noisey procharger, need input

svtlightning95

Established Member
i recently had a local speed-shop put all new bearings in my p1sc(bearings supplied from supercharger-rebuilds) because at an idol it made the infamous "grinding rocks" noise, turned out it had two bad bearings. i saw the bearings they were confirmed dead. after putting it back on the car it was still making the same exact noise however anything above an idol the noise goes away. so i made the shop take it back apart and they swear there is nothing wrong with it, their saying that some pro-chargers are just noisy. is there anyone out there smarter than me that can shed some light here?:shrug:

19935.slow

Established Member
Never owned a procharger, but any vortechs I purchased did the grinding rocks noise and they get down just fine.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I miss my noise. I used to tell people as long as they could hear the blower they were safe.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Prochargers should make a clean metallic noise caused by the resonance of the gears. It goes away as the rpm's increase.

Vortechs and Paxton's have a metallic growling noise sometimes.

If it sounds like its gonna blow, it's gonna blow. About 11 years ago, a shop my friend owns fitted a prototype Paxton Novi 3000 on a 5.0 motor. Brand new blower and it sounded like a dryer full of gravel. Sure enough, after a half hour, the thing got so hot and screwed up, the case just split open and it spilled its guts.

If you are really worried about it, just pull the blower off and try to spin it by hand. It should spin very easily, but it will have a lot of inertia because of the gearing. Once it's spinning, its gonna want to keep spinning until it winds down slowly on its own. It shouldnt stop spinning as soon as you stop turning the pulley.

If it stops spinning as soon as you let go, if it feels gritty or difficult, that's another story.

Users who are viewing this thread