Nitto NT-05 or Kumho MX

slick4_6

Established Member
I have been running Kumho MX 275/40ZR17 for the last two years and they are now completely done. I probably got 15k-20k miles out of them. I loved the stickiness of them but now that I need more I can't seem to find any in stock. The NT-05 appears to be a comparable tire for the price. Anyone have any opinions on these tires to help me out or maybe some other tires that I am missing. The NT-05 only has 7/32 tread new while the MX has 9/32 which kinda makes me question how long it will last for me. I want the best handling tire I can get that will last me at least 10k-15k miles. I need brakes all around also so I am not looking to spend over the $700 or so range on tires. Or would you just keep looking and waiting for the Kumho's to come in stock?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I have not tried the NT-05 but everything I've read/studies says they should serve you well.

I love the MXs though.
If it were me I wouldn't be scared to run either and would probably buy which ever I can get sooner/cheaper.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
In his case it would be the 555RII but it seems he wants a street tire not a 100 treadwear "R" compound.

200-220 treadwear is a perfect compromise between grip/longevity.

slick4_6

Established Member
I want a tire that will really grip but a treadwear of 100 is a definite no go.

Only having 7/32 tread new worries me about the NT-05. I need at least 10k miles out of them. 10k miles will get me 2 years wear out of them. I have a slick right rear and 1/32 on the left rear and the weather is getting too nice to have it sit long. I might try to PM Discount Tire Direct on here and see what kind of time span I am looking at on the known to me MX. Some of the autocross forums say the XS has alot more grip than the MX but the MX likes it when they are hot, which I can attest to. Decisions, decisions.

Has anyone actually ran the NT-05?

Can the XS be driven in the rain? No one wants to drive their Cobra in the rain but sometimes you have to. Do they run any different being that they are asymmetrical instead of directional?

Last edited:

slick4_6

Established Member
In his case it would be the 555RII but it seems he wants a street tire not a 100 treadwear "R" compound.

200-220 treadwear is a perfect compromise between grip/longevity.

Exactly. While the 555RII would be extremely fun on the street, other than the rock chips they would cause, I cannot replace the tires at <10k miles.

drivebymashing

Established Member
i had the kumho mx and they were great
i got some 275 40 nexens and there actually pretty good
i make 307 at the wheels witha 3.55 gear and i can nail it in first gear and it wont spin that much if there warm it wont spin at all
100 bucks a piece there cheap

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
The XS can be driven in the rain and I have driven it in the rain. They seem to stick pretty well in the rain, but VERY well in the dry.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I think I will be going with the Kumho XS because they offer a 315. The Nitto only goes up to a 295 so far and the Dunlops only offer a 275 :( I really wanted the star specs, but I need more rubber on the rear.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
One of our autocross members (02 Mustang GT) has been running the XS (275/40/17 at all four corners) and has won his class two events in a row now. He reports they are a very sticky tire, but also commented that he would be very surprised if they lasted the entire season given the wear rate at the last two events. I'll see if I can get some pics of the wear rate after the third event......which is on the 25ht of this month.

GForceJunkie

Established Member
I have been running Kumho MX 275/40ZR17 for the last two years and they are now completely done. I probably got 15k-20k miles out of them. I loved the stickiness of them but now that I need more I can't seem to find any in stock. The NT-05 appears to be a comparable tire for the price. Anyone have any opinions on these tires to help me out or maybe some other tires that I am missing. The NT-05 only has 7/32 tread new while the MX has 9/32 which kinda makes me question how long it will last for me. I want the best handling tire I can get that will last me at least 10k-15k miles. I need brakes all around also so I am not looking to spend over the $700 or so range on tires. Or would you just keep looking and waiting for the Kumho's to come in stock?

I think the Falken RT-615 would be something to consider.
200 treadwear, 8/32's tread depth. $156.00 per at Discount Tire Direct.

275/40-17 Falken Azenis RT-615 Tires

Before I bought mine I was between the MX's and the 615's, I went with the 615's on price alone. In 3 years I put @10K miles on them, including 3 two day track events. When I sold the car they had about 3-4/32's tread depth left.
There are better track tires and better street tires but they do both reasonably well for the money. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread