nitrous and warranty

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I was wondering if you could run nitrous without voiding your warranty? What you guys would recommend as far as kits go ect, and if you can, the best way to do it. my car is stock and although Id really like to tune my car I'm hesitant on voiding the warranty. i'd just want something small like 75 shot. sry if this question has been answered a thousand times the search function is not working for me.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
You are taking a big risk running NO2 without a tune. I've heard stories of cars getting blown up with the spray, then the owners trying to get them warrantied. Oil analysis told the story, and the warranty got nixed.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That's a huge NO!

Here's a scenario for you. You run a wet kit at the track on Friday nights. The fuel/nitrous mixture puddles in your intake runner and causes a nitrous backfire, destroying your intake and some of the upper head component of your car.

You remove the nitrous kit from the vehicle and take it to your dealer claiming ignorance to the matter.

The first thing the dealer is going to do is look at the fuel trims, manifold air pressures and temperatures. They'll see an air temp around negative 150 degrees and they'll start laughing.

Then, they'll call you, tell you they won't warranty the damage and you'll be stuck with a nice repair bill.

Trained techs can absolutely tell if you've run nitrous through the motor and if it caused specific damage.

Bottom line. If you're worried about your warranty don't run nitrous, boost, altered tunes etc.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying if you do, don't rely on your warranty to repair your car.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
That's a huge NO!

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying if you do, don't rely on your warranty to repair your car.

Truth. Gotta pay to play. I want an aftermarket tune, but since I like having a warranty on something for the first time in over eight years I'm going to leave it alone till it runs out.

kirbyg16

Established Member
is this the same for dry nitrous?

Yes.
If you are even hesitant about your warranty nitrous is not something to put onto your car. Even though a 75 shot with a tune is very safe you have to be willing to understand things may go wrong.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
okay thanks guys that settles that.

It sounds like you want some more performance out of your car.

May I suggest weight reduction? Shedding pounds, over adding power makes your car accelerate faster, stop quicker and corner sharper.

There are things you can do to remove weight from your vehicle with sacrificing driving pleasure, comfort, security etc.

Start with the easy stuff. lightweight battery and make sure the nut behind the wheel is in shape.

If you need more, look at racing seats, rear-seat deletes, light-weight wheels and tires, driveshafts, pressure plates, two piece rotors etc.

A lot of these piece are considered wear items and not covered by warranty after a short period anyway. Plus, if a seat malfunctions, well, not a huge deal.

You can realistically shave 15-200 lbs, plus some rotating mass from your car, which translates to better performance in almost every category.

EDIT: For safety reasons, a seat malfunctioning IS a huge deal. However, the premise stands, as this isn't something that will prohibit you from driving the vehicle.

Last edited:

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
although i agree with what most people said, you dont really need a tune with 100 wet shot. just colder plug. wet shots when properly jetted are "tuned". dry requires tune and id stay away from that all together. just sayin. and some people have been lucky and run nitrous and been able to remove it when getting warranty work done, i have and know guys that have done it on a few cars, but it is very risky and we were prepared for them to say no, just thought we'd try and were lucky. but then again i didnt blow a motor and try to warranty it. just timing chains, clutches and the usual sensors that wouldve failed anyway. and this was with cars 2001 and older. a friend of mine used to blowup his 96 zr1 vette with a 200+ shot and get it warrantied alot, but that was back in 1998 so i dont know if their ecus logged what these do today.

nitrous isnt for everyone but it is pretty simple and safe if you know what your doing, which if you dont id stay away until your ready to learn and pay the potential costs of your learning curve.

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
nitrous isnt for everyone but it is pretty simple and safe if you know what your doing, which if you dont id stay away until your ready to learn and pay the potential costs of your learning curve.

This^^^

Nitrous gets a bad rep because most people have no experience with it. Just the stories they heard from there friends cousins uncles brother who blew his motor once.

I have ran it on two of my cars, beat the living hell out of them the entire time and never once had a problem. Gotta be smart and know what your doing. Its not fast and furious where you hit the switch and your good to go.

LS2GTO

Established Member
The first thing the dealer is going to do is look at the fuel trims, manifold air pressures and temperatures. They'll see an air temp around negative 150 degrees and they'll start laughing.

So the PCM records data when the engine is running and stores all that information in a black box type thing that can later be reviewed by anyone?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
So the PCM records data when the engine is running and stores all that information in a black box type thing that can later be reviewed by anyone?

Most PCM's record snapshots of engine conditions when a failure occurs. It helps with diagnostics and also determining if the root cause is something that was a defect with the vehicle or possible modifications etc.

I'm not a tuner so I can't speak to specifics. Perhaps one of the tuners on the boards will chime in on the subject.

But to think you could put a wet system on your car, without a tune, then take it off after any failure and get the manufacturer to cover it is pretty naive.

As stated above, a properly setup wet system should be okay without a tune. However, in the spirit of the original poster's question, no you won't get away with it if you hurt something on nitrous.

Heck one of the biggest things you see with wet kits is improper installation that creates pools of fuel and n2o in the intake runners, which can cause a backfire that I've personally seen destroy aluminum intakes, let alone the composite deals we have.

That would be a pretty big sign that something was on the car, without having to plug in a computer at all.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Most PCM's record snapshots of engine conditions when a failure occurs. It helps with diagnostics and also determining if the root cause is something that was a defect with the vehicle or possible modifications etc.

Maybe new Coyote PCM does such a thing, but I have never heard of this before, at least not in anything LSx OBDII related...which is why I asked and hopefully someone more knowledgeable in 2011s+ can confirm.

CobraPowered

Killin' Ricers EveryWhere
Established Member
Maybe new Coyote PCM does such a thing, but I have never heard of this before, at least not in anything LSx OBDII related...which is why I asked and hopefully someone more knowledgeable in 2011s+ can confirm.

While I can't confirm the above statement, I do know that alot of other auto companies went this directions years ago. The 2006 Civic Si was prob one of the first. They called it a little black box that was wired into the ECU/ECM, or tattle tail box as we called it. It wouldn't suprise me if just about every auto company has it in their cars now.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
There's no way you would still have a warrenty. If the motor goes an Ford does the tear down they will see on the pistons what cause it.

Users who are viewing this thread