North Carolina Inspection Requirements...CRAP!

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I moved to North Carolina from Georgia a few months ago and I've been fighting with the Georgia DMV for a couple weeks now about keeping my vehicles registered in that state because I still own property there...it looks like I have lost. I'm looking for either an inspection place that will pass me (somewhere near Fayetteville) or a stock h-pipe for an '03 Cobra/catted aftermarket X-Pipe and a catted H or X-Pipe that will work on a '98 GT with longtube headers. Anybody have any advice or parts?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have a place near Raleigh but thats fairly far away. If your cel is off and they dont look under the car you should be fine. My rear 02 sensors were turned off and I passed with and o/r pipe.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I have a place near Raleigh but thats fairly far away. If your cel is off and they dont look under the car you should be fine. My rear 02 sensors were turned off and I passed with and o/r pipe.

They don't do an actual analysis of the exhaust gases coming out of your tailpipes like they do in CA, WA, and some of the other tree-hugging states?

SvTDsG

Unported!
Established Member
No I'm a mechanic and I do state inspections. All we do is a visual check to see if all the emissions equipment that was installed from the factory is in place, then check over the car for safety issues, then plug the inspection machine to the car's (dlc). Like TBCobra said as long as you cel light works properly and is not on with the car running, and they don't look under your car and test pipes you should be ok. We do test window tint here also has to be 35% +/- 3%. Hopes this helps, if you lived closer I would do it no problem.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
don't you have to get inspected in the county you are registered in?

I would suggest trying to meet up with some car guys in your area, and you might be able to get a lead on someone that does inspections.

SvTDsG

Unported!
Established Member
^^^ You don't have to no. I do a lot of out of state inspections. You can registered in any county as long as they do the correct inspection (safety or emissions) inspection. It doesn't matter.

the maestro

Established Member
NC Emissions Raleigh/Triangle

I'm in Fayetteville and I can hook you up, pm me for info.
I have a 98 GT with long tubes, MIL eliminators, and need an inspection. Trying to avoid spending $350 for a catted pipe. Can someone out there please help!

markw351

Established Member
I see you have got some PMs, so i'm sure someone hooked you up. When I was stationed at Pope AFB i got my car inspected locally right there in Spring Lake. I never had cats. It did however cost me a few extra bucks under the table for the trouble.

the maestro

Established Member
I'm in Fayetteville and I can hook you up, pm me for info.
Ok, take that back. Looks like I emailed you Evil 03. Wouldn't let me PM. (I guess, I'm such a rookie) Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to try and resolve this tomorrow, it's my only day off for quite a while. THANKS!

Dasaliac03

TWINscrewed
Established Member
spend anytime near the gastonia area ive got a place that will do it..........no questions asked..........the guy actually runs a flower and pottery shop out of the front. Dont ask how i know!

the maestro

Established Member
spend anytime near the gastonia area ive got a place that will do it..........no questions asked..........the guy actually runs a flower and pottery shop out of the front. Dont ask how i know!
I truly appreciate your quick response--I'm about 4 hours+ from there now. Kinda hoping for someplace closer....many thanks!

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
Mine is still registered in Alabama. :) So I don't worry about inspections. But like they said, as long as its not throwing a code and they aren't an in depth inspector you should be fine no prob. Good luck.

the maestro

Established Member
Mine is still registered in Alabama. :) So I don't worry about inspections. But like they said, as long as its not throwing a code and they aren't an in depth inspector you should be fine no prob. Good luck.
Very nice Cobra. I just need a shop where they don't look underneath
or someone who would do it for a "tip." When I took the wifes SVT Contour for inspection locally, (Garner) they wouldn't pass it because one of the cats had been deleted back in Florida. There are a TON of inspection stations, but I don't know who is thorough and who isn't.

the maestro

Established Member
I have a 98 GT with long tubes, MIL eliminators, and need an inspection. Trying to avoid spending $350 for a catted pipe. Can someone out there please help!
Still hanging out here guys...haven't heard back from anyone yet. Yes, I'm impatient...silly ADD...Anyone? Help? :shrug:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The shop near me only helps me out with my window tint. They just put N/A. As far as emissions goes, as long as your car isnt throwing any codes you will pass here. They do not look under the car but if you have no cats and your cel is on they will not pass you.

the maestro

Established Member
The shop near me only helps me out with my window tint. They just put N/A. As far as emissions goes, as long as your car isnt throwing any codes you will pass here. They do not look under the car but if you have no cats and your cel is on they will not pass you.
Can you PM me on where you go? I don't have a check engine light with the MIL eliminators in place. Should be no issue unless they look underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread