North Carolina Inspection Requirements...CRAP!

Swervedriver

Established Member
As far as emissions goes, as long as your car isnt throwing any codes you will pass here. They do not look under the car but if you have no cats and your cel is on they will not pass you.

Depending on the year of the vehicle, this may not be true. The inspection stations computers are linked to the states database. They plug it into the OBD2 port and verify that the emissions monitors are set to "ready", and that there are no DTCs present.
The monitors I remember off the top of my head are:
O2 sensor
Rear O2 sensor
Evap
Catalyst
EGR

If more than 1 (depending on the year of the car) monitor is not ready, they'll tell you to drive the car more to get them to set. I believe some tunes will prevent EGR & catalyst from ever setting to ready.

The Catalyst monitor requires EGR flow and all functioning O2 sensors.

Last edited:

slow06

Established Member
Is the car throwing a CEL? I had Dan turn my codes off and got my 03 inspected with no problem. As long as the codes are not being thrown, you should be fine.

the maestro

Established Member
Is the car throwing a CEL? I had Dan turn my codes off and got my 03 inspected with no problem. As long as the codes are not being thrown, you should be fine.

NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AT ALL. That's what the MIL eliminators are for. Just NO CATS. If they look underneath, i'll fail.

Swervedriver

Established Member
That's not always true either. There are states that you can set to "turn off" monitors that make them simply always report "not ready".

More than one "not ready" (depending on year of the car) and you will not be passed.

Swervedriver

Established Member
NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AT ALL. That's what the MIL eliminators are for. Just NO CATS. If they look underneath, i'll fail.

That's a coin toss. Some inspectors will look, others will just plug in the obd2 port.

I just put cats on a '96 (not obd2) last month that failed for "no cats". He took it to a different station (with the cats I installed) and they didn't even put it on the rack. Just looked at the CEL & signed it off.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Depending on the year of the vehicle, this may not be true. The inspection stations computers are linked to the states database. They plug it into the OBD2 port and verify that the emissions monitors are set to "ready", and that there are no DTCs present.
The monitors I remember off the top of my head are:
O2 sensor
Rear O2 sensor
Evap
Catalyst
EGR

If more than 1 (depending on the year of the car) monitor is not ready, they'll tell you to drive the car more to get them to set. I believe some tunes will prevent EGR & catalyst from ever setting to ready.

The Catalyst monitor requires EGR flow and all functioning O2 sensors.

Acutally you are absolutely correct. I had that problem when I got my car back from the new engine. It kept throwing two codes, one was egr and one wast catalyst system. I ended up having to get my tuner to put a tune that shut everything off. I remember doing multiple drive cycles to try and get them turned off but it never worked.

Last edited:

the maestro

Established Member
Acutally you are absolutely correct. I had that problem when I got my car back from the new engine. It kept throwing two codes, one was egr and one wast catalyst system. I ended up having to get my tuner to put a tune that shut everything off. I remember doing multiple drive cycles to try and get them turned off but it never worked.

>>>SLAP! Just took it to Buck's and they wouldn't even start the inspection. Took one look underneath and said "no way." Guess I should be happy that I didn't pay first, but still SOL.

candy3369

Established Member
Good luck-I just had mine failed. Shop lifted it, marked it under the "tampered with" section as no cats, and sent it through the computer. Checked around and was told there is a good chance the state will show up at your house for an inspection after you fail it on emissions.

SLPCobra

Established Member
>>>SLAP! Just took it to Buck's and they wouldn't even start the inspection. Took one look underneath and said "no way." Guess I should be happy that I didn't pay first, but still SOL.

There is a place on Ramsey street that will pass you I'll pm you the details but if you can't fit up there ramps from being to low Ik another place on 301 that will do it.

Users who are viewing this thread