No background check?

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
I guess this would the right place to post this. I recently bought a Bushmaster M4 and they only thing I needed were two forms of ID, and to fill out and sign an ATF form. A couple years ago (about 2) my dad purchased two handguns (not at the same time), and the seller called some place I assume it was for a background check, took less than one hour. Why didn't the seller do one on me, are there different procedures for selling hand guns and rifles/shotguns? It kind of scared me.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Checks are different for handguns versus rifles as are permit requirements and waiting periods, if any

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
Gun shops, the hand guns were perchased at one store, the M4 at a different one. But buying from different stores should not mean anything, right?

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
BACKGROUND CHECK AT STATE LEVEL
Do state police perform a background check in addition to federal NICS check? Partial

Deleware: State law requires most gun buyers to go through a state-based criminal background check in addition to the federal NICS check. This is the best system since it includes checking both state and federal records to prevent criminals and other prohibited people from buying guns. However, the state does not require a state-based background check on shotgun buyers - only the federal NICS check is required for shotgun sales and the NICS check may may not be as up-to-date or accurate in stopping prohibited buyers.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=de#bgnd

I guess there should have been some kind of check. That really scares me.

EDIT:

Info from http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=DE

Prior to purchasing a firearm from a licensed dealer, a criminal history record check is required. Purchases of shotguns and antique firearms (or replicas of antiques) are exempted from the background check requirement, as are purchases by law enforcement personnel and holders of valid concealed carry permits.

Last edited:

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
If you want to help out the community call the Police and report this.

It is not your fault they did not do their job, and you need to let the police know this is happening. This is a serious offense for them. This is how people (Criminals) get guns. Guns that I have to pick up out of a crime scene that still come back registered to a gun shop.....

Please Please Please..... Report it!

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
The last time I purchased a handgun, which was a few years back, all that was needed was a call to the State Police and a waiting period, but I can't remember how long that period was.

oldmodman

Established Member
To buy a firearm here in California you fill out all the paperwork (DROS?) and show the salesperson you basic firearms skills permit. Then call the store up in appx fifteen days to make sure the paperwork came back marked OK. Then go and pick up your new (or used) gun.

SATX_Mystic

Established Member
CHL is concealed handgun license. If you didn't provide something similar to that which also requires a background investigation then they basically broke the law during that transaction.

Just be sure that the form you filled out wasn't called in by another employee because it literally only takes about 3 minutes to call in for the background clearance.

Might be a good idea to go talk to an LEO (In your area) or lawyer for some advice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread