Nissan GT-R

brainpa

Established Member
Just read the spread in (I think) R&T when they compared the new GT-R against the ZO-6 and the 911 TT.

Now I will die a ford fan, but, holy bejezzus...anyone else get the thought that this car is ging to absolutely DOMINANT on the streets??? And with the undoubtedly-to-come tuners.....remember this is the Skyline in Japan, and they cannot be touched when high HP is added....

I love their statement:

Porsche used to say "...There is no substitute". Well, until now.

I dunno...I was really impressed.

Needless to say, it will be interesting to see the aftermarket effect on these cars.

scn

Established Member
This subject has already been discussed in great detail a couple weeks ago.
King of the Streets? No.
It lags behind the others in accelleration and I just don't see it beating Z06 TT let alone a FGT TT or Viper TT.
Is it fast? Yeah.
Is it supreme? No.

brainpa

Established Member
SCN:

I agree with you in principle. Consider a Heffner TT GT or TT Viper...YES, brute HP, unrivalved in the modified form. If you do research on some of the tweaked AWD Sylines (ala GT-R), I think the performance, FOR THE MONEY, outweighs the other options...but I could be wrong...

The Ford GT's are running 190-225 K for the BASE car (If you can get one), with 25-40K for the turbo(s). The Viper is actually the cheapest way with about a $25K price for the package. And lets not talk about Lambo's TT package, which the "upgraded" TT package requiring an engine rebuild first, for sick $.

So, trying to stak on topic. The acceleration numbers were well matched, acording to the article, with nothing really clearly blowing away the other in the quarter - I think all around 11.7 in the 1320 if I recall.

Thr GT-R was, however, significantly faster through the twisties, with almost a 5 SECOND quicker lap time over the - are you ready - the 911 TT.

These are OEM cars. We here at SVTP are always on a "performance" mindset, so, really, we're talkin madded cars. My point is I think you will see that the aftermarket will make this car DOMINANT in the bang for the buck category, in comparison to many of the "exotics" that Nissan has set the benchmark for it's car development upon.

cthunder

Established Member
It lags behind the others in accelleration and I just don't see it beating Z06 TT let alone a FGT TT or Viper TT.

Therein lies your issue... you're comparing modified cars to a stocker. Does that mean that any of those cars can match the acceleration of a top fuel dragster? how about the cornering of an F1 car?

BlownReptile

Established Member
The GT-R is cool....but its still a Japanese car :shrug: Nothing against Japanese cars, I just don't ever see myself going with an import as long as there are viable domestics to be had.

canibus

Established Member
how much is the gt-r? anyone who can afford it, isn't worried about money. so the best bang for the buck theory pretty much goes out the window

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
it will be interesting to see how well this car sells. i dont think the average guy will know what it is so it may not sell very well thus might not last on the market. time will tell

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just read the spread in (I think) R&T when they compared the new GT-R against the ZO-6 and the 911 TT.

Now I will die a ford fan, but, holy bejezzus...anyone else get the thought that this car is ging to absolutely DOMINANT on the streets??? And with the undoubtedly-to-come tuners.....remember this is the Skyline in Japan, and they cannot be touched when high HP is added....

I love their statement:

Porsche used to say "...There is no substitute". Well, until now.

I dunno...I was really impressed.

Needless to say, it will be interesting to see the aftermarket effect on these cars.

One thing you need to understand is the fact that cars are only as fast as their drivers! :read::idea:

;-):poke::p

PS On a side note I just finished the article, yeah I know I'm behind a bit, and I find it pretty amazing that the C6-Z06 got it's ass handed to it!!! :pepper: I say 'bring 'em on!!!!!! I aint skeered!

JohnnyBlaze

Established Member
Aren't these things still all but impossible to mod for the most part? Havent read up in a while, but a while back there was a story about the nav giving a warning when one was taken for track testing saying the warranty would be voided if it was taken on the track. The computer was supposedly a really REALLY tough one to crack as well. To my knowledge, not even Top Secret or HKS have cracked into it for any real performance work and they've had theirs for a while.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
The computers already been cracked. These things will be wicked fast with simply a tune. Should hit 10s.

However, the markup on these will be insane, to the point where the average person wont be able to afford one. I'd still prefer a C6 Z or Gt500, even if they arent the "in" car.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
This subject has already been discussed in great detail a couple weeks ago.
King of the Streets? No.
Is it fast? Yeah.
Is it supreme? No.

Apparently you didn't read the article. All 3 cars recorded a 3.4 second 0-60 time and the Z06 and 911 ran an 11.7 quarter mile while the GT-R hit an 11.8, so I'd say they are pretty evenly matched. As far as price goes, it was actually the cheapest car in the test, so the Z06 being the best bang for the buck car is gone now. As far as handling goes, it destroyed the other cars, just wasting them around a road course. Not only that, but the drivers, including racing legend Steve Millen, said it was the easiest car to drive around the track. Like pretty much anyone could go out there and run times only second away from the pros. Nissan has been doing the ultra high tech AWD systems for a while and the new GT-R is pretty much the pinnacle of its R&D. For the sheer amount of technology in the engine and drivetrain, you are getting one helluva car for a bargain.

Are you really comparing the stock GT-R to twin turbo supercars? Prices of those cars would be well north of $150k, not to mention the TT FGT, which would probably run you about $250k. Each one is probably making over 800hp as well, so yeah, I doubt a stock TT 3.8L 6 cylinder is going to beat two aftermarket TT big bore V8's and a mammoth TT 8.4L V10. I bet it wouldn't beat a Bugatti or a Konigsegg, but how often would you actually run into one of those cars to race?

The fact is the GT-R is a marvel of automotive engineering and a lot of people put the car down because its not only an import, but has the Nissan badge. Think you guys would like it more as an Infiniti? Just face it that the only domestic car around its price range that will come close to beating it is the ZR1, and I still bet it won't keep up around a track. Even chevy people agree that the ZR1 is all about brute power and speed, and the Z06 would still be the choice for track dawgs.

Bruce, with the amount of electronics helping out the GT-R drivers, you are definitely going to have your hands full once they start hitting tracks lol.

Last edited:

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
P.O.S.

:kaboom:
:xpl::xpl::xpl::xpl::xpl::xpl: :xpl::xpl::xpl::xpl:
:xpl::xpl::xpl::xpl::xpl::xpl: :xpl::xpl::xpl::xpl:
:kaboom:

I predict Fail

Last edited:

THE_STIG

Established Member
I saw a GTR in person and I gotta say, DAMN! They are hot cars, probably the only Nissan I would own. Not saying its the king of the streets but it would be one awesome DD.

scn

Established Member
Therein lies your issue... you're comparing modified cars to a stocker. Does that mean that any of those cars can match the acceleration of a top fuel dragster? how about the cornering of an F1 car?

I guess I should have stated that more clearly. I never implied stock vs non stock. Stock for stock, all the cars I mentioned would pull a stock GTR. (PS Sherlock, its already been done)
Go ahead and look at non stock. The GTR doesn't stand a chance.

scn

Established Member
Apparently you didn't read the article. All 3 cars recorded a 3.4 second 0-60 time and the Z06 and 911 ran an 11.7 quarter mile while the GT-R hit an 11.8, so I'd say they are pretty evenly matched. As far as price goes, it was actually the cheapest car in the test, so the Z06 being the best bang for the buck car is gone now. As far as handling goes, it destroyed the other cars, just wasting them around a road course. Not only that, but the drivers, including racing legend Steve Millen, said it was the easiest car to drive around the track. Like pretty much anyone could go out there and run times only second away from the pros. Nissan has been doing the ultra high tech AWD systems for a while and the new GT-R is pretty much the pinnacle of its R&D. For the sheer amount of technology in the engine and drivetrain, you are getting one helluva car for a bargain.

Are you really comparing the stock GT-R to twin turbo supercars? Prices of those cars would be well north of $150k, not to mention the TT FGT, which would probably run you about $250k. Each one is probably making over 800hp as well, so yeah, I doubt a stock TT 3.8L 6 cylinder is going to beat two aftermarket TT big bore V8's and a mammoth TT 8.4L V10. I bet it wouldn't beat a Bugatti or a Konigsegg, but how often would you actually run into one of those cars to race?

The fact is the GT-R is a marvel of automotive engineering and a lot of people put the car down because its not only an import, but has the Nissan badge. Think you guys would like it more as an Infiniti? Just face it that the only domestic car around its price range that will come close to beating it is the ZR1, and I still bet it won't keep up around a track. Even chevy people agree that the ZR1 is all about brute power and speed, and the Z06 would still be the choice for track dawgs.

Bruce, with the amount of electronics helping out the GT-R drivers, you are definitely going to have your hands full once they start hitting tracks lol.

Look at MPH and also what happens after the 1/4. That weight and AWD can't hide forever.

cthunder

Established Member
I guess I should have stated that more clearly. I never implied stock vs non stock. Stock for stock, all the cars I mentioned would pull a stock GTR. (PS Sherlock, its already been done)
Go ahead and look at non stock. The GTR doesn't stand a chance.

...I just don't see it beating Z06 TT let alone a FGT TT or Viper TT...

Where are you not implying? All of these cars that you mention DO NOT COME twin turbo'ed form the factory, meaning that they're modified... now stay with me Watson... that means you're IMPLYING stock vs modified. I would take a gander that the GT-R pulled a better 0-60 time than just about everything except the Porsche.

scn

Established Member
Where are you not implying? All of these cars that you mention DO NOT COME twin turbo'ed form the factory, meaning that they're modified... now stay with me Watson... that means you're IMPLYING stock vs modified. I would take a gander that the GT-R pulled a better 0-60 time than just about everything except the Porsche.

I know this may be hard for you to wrap your head around, but, STOCK FOR STOCK, meaning Z06 (7ltr N/A 505hp) Dodge Viper (8.4ltr N/A 600hp) and Ford GT (5.4 ltr FI insert under-rated hp here) will all pull a stock GTR.
NOW compair non stock (IE mod all cars, INCLUDING the GTR) to Z06TT, Viper TT, and FGT TT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread