Nitto NT555R's are on!

Breitling

Established Member
This "look" is what should have come with the car stock! :beer: The puny Goodyear 285's just look too narrow for a 662hp car IMO.

Agreed! If the air temperature was below ~70* the stock GYs were a nightmare for me. I just didn't have much confidence when I rolled into the throttle. Lots of spin/computer control nannies trying to help.

Breitling

Established Member
Good luck with them! I personally hate them. I couldn't get good traction in my cobra with 455hp. Switched to r888's and could get traction in 1st gear 85% of the time.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll see how I like them after some more seat time. But right now, I'm impressed with the upgrade.

Zemedici

Established Member
Looks nice. Like your bulge ;-)

+1 to night and day difference. Had Sumitomos and then 555rs and I can dead hook 1st from a 5mph rolling start.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a pretty rough statement. For one when on stock rims I don't think the R888 in a 315 is an option. I have the NT05's in 315 but the run narrower from what I've seen. With that being said I'm not sure what tire sizes you ran on the 2003 but if it is the same size then it is kind of an apples to orange compairson because on the 2013 you have a 305 555R or a 285 888.

Same tire size. I'm running 305/35/18's. Yes the R888's run wider as well. But the 555r's didn't even last me 2500 miles and I don't track the car or do burnouts.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Same tire size. I'm running 305/35/18's. Yes the R888's run wider as well. But the 555r's didn't even last me 2500 miles and I don't track the car or do burnouts.

Let me guess you got 20k out of the R888s :rolleyes:

Doesn't make any sense.
Same size 555R wil have better straight line acceleration than the R888s, any no way you got only 2500 out of the Nittos without driving around trying to be John Force. I also ran the 305/35/18 on 18x10.5 AFS replicas inin. 455rwhp '04 and got 10k out of them.
Run along now, stick to the Termi sections if you're going to spread BS
-J
:beer:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Let me guess you got 20k out of the R888s :rolleyes:

Doesn't make any sense.
Same size 555R wil have better straight line acceleration than the R888s, any no way you got only 2500 out of the Nittos without driving around trying to be John Force. I also ran the 305/35/18 on 18x10.5 AFS replicas inin. 455rwhp '04 and got 10k out of them.
Run along now, stick to the Termi sections if you're going to spread BS
-J
:beer:

Thanks for making assumptions. And no I haven't got 20k miles out of my R888's. Currently I have almost 3k miles. Yeah your right I'm just lying through my teeth. And where are you coming up with the 555r's will have better straight line performance? Suppose you read it off the internet? Funny the R888's suck so bad I have another new set waiting to be put on my TF wheels. But I see I'm NOT good enough for this section.

Get off your high horse cool guy.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
I think Bdubbs just probably had a bad set. We have talked about this before in another thread. What he experienced is far from typical with these tires.

As for straight line traction, both tires have an R compound and are nice and sticky, but the R888's have the stiffer sidewall. Typically a softer sidewall is going to provide better straight line traction while a stiffer sidewall will aid in cornering.

I have run both tires and can vouch for that. I think both tires are excellent and should be chosen based on your driving style and intended use.

paluka21

Established Member
I think Bdubbs just probably had a bad set. We have talked about this before in another thread. What he experienced is far from typical with these tires.

As for straight line traction, both tires have an R compound and are nice and sticky, but the R888's have the stiffer sidewall. Typically a softer sidewall is going to provide better straight line traction while a stiffer sidewall will aid in cornering.

I have run both tires and can vouch for that. I think both tires are excellent and should be chosen based on your driving style and intended use.

This sounds right. I've also run the NT555R in several different sizes, in both 17" and 18" and never experienced them being horrific or have poor traction. Sure they didn't hook like my MT ET streets, but they sure beat a standard radial tire.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Your probably right. Why I would lie about one tire to another doesn't benefit me in any way. If people on here actually know how I drive, they too would wonder why the life span on the 555r were bad.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for making assumptions. And no I haven't got 20k miles out of my R888's. Currently I have almost 3k miles. Yeah your right I'm just lying through my teeth. And where are you coming up with the 555r's will have better straight line performance? Suppose you read it off the internet? Funny the R888's suck so bad I have another new set waiting to be put on my TF wheels. But I see I'm NOT good enough for this section.

Get off your high horse cool guy.

I get on my high horse when I can't tolerate BS.
You show up in these GT500 threads, say you hate 555Rs and then make ridiculous claims of 2500 miles driving like grandma.
Answer these questions---did you buy the 555Rs new? what wheel size? tire pressure?
Its not even the same application (GT500 vs Cobra) and I HAVE driven the exact size tire on my previous Terminator and went 12.15/12.15/12.16 at 3 different tracks driving the car there with the same power you quote.
So I know them very well and got over 10k miles out of them in non-winter DD.

I think the r888s sound like great tires and would like to try a set, but YES, the manufacturer (Toyo owns Nitto) would recommend a 555R over an R888 for straight line traction.

If you have something relevant to offer to GT500 owners regarding these tires on this application, shoot.
If not, don't make BS claims and not expect to get called out cool guy.
-J

Beercules

Established Member
I just installed a set of these also. They do grip a lot better than the Michelin A/S 3's I had, but wander a bit at 90 on the interstate. Also, based on the GPS speed of my radar detector, they're a little larger than 700 revs/mile. It's a weekend driver, so I'm still playing with that number in the tune.

Breitling

Established Member
I just installed a set of these also. They do grip a lot better than the Michelin A/S 3's I had, but wander a bit at 90 on the interstate. Also, based on the GPS speed of my radar detector, they're a little larger than 700 revs/mile. It's a weekend driver, so I'm still playing with that number in the tune.

I haven't had my car on the interstate yet, so I'll have to see if it wanders on me like you describe.

And I need to hook up my wife's GPS to see how far off my speedo is - can't imagine it's that much different. Just thought of this: Does my stock Navi have GPS speed in it? I've never looked! If it does, I don't need my wife's GPS.

5BANERZ

Established Member
Just curious, if one were to take a car with these tires past 149 mph, what could potentially happen? I know the Shelby can go past 150 fairly easily and some may wish to use tires like this for 1/2 mile and standing mile events, in which case you will certainly exceed 150mph.

I've had my 555R's up to 162 and it felt good. No excessive wobble, etc. Of course this was on an Interstate in Mexico.

paluka21

Established Member
Good luck with them! I personally hate them. I couldn't get good traction in my cobra with 455hp. Switched to r888's and could get traction in 1st gear 85% of the time.

I just installed the 305/35/20 NT555R's and gotta say they are night and day difference compared to the stock Goodyears. I can drop the hammer in 1st with 3.73's gears in 70 degree weather, and these tires only slightly spin, and chirp 3rd gear under a hard powershift. (Ok, did I just admit to powershifting?) This is my 3rd or 4th NT555R size I've run on several different cars and I honestly can't see where they're horrible, and all of my cars have been 475rwhp -> over 700rwhp. I will say this, that I had a set of NT555R's in 275/45/17 many years ago which sat in a garage on rims for at least 6-7 years. I tried running them on the street and they were hard as hockey pucks and spun like crazy because the rubber was dry rotted. :D
I have no experience with the R888's, however if I were into road racing they would probably be my tire of choice.

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
I replaced my 295/35/20 MPSS rears on Monday with the Nitto NT55rs in 305/35/20 on my stock base wheels. Little budge on the rim and I can easy see my axle is a little more to the left side of the car but THESE TIRES ROCK VS THE MICHELINs in a straight line, are nearly as quiet on the road (mines a vert), and frankly handle very good with normal tire pressure. Even at 51 degrees out this morning they are way better than the MPSS's!

If you want all out straight line traction skip the MPSS on the rear!

Now I have a 1/3 used set of 295/35/20 101Y MPSS in my garage that'll never go back on. Anyone one want to buy them? :rolling:

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I just installed the 305/35/20 NT555R's and gotta say they are night and day difference compared to the stock Goodyears. I can drop the hammer in 1st with 3.73's gears in 70 degree weather, and these tires only slightly spin, and chirp 3rd gear under a hard powershift. (Ok, did I just admit to powershifting?) This is my 3rd or 4th NT555R size I've run on several different cars and I honestly can't see where they're horrible, and all of my cars have been 475rwhp -> over 700rwhp. I will say this, that I had a set of NT555R's in 275/45/17 many years ago which sat in a garage on rims for at least 6-7 years. I tried running them on the street and they were hard as hockey pucks and spun like crazy because the rubber was dry rotted. :D
I have no experience with the R888's, however if I were into road racing they would probably be my tire of choice.

Good sh!t.
I try not to be too pushy with the gear+DR recommendation, but it's just such a game changer on these cars that I feel it needs to be said.
And yes, you did say powershift ;-)
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had my 555R's up to 162 and it felt good. No excessive wobble, etc. Of course this was on an Interstate in Mexico.

Did but replace 162 with 170 and 555R with NT05R :)
Hope to see you at some local stuff this year.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread