Nitto 315s NT05 = Good Street Tire

MattN03

03RCODE
Established Member
MattN03 - if these nt05s can be used at a drag strip is probably going to depend on your power/tq level. I know that after running around on these nt05s for a few days, in my case, i'd say no way. It would just be wasted trip. I can't see a burnout creating enough heat to grab on launch or even a 1-2 shift. I'll probably end up order some 555R drag radials 315's and throw them on the factory 9" rims i have in my garage now and leave that as the "drag setup". If I was you and your car primarily sees sunshine only....I'd seriously consider going full time with the 555R drag radial. They will work in the rain fine when they have groove. It's about 4-5k miles in that the water passages are not effective and rain gets dangerous. You will be fine driving in an occasional dounpour when the tires have decent tread.

Thanks c6zhombre. The main reason I don't want a DR is because I live around a very curvy fun to drive area and have read to many negative reviews on DR + curves. I thought the NT05's might satisfy my occasional dragstrip pass and perform better in the curves. I have managed high 1.8-1.95's on the stock 245/45/17 Goodyears so I figured if I could do at least that well on these NT05's, I'd be good...

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
the nitto 555Rs handle pretty darn good for a drag radial, they are probably stiffer walled than most. however...i thought you were comparing the dr versus the nt05 all along.... i see you have the stock goodyrs right now. the nt05's will definitely be better than those, almost any tire choice would be. i thought the factory goodyrs were horrible, i did nothing but wheel hop. if you are cutting 1.90 range on factory goodyrs, you'll love the nt05s. they just don't like 490rwtq at 2100 rpms - lol

MattN03

03RCODE
Established Member
the nitto 555Rs handle pretty darn good for a drag radial, they are probably stiffer walled than most. however...i thought you were comparing the dr versus the nt05 all along.... i see you have the stock goodyrs right now. the nt05's will definitely be better than those, almost any tire choice would be. i thought the factory goodyrs were horrible, i did nothing but wheel hop. if you are cutting 1.90 range on factory goodyrs, you'll love the nt05s. they just don't like 490rwtq at 2100 rpms - lol

My Mach is no where near 490 rwtq, so that won't be a problem for me :beer:

Jroc

Established Member
No 315/30/18 = I will never experiance how good they are on the street.

RcodeStang

Established Member
I was under the impression that the nt05 didn't run narrow like the 555R? 315 is a lot of tire for a 9" wheel... Having a hard time telling how much they bulge from the pics but it seems like a lot.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i've actually accumulated some miles on these rear nt05's and i might have to reserve my right to change my opinion of the traction capability - it is definitely improving. i think maybe when i posted before, i didn't have enough miles on them and also we had some very rainy weather, so much so i think the first few days it was dry out we probably had water permeating back through the road surfaces. it was very dry over the holiday weekend and these things are really hooking now. :coolman:

Jefe

Established Member
I was under the impression that the nt05 didn't run narrow like the 555R? 315 is a lot of tire for a 9" wheel... Having a hard time telling how much they bulge from the pics but it seems like a lot.

Doesnt look like they bulge much at all. They are very close, the 555r's(305/18) are 12.48" wide the NT05's(315/17) are 12.4" wide

Users who are viewing this thread