No 2004 Cobra

89BIRD

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Always one of you guys lurking around in the woodwork on these boards!

Hell, I've only made a few posts on this board and so far I've been treated better than on some F-Body boards. :)

I think the simple fact its even an argueable point is pretty damn impressive concidering what the car is and how old.

Not bad for a V6 running 0-60 in 4.6, low 13's in the 1/4, and hitting 171 mph in the straights at Indy during trial runs. Yet the LS1 crowd will argue till the cows come home.

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by 99GTP guy
dayum, I wonder which one will be faster, lightning or the SRT? 500hp is alot.

Well i'm sure it will be faster than the current Lightning but Ford has more HP in the works. Either way the HP wars have begun that's good news for us.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 89BIRD
Hell, I've only made a few posts on this board and so far I've been treated better than on some F-Body boards. :)

Not bad for a V6 running 0-60 in 4.6, low 13's in the 1/4, and hitting 171 mph in the straights at Indy during trial runs. Yet the LS1 crowd will argue till the cows come home.

I was going to say... I thought that the 89 TTA and the ZR-1 was supposed to be one of the big show downs of that day.

My dad has a GN. I cant get over how fun those things are. If the 03 Cobra wasnt an option I would have concidered getting a used TTA sooner or later... Hell maybe ill get one some time anyway.

Last edited:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Also they used it in 89 TTA (500 mile pace car; not to be confused with the 79 Turbo Trans-am which iv heard is a real chugger), to this day they (as in pontiac F-body enthusiests) say its still a toss up stock for stock between a 98/02 LS1 and the 89 TTA LC2.

Actually, there was no 79 turbo T/A, it was an '80. No idea if it was available in '81, most likely it was as an option. The '79 'Bird had a choice of a Olds 403 or a Pontiac 400. You could tell by the shaker decal...6.6 Litre was the Olds, T/A 6.6 was the 400 (that's the one you wanted :rolling: ).

The '80 turbo was just as fast as any other car when you really put the boost to it. We made some wastegate adjustments and got that turbo glowing red in no time with a few 1/4 mile passes in front of the shop. :burnout:

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
RE: 10th Anniversary Cobra

Originally posted by 1qwkpny
The 10th aniv. model is a late '03 entry. There hasn't been much press on 'em.

Hey All,

Drop by the Ford SVT website- they have a few pics, and some info. There is also some info on this site if you do a search.

As for the basics: 10th anniversary Cobras will be produced in summer of '03 as '03 models. There will be 2003 made, w/ sequential VIN (supposedly). They come in red, blk, and silver. The interior comes in red leather only. SVT anniversary badge and floormats. Special wheels (look like new BMW M3 wheels to me).

See pic...

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
To tell the truth, I think they should offered it in a Blue Mystic, with wheels painted / keyed to match the body color. Interior w/ blue leather trim instead or red.

But thats just me.

M.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
Actually, there was no 79 turbo T/A, it was an '80. No idea if it was available in '81, most likely it was as an option. The '79 'Bird had a choice of a Olds 403 or a Pontiac 400. You could tell by the shaker decal...6.6 Litre was the Olds, T/A 6.6 was the 400 (that's the one you wanted :rolling: ).

The '80 turbo was just as fast as any other car when you really put the boost to it. We made some wastegate adjustments and got that turbo glowing red in no time with a few 1/4 mile passes in front of the shop. :burnout:

I stand corrected, it was an 80. 79 was a mustang

99GTP guy

Established Member
Oh I found the SVT site. Here is a pic of the new lightning comming out in 2005. 500 screaming ponies

PFA

Established Member
Originally posted by mike_b_svt
To tell the truth, I think they should offered it in a Blue Mystic, with wheels painted / keyed to match the body color. Interior w/ blue leather trim instead or red.

But thats just me.

M.
SVT did a little survey at the time of the Dream Cruise. They had a blue mystic Cobra and the seat inserts (center area) was a mystic color leather. They were getting opinions. It was okay, would have been cool for an anniversary model.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by PFA
SVT did a little survey at the time of the Dream Cruise. They had a blue mystic Cobra and the seat inserts (center area) was a mystic color leather. They were getting opinions. It was okay, would have been cool for an anniversary model.

I would like to have seen that! Any chance there are pictures of it floating around somewhere?

I've been thinking of doing some appearance mods when my car comes in (feb 3rd) and basically making it a Blue anniversary car. We'll see...

M.

PFA

Established Member
Pictures??? not that I'm aware of. We saw it after we took a tour of the Mustang plant. We were not allowed to take cameras with us, so I didn't get any pics.

Users who are viewing this thread