her son John. His shop was maybe 30 minutes from me. Dude was out there but man did he know his shit when it came to Nitro Cars. I was sad to learn he had passed. He was a riot to hang around with at the track.

I was in Englishtown NJ for my first trip to an NHRA event in June of '08. Watching the qualifying rounds on Saturday, when we all witnessed the death of Scott Kalitta, as well as the end of 1/4 mile NHRA events.
Poor Scott, the car never deployed chutes, he hit the end of the track, got airborne, and his car hit a steel pole which was supporting a safety net. They found the engine 300+ yards in the woods. What a shame. I wasn't even sure if I could ever attend another race, but I did and have since learned to deal with it.
NHRA racing was forever changed when Scott passed. 1000 ft has now become the norm.

Last edited:

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I was in Englishtown NJ for my first trip to an NHRA event in June of '08. Watching the qualifying rounds on Saturday, when we all witnessed the death of Scott Kalitta, as well as the end of 1/4 mike NHRA events.
Poor Scott, the car never deployed chutes, he hut the end of the track, got airborne, his car hit a steel pole which was supporting a safety net. They found the engine 300+ yards in the woods. What a shame. I wasn't even sure if I could ever attend another race, but I did and have since learned to deal with it.
NHRA racing was forever changed when Scott passed. 1000 ft has now become the norm.

+1

My father and myself had the pleasure of talking with Eric Medlen in the pits early on a Sunday morning when nobody else was around. He was the nicest guy and talked to us for about 10 minutes when he probably had places to be. This was not too long before he passed as well. RIP

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
If given a choice of all three days I would go Friday. Everyone is trying to get into the show and record/fastest runs happen plus the fire out of the exhaust is crazy. Between Saturday and Sunday sometimes all cars might not make a pass if they are comfortable with where they are at plus all the class cars are running. Things are a little slower Sunday but it is for all the marbles so I would probably pick Sunday over Saturday. You will totally enjoy either day its incredible! Have fun!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I hope not, but they have already gone fast trap speeds at 1000 than they did 10 years ago in the 1/4.

I dont know how they could make the cars safer to travel faster in the 1/4 but I suspect that they tracks would need a lot more cool down length to handle the faster 1/4 speeds.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
As everyone else has said, the noise is amazing. It's truly hard to comprehend as nothing else sounds, or feels, the way it does

The only thing I'd add, and this happened to me the very 1st time I went, is that when the green light comes on that Christmas tree, the acceleration of the motor is literally, and I mean literally instantaneous

Yes, the car obviously takes off and accelerates down the track (duh!) but there is no perceived "wind up" of the motor

And that will shock the heck outta ya!

(for others that know, am I explaining this appropriately?)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Zemedici

Established Member
Ear protection required. And as others stated the sound is like no other. It’s a life changing experience

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
The only thing I'd add, and this happened to me the very 1st time I went, is that when the green light comes on that Christmas tree, the acceleration of the motor is literally, and I mean literally instantaneous

Yes, the car obviously takes off and accelerates down the track (duh!) but there is no perceived "wind up" of the motor

And that will shock the heck outta ya!

(for others that know, am I explaining this appropriately?)
Yes for the most part. They go WOT and let the 6 disc centrifugal clutch pack do the rest. Motor RPM stays steady for the most part throughout the run. There's pretty much no wind up as you say. Light goes green and the motor instantly goes to 8500 RPM until about half track when the clutch finally goes into full lock up. The RPM's actually go down a bit when that happens if you listen carefully.

U.M.

floodstang

Established Member
The first time I heard a Top Fuel I thought, "No way that much noise comes out of that." It is literally earth shaking. Make sure you hang around in the pits while they warm up a Top Fuel. Another good spot to be is at the finish line. You really get a good perspective of how fast 300mph is. Stock and Super Stock is really cool to watch too. It's like a muscle car show with the cars being used like there were meant to be used.

Users who are viewing this thread