No cats on a built motor?

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
Im getting my truck back soon from JDM, and I was considering removing the hi-flows. Im not worried about emissions, so is it a good idea? She is my DD. Thanx for the input guys.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
QUIK BRIK said:
Im getting my truck back soon from JDM, and I was considering removing the hi-flows. Im not worried about emissions, so is it a good idea? She is my DD. Thanx for the input guys.

It will be friggin LOUD if you have longtubes! I've been there.

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
Kooks L.T. Sweet. Will my baby run quicker in the 1/4? I know you lose tq, but open header cars are fast. I also understand weight is an issue. Thanx guys.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
QUIK BRIK said:
Kooks L.T. Sweet. Will my baby run quicker in the 1/4? I know you lose tq, but open header cars are fast. I also understand weight is an issue. Thanx guys.

It's a DD. Not a full on dragster. Run the cats.

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
One of the reasons is cause I heat them up now with 488hp. How bout 600+? I love the noise. And the backpressure cant be good at that level?

jerseybolt

JLP BUILT
Established Member
QUIK BRIK said:
One of the reasons is cause I heat them up now with 488hp. How bout 600+? I love the noise. And the backpressure cant be good at that level?

Would also like to know that..... :read:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
QUIK BRIK said:

True high flow cats pull very little HP till way on topend and help alot with torque on low and mid range.
You really have NO idea how loud it will be.
If you do it don't come in here bitching about your loud exhaust tickets.

I'm running around 600 RWHP without the juice and I run high flow cats.

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
True high flow cats pull very little HP till way on topend and help alot with torque on low and mid range.
You really have NO idea how loud it will be.
If you do it don't come in here bitching about your loud exhaust tickets.

I'm running around 600 RWHP without the juice and I run high flow cats.
I do. My bro has an 1100hp, open header, 03 gt. They are only $65. Just wana make her fast, and I know they get punchy with no cats. So faster or slower? Thanks Larry.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
QUIK BRIK said:
I do. My bro has an 1100hp, open header, 03 gt. They are only $65. Just wana make her fast, and I know they get punchy with no cats. So faster or slower? Thanks Larry.

That's not a daily driver. But :shrug:

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
True. I would never bitch. My mistake, my responsibility. That car is loud!!! So is the blower, F2M, and fuel pump, weldon. I just dont wana pop with unneeded pressure. I figured less is better. Thanx Larry. Good luck with the truck. Tom

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
QUIK BRIK said:
True. I would never bitch. My mistake, my responsibility. That car is loud!!! So is the blower, F2M, and fuel pump, weldon. I just dont wana pop with unneeded pressure. I figured less is better. Thanx Larry. Good luck with the truck. Tom

Thanks. Good Luck back at you. :thumbsup:

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Larry, which high flows are you running? I ask because my Bassani high flows have crapped out on my already and have that incessant rattle.

Stewart

boca ron

Banned
lose the cats built motor, forced induction, stalls big cams etc. make more power without,let her flow man plus you can run any gas you like on race night without worrying bout cats what does your builder have to say on this?

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Stewart_H said:
Larry, which high flows are you running? I ask because my Bassani high flows have crapped out on my already and have that incessant rattle.

Stewart

I got the midpipes and cats from LFP for their tri Y longtubes.

vwjunkie53

SVT addict
Established Member
I say dump the cats and put some good mufflers... Even a "high flow cat" still has no flow characterisics compaired to a good muffler. Your just blowing through a box with screens in it!

Jason

Cichlids

I8ASRT10
Established Member
If your running with more cats with long tubes is that going to be just as loud if you ran the same setup with cams? I don't know if cams have a direct effect with the noise like cats do. Can someone help

Users who are viewing this thread