Nitto Invo not the traction answer...

grobertx

Established Member
Well I only had 6K miles on OE tires but switched rears to Nitto Invo 295/35ZR/20 suggested by mod shop hoping for traction. To clarify this is my DD (20 miles a day), subject to rain and at the current time of year sub 50 degree temps. Drag radials don't appear to be ideal for me so I don't have them.:shrug:
Iphone1-23-14010.jpg

Iphone1-23-14009.jpg

These tires are much better than the OE however I'm still breaking loose in 2nd and 3rd. I'm not talking about the shift points but at the higher end of each gear. Basically right where the "sweet spot" kicks in and you feel you are moving forward at a very rapid rate... I control the slip at shift, roll to full throttle and as the speed really starts to kick in the tires break loose. This is usually followed by the rear end fish tailing to right IF I don't back off.

Can one reasonably expect to take a 700WHP / 700 TRQ car with street tires on a public street and not experience the slip described above??? I'm almost afraid to open it up next to another car...Maybe it will get better when we are back in the 90s temp wise.:??:

JimIII@jdm

Well I only had 6K miles on OE tires but switched rears to Nitto Invo 295/35ZR/20 suggested by mod shop hoping for traction. To clarify this is my DD (20 miles a day), subject to rain and at the current time of year sub 50 degree temps. Drag radials don't appear to be ideal for me so I don't have them.:shrug:
Iphone1-23-14010.jpg

Iphone1-23-14009.jpg

These tires are much better than the OE however I'm still breaking loose in 2nd and 3rd. I'm not talking about the shift points but at the higher end of each gear. Basically right where the "sweet spot" kicks in and you feel you are moving forward at a very rapid rate... I control the slip at shift, roll to full throttle and as the speed really starts to kick in the tires break loose. This is usually followed by the rear end fish tailing to right IF I don't back off.

Can one reasonably expect to take a 700WHP / 700 TRQ car with street tires on a public street and not experience the slip described above??? I'm almost afraid to open it up next to another car...Maybe it will get better when we are back in the 90s temp wise.:??:

Well with 700 RWHP the only thing that is going to help you is a better tire setup or better suspension. I see your go fast mods in your sig but I don't know what you have for suspension. A Watts link type suspension would eliminate the car fish tailing when you go into tire spin. Its still going to spin the tires but keep you on a straight path. If not opting for the watts link I would suggest some Eibach lowering springs, adjustable panhard bar, and BMR Upper/Lower control arms. The correct dampening on your shocks is also important. You don't wan't the rear end too stiff or it will not transfer the weight properly, again too lose and the car is all over the road. Gotta find the sweet spot.

JimIII

scottGT500

Established Member
Nitto 555r's are what I am going with next week when I get my new wheels. I had them on my '10 GT500 @700whp and they were great. Very reasonable for a DD car...which mine is also and I had 0 problems in rain or cold...I did and do want to enjoy all of the available power like you...just have to use your head knowing those tires are back there.

Scott

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
do you need to update your sig? I'm guessing you dyno'd with the twin 65.

badash77

Established Member
I went with the toyo r888. They are alot better than the stockers.I too was looking at the invos but decided on the 888s they were about 400 each so they did cost more but we will see how long they last. also was looking at the nitto nt01, i ran them before on a different car and was happy with them.:beer:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
You need a dr such as the 555r to go wot and hook, a street tire just isn't going to cut it unless your driving miss daisy.

grobertx

Established Member
555r's are the better choice

I'll try them next... The Invo are hooking up much better than stockers for now.

do you need to update your sig? I'm guessing you dyno'd with the twin 65.
Actually no; I'm guessing until I get back over on the Dyno... I was 681 so I feel relatively confident the CJTB and Lund tune gets me close enough to call it 700...

Can you post some side shots of the tires?
Sure;
iphone1-24-14001.jpg

iphone1-24-14002.jpg

Last edited:

grobertx

Established Member
Well I need to give an update... After driving for a week and getting some nice 65-70 degree weather I have to say the Nitto Invo are a million miles better than the GY. I must still exercise some throttle control in 1st & 2nd but nothing like before. I can pretty much open her up now. It can still break loose at the top end of 1, 2 & 3 but it is much more controllable now. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread