No lights on sheriff in ohio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fake

Established Member
LOL at this thread and the way some people think we as police should "play by rules" so they don't get caught.

When I was in patrol, I would turn my lights off all the time and sit on the side of the road out of the way. Get over it.....

fake

Established Member
Like i asked before, should we also post schedules of patrol times for neighborhoods to be fair? The difference is we are operating in an official capacity. When a regular joe does it, it appears suspicious since its not a typical sight. Should we also not be able to run emergency traffic to certain calls? Just because you dont like police doesnt mean we shouldnt be able to do what were supposed to do. Maybe we should only run radar while moving because u turns are safer than sitting off the side of the road?

^^^^
This X 10000000

bakerjd

Established Member
This thread reminds me of the movie "Due Date" when they arrive at the dealer's house and she says, "Are you a cop?...you just look really official. And you know if I ask you if you're a cop, and you are cop, you have to say yes." lol

Last edited:

tnuce10

Established Member
Me: Mind settling a debate for me? Do OSHP have to have lights on at night when clocking speed? And if you do not have your hat on can a ticket be thrown out?

OSHP: We always have our headlights on at night to be visible bc we're supposed to be available to assist. And we're required to be in our uniform as the Ohio revised code describes it. Never personally see a case get dismissed but every prosecutor asks me if i was in uniform as prescribed by orc

Me: Right on. Is it illegal to be parked at night without lights on?

OSHP: Other police and sheriff offices don't have to. Depends on their own policy

Hope that clarifies....

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Me: Mind settling a debate for me? Do OSHP have to have lights on at night when clocking speed? And if you do not have your hat on can a ticket be thrown out?

OSHP: We always have our headlights on at night to be visible bc we're supposed to be available to assist. And we're required to be in our uniform as the Ohio revised code describes it. Never personally see a case get dismissed but every prosecutor asks me if i was in uniform as prescribed by orc

Me: Right on. Is it illegal to be parked at night without lights on?

OSHP: Other police and sheriff offices don't have to. Depends on their own policy

Hope that clarifies....

Sounds good man thanks

Not an iPhone.....

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
This is yet another perfect example of an officer who feels he is above others. I do not dislike police, I dislike many of the lazy, arrogant, lying ones that I have had to deal with in my area. I by no means am bashing any law enforcement officer, I am simply trying to state I think it's a bit obsurd that in this situation they feel it is ok to sit in the median with no lights on but an "average joe" cannot. The last time I checked, we all drive on the same roads, we all have the same rights on these roads, just because you are in a police vehicle doesn't give you anymore rights on that road than I have. Unless of course your lights have been turned on, then I shall graciously pull over and let you pass. If I want to sit in a median and drink a cup of coffee and eat a krispy kreme while jamming out to my favorite radio station I have just as much right to be there as you do, with my lights off of course, don't want to spoil the moment.

Seeing as how median cross-overs are posted for authorized vehicles only, if a member of the traveling public parks in one they would be disobeying a posted sign and could be given a ticket just for that. So no you don't have just as much right to be there.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
This is yet another perfect example of an officer who feels he is above others. I do not dislike police, I dislike many of the lazy, arrogant, lying ones that I have had to deal with in my area. I by no means am bashing any law enforcement officer, I am simply trying to state I think it's a bit obsurd that in this situation they feel it is ok to sit in the median with no lights on but an "average joe" cannot. The last time I checked, we all drive on the same roads, we all have the same rights on these roads, just because you are in a police vehicle doesn't give you anymore rights on that road than I have. Unless of course your lights have been turned on, then I shall graciously pull over and let you pass. If I want to sit in a median and drink a cup of coffee and eat a krispy kreme while jamming out to my favorite radio station I have just as much right to be there as you do, with my lights off of course, don't want to spoil the moment.

WTF? Are you serious? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

An officer certainly has more things he can do on the road than you because it's part of his job. You have no business sitting in the median just because you can. He does because it's part of his job. When your job as a motorist becomes traffic enforcement, then you'll have a point. But that won't ever happen because you're not an LEO.

We all own government buildings because we help pay for them. Does that give you a right to move in and out of every room of them as you please? NO!

My god the logic behind your post is so amazingly ridiculous.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I dont know dude how many cops do you see that speed excessively with no lights on? i see them on 75 all the time doing a good 75-80 mph no lights on just cruising. that aint right even for a cop. So he has a point. if he doesnt have his lights on he is just another car on the road!

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I dont know dude how many cops do you see that speed excessively with no lights on? i see them on 75 all the time doing a good 75-80 mph no lights on just cruising. that aint right even for a cop. So he has a point. if he doesnt have his lights on he is just another car on the road!

I don't know what "75" is, so I don't know how over the speed limit that is.

That said, I do over the limit and if it's reasonable, I don't get pulled over for it.

Also, cops area allowed to drive over the speed limit to calls that may require it. It is not always required of an officer to turn on the berries and cherries when headed to a call.

Case in point. I had called the police on a person breaking into my neighbors' cars. It took about 5 minutes from when I called and officers from 3 separate cars swarmed the guy, chasing him down and tazering. Had they approached the scene with lights on and sirens blazing (or just lights on) the perp could have had a leg up on where they were and where they were coming from and slipped away.

Saying that, not all cops do as they should, but that's human nature and cops are still prone to screwing up like everyone else. You cannot say it's unfair for all cops to sit in the median or speed in traffic with lights off because you saw one or a few doing it. That's the same logic as taking away guns from the public because a few assholes couldn't handle the responsibility.

Don't punish the majority because of the minority.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I don't know what "75" is, so I don't know how over the speed limit that is.

That said, I do over the limit and if it's reasonable, I don't get pulled over for it.

Also, cops area allowed to drive over the speed limit to calls that may require it. It is not always required of an officer to turn on the berries and cherries when headed to a call.

Case in point. I had called the police on a person breaking into my neighbors' cars. It took about 5 minutes from when I called and officers from 3 separate cars swarmed the guy, chasing him down and tazering. Had they approached the scene with lights on and sirens blazing (or just lights on) the perp could have had a leg up on where they were and where they were coming from and slipped away.

Saying that, not all cops do as they should, but that's human nature and cops are still prone to screwing up like everyone else. You cannot say it's unfair for all cops to sit in the median or speed in traffic with lights off because you saw one or a few doing it. That's the same logic as taking away guns from the public because a few assholes couldn't handle the responsibility.

Don't punish the majority because of the minority.
interstate 75 from michigan to florida. speed limit is 65 mph in ohio and they do at least 75+ mph.

Also its the majority not the minority. i see them all the time doing it and they arent on a call cause they pull off and start clocking then.

fake

Established Member
With my department, there were orders from the chief stating if officers were traveling on the interstate; to not travel the speed limit. There were actual idiots calling in and complaining about backed up traffic because everybody was scared to pass the cop going the speed limit. They were told to travel 10 over and in some cases a little faster if the traffic was heavy so there would not be any back ups. Might be the same case in Ohio.... So basically you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. There's always going to be idiots complaining and crying because of what an LEO does....

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
interstate 75 from michigan to florida. speed limit is 65 mph in ohio and they do at least 75+ mph.

Also its the majority not the minority. i see them all the time doing it and they arent on a call cause they pull off and start clocking then.

If you think the majority of officers do that then you are delusional. I highly doubt you've done any stat finding to support you're claim and are making general statements with no backing.

Chersch74

4V FTW
Established Member
I know that in Toledo/Lucas county they are suppose to have them one I THINK,every time I see one,they have em one,all the state boy/girls I see on the side of 75 have them on.

Seeing as your basically around the corner from me....those Oregon cops blow :beer:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member

It's pointless to argue it, anything you say they'll have some super special scratch your head and wonder wtf scenario that enables them to do whatever they're doing.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
No, Ohio has no law stating a Police Officer in a marked cruiser must have his lights on when running traffic enforcement.

Some departments like OSP have department policies that state they have to leave their lights on though.

The only law for running traffic in Ohio is it must be a marked cruiser with at least one 360 degree light...no slick tops like in Florida and other states. Now you can still be pulled over by a slick top as long as its primary purpose is not traffic enforcement.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

...and hasn't this been discussed about a bazillion times on here?? :??:

Sorry for posting so late, I was running radar with my lights off.

And lol at the Hat comments...I know quite a few Troopers here in Ohio...I didn't think those things came off! Surgically mounted I think. :rolling:

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member

I didn't get any further in the thread. This did it for me. I suppose those nice little signs in the median that say "reserved for authorized vehicles only" are just merely suggestions. If you could possibly pull your head out of your ass for just a moment, and think logically you may be able to comprehend this. I don't expect this to be the case however, since you apparently don't realize the previous officers example of having to announce to burglars that we're in the neighborhood is a perfect example of the idiocy that is to say a police officer shouldn't run radar with his lights off. Maybe we should post signs that say "POLICE SHOOTING RADAR AHEAD" in blinking lights so people know when to slow down.

Go spout nonsense elsewhere.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I'm assuming in California, that the State Patrol doesn't need any lights on when running radar, and parked along side the road. The reason why I say that, last night heading home about 7 pm (well after dark) my radar detector went off on KA band. As I drove up the road, it got stronger and stronger during the time he was using it, (the LEO was using instant on) When I finally got up to where he was, he was barely clear of the white fog line (6 to 8 inches clear of it) , parked on the side of the road, no lights on his patrol car (internal or external). All in all, a very stupid place to park and run radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread