Normal amount of time a body shop takes?

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
Just wondering what everybody elses experiences with body shops are. I stopped by today, they've had the car for 3 weeks, said they "just now" found the wheels that match mine... Walked in to look at the car and it was sitting in a corner with two inches of dust on it :fm:

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
mine took a week and a half to procure new fenders, hood and bumper, header panel and headlights, have it painted and color matched, and back together.

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
mine took a week and a half to procure new fenders, hood and bumper, header panel and headlights, have it painted and color matched, and back together.

Damn, maybe I should drop by again next week. Did you visit them often while they had the car, know somebody there, ect.?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Once I took the car in, it took about 3 weeks to do the front bumper, door, hood, and blend everything. Then another week to repaint the hood because they screwed up the stripe I asked for. This was at a dealership btw, and all the "hard to find" parts I brought myself.

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
totally depends on the shop. The shop I work at right now, has a backlog of about a year for at least 4 different customer cars: 3 ground up, total resto-mods, along with a slew of various Shop Project Cars.. but there is only 3 employees as well. Counting the Shop manager and owner, a collison repair scuff and shoot, depending the workload might be a few days-week 1/2 if you don't have get into any probs with insurance companies, or unforseen major repair work.

minor collision work is pretty easy to turn over quickly and defintly takes precedant over longer, more involved projects like a ground up resto..along with o/c's tune-ups, minor repairs etc.. but again, it's toally subjective based on how good the work/reputation a place is known for.

it's defintley an art and aquired skill and it's very preciscion to get it right.

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
This was three bent wheels, front bumper, and one fender. I figured they would at least do the body work while searching for the wheels...

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
One to two months is about normal around here. Just depends on the shop and how much pressure you put on them. I'd be there at least every three days checking on progress.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
It's called body work and not body fun for a reason. That is honestly the one aspect of repair I wouldnt hurry. I would want everything to match and line up properly. Dont rush the man, it will pay off in the end.

3-4 weeks seems fair. Insurance companys dont require new OEM parts be used on cars that are more than 2-3 years old. He might be searching the country for the parts he needs to fix your car.

Users who are viewing this thread