No-judge zone: Who's personally hurting thanks to all this Covid BS?

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Thankfully nothing has changed with work for me. I'm an apartment manager and people still need places to live so I'm here. Thankfully our company really values it's employees. We even got bonuses for having to deal with this which was very nice and not necessary, but awesome none the less. Heck, the company even gave out about 10million to residents to pay their rents as long as they could show they were directly affected by COVID and not able to pay their rent.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
if you qualified for FMLA then you'd probably have a case for wrongful termination depending on circumstances of course.

My father is in the theme park industry as a 1099 and he's freaking out a bit. When his current gig is over in about 3 weeks he won't have any work to do as far as he knows. Hopefully he finds something quick, not really looking forward to having another house guest (he lived with me off and on years back, anywhere from 1-2 weeks to 2 months based on various overseas assignments).

That’s some total BS. Part of the first stimulus bill was a guaranteed two weeks pay emergency sick leave for EVERYONE specificity for COVID-19 if you get sick.

There is also 12 weeks worth of emergency FMLA paid at 2/3 of your salary to care for a child in the event that they cannot go to school or you’ve lost your daycare provider due to COVID-19.

So you had those benefits at the least.

Further, they cannot legally fire you for simply getting sick.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

eh, depends on state and circumstances. In a right to work state you don't need a reason to fire someone, so long as it wasn't termination for cause they'll get to collect unemployment. This if course assuming they don't qualify for some kind of job protection which in this case, it sounds like it did. They would have to make the argument the business couldn't operate without him to not qualify for the 2 weeks of covid leave

Depends, did he follow al precautions his workplace set in place? Or did he try to defy and fight workplace measures? If he followed without fight, yes I could see a case to be had ad he should file suit. If he fought measures or constantly let his frustrations with measures be known they could have viewed him as a risk and took the opportunity to let him go.

A lot of companies are going to be looking for excuses the longer this goes. Those vocal about their hatred of measures to mitigate risks and those willingly defiant will find themselves at the front of the guillotine line setup by HR.

I’m collecting dildos for broke ass hoes. I call it, “Toys for THOTs”

He cannot he fired for simply getting sick period.

Further, he is due the federal programs I mentioned above and if his Co failed to offer the 2 weeks emergency sick leave, said company is in violation.

If he failed to follow workplace precautions, then he was not fired for getting sick, he was fired for failing to follow company policy.

I stand by my original post.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Thanks for the input guys. I will try to answer the questions in regards to what you are all stating.

They could make the case that the shop couldn't operate without me because I know that is the only reason they hired someone else. My old boss is socially inept and hates dealing with customers and doesn't ever want to have to be out there to deal with customers face to face. When I'm not there he has his gf run the front office to deal with customers but she doesn't know the slightest thing about automotive repair and they just fight when they are both working together. He has a temper when dealing with her so I imagine things were pretty bad in there when I was gone. The techs kept texting me telling me I needed to come back and take over because it was getting bad, but it wasn't even an option for me to go back since I still often do come in contact with other people and customers, including elderly. Too much of a risk.

The other part about me following the shops standards would not be an issue because my boss, the techs, and I all developed the standards by which we would operate during Covid together. There was only 4 of us so we basically just blocked off the shop from all customers entering and would conduct business through a window and the customers had their own machine in order to make payments. Staying isolated was never perfect but we didn't design it to be perfect, we just wanted to try and minimize exposure as much as we realistically could without wasting a bunch of time or money.

I am in Washington so it is not a right to work state. I'm sure I have a pretty solid case but I don't hate my old boss enough to want to financially ruin him by taking it to court, but I do want my unemployment for right now. I'll be pissed if he challenges it and I lose.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Business is up.

Stress/depression is real. Struggling with the home life right now.

I tested positive for COVID just over two weeks ago, back to work today. I had a stuffy nose for less than 24 hours, a minor cough for the same duration and a very low grade fever for less than 6 hours. Other than that, I felt fine.

You got lucky. Mine was fairly quick in that my fever and the bulk of the sickness lasted for 2 days. My girlfriend had it at the same time and her symptoms were almost identical to mine except I was throwing up periodically and she was getting more severe migraines daily. After 2 days it all settled down but there is still the loss of taste and smell, headaches and major cloudiness of the head. It's been 24 days now since my fever started and I'm still feeling nauseous almost all the time which caused me to throw up a few times on Christmas, and I get exhausted after just seconds of moving. I helped my dad unlock a truck at his work with the keys locked in it and I got it open with a coat hangar, but I was breathing heavy and felt winded from that point on and until we were nearly home 30min later.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the input guys. I will try to answer the questions in regards to what you are all stating.

They could make the case that the shop couldn't operate without me because I know that is the only reason they hired someone else. My old boss is socially inept and hates dealing with customers and doesn't ever want to have to be out there to deal with customers face to face. When I'm not there he has his gf run the front office to deal with customers but she doesn't know the slightest thing about automotive repair and they just fight when they are both working together. He has a temper when dealing with her so I imagine things were pretty bad in there when I was gone. The techs kept texting me telling me I needed to come back and take over because it was getting bad, but it wasn't even an option for me to go back since I still often do come in contact with other people and customers, including elderly. Too much of a risk.

The other part about me following the shops standards would not be an issue because my boss, the techs, and I all developed the standards by which we would operate during Covid together. There was only 4 of us so we basically just blocked off the shop from all customers entering and would conduct business through a window and the customers had their own machine in order to make payments. Staying isolated was never perfect but we didn't design it to be perfect, we just wanted to try and minimize exposure as much as we realistically could without wasting a bunch of time or money.

I am in Washington so it is not a right to work state. I'm sure I have a pretty solid case but I don't hate my old boss enough to want to financially ruin him by taking it to court, but I do want my unemployment for right now. I'll be pissed if he challenges it and I lose.

Even in FL which is a right to work state it’s pretty difficult to keep people from collecting. I can’t imagine Washington being more in favor of the employer. Unless there’s some kind of paper trail of issues and ultimate cause for termination you should be fine

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Even in FL which is a right to work state it’s pretty difficult to keep people from collecting. I can’t imagine Washington being more in favor of the employer. Unless there’s some kind of paper trail of issues and ultimate cause for termination you should be fine

I got burned in the past once and had to pay back $3500 so that is why I'm wary of it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You got lucky. Mine was fairly quick in that my fever and the bulk of the sickness lasted for 2 days. My girlfriend had it at the same time and her symptoms were almost identical to mine except I was throwing up periodically and she was getting more severe migraines daily. After 2 days it all settled down but there is still the loss of taste and smell, headaches and major cloudiness of the head. It's been 24 days now since my fever started and I'm still feeling nauseous almost all the time which caused me to throw up a few times on Christmas, and I get exhausted after just seconds of moving. I helped my dad unlock a truck at his work with the keys locked in it and I got it open with a coat hangar, but I was breathing heavy and felt winded from that point on and until we were nearly home 30min later.
That's insane.

After I had my stuffy nose, which I didn't think was anything at the time...we hiked around at 10,000 feet for a weekend.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
That's insane.

After I had my stuffy nose, which I didn't think was anything at the time...we hiked around at 10,000 feet for a weekend.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Lol, yeah no way I could do that right now. I never had a runny nose and only had a cough periodically so very different symptoms which you got the better of! I could definitely feel it in my lungs but I have never felt like I was in any danger; it just felt like a very severe flu.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Now that I have been back to work full time for about 5 months now, it's not really affected me much besides the stupid mask wearing.
Work seems to be steady, but not super busy like previous the Chinese virus. Oh,...the uncertainty sucks real bad though.

I wonder if I had a small bout of the Chinese virus last month. I lost my appetite and when working out, felt pretty weak and tired.
Just within the last 2 weeks, I started feeling great. Good appetite again and strong when working out.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
This whole fiasco actually opened up an avenue for me to procure a second job.

I am very fortunate, and i tell my wife this all the time. My heart goes out to those that are negatively affected by all of this bullshit. Never in my life did i think I’d see the day where people are actually being arrested/fined for trying to work, while the government’s solution is to put us all on the dole.

nxhappy

Established Member
I moved out of Hell (Kali) in march. Covid hit. Started 2 businesses and so far so good. Luckily real estate and stocks have been a blessing. I know covid has closed down many businesses and many hard working employees. Hang in there peeps ....in the end life goes on. If we can overcome WW1/WW2 we can overcome this bullshit.

hoamskilet

Established Member
Can all change in a heartbeat, but I've had the best year I've ever had at work. Fortunately I work in an essential industry, so there's not much worry about not working.

I'm just worried about when the bill comes due from the multiple trillions of dollars of these bailouts....its gonna hurt everybody regardless of your career. There will be no escaping it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread