Northwood's Time: Who's In???

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Now that the NASA RA event is gone, time to look ahead for "the one that got me hooked".... Shelby Northwoods at Road America August 17-19. Who's going, dinner plans, etc. Let the talk begin!
:beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well Freddy:

You may be surprised to know that I'm actually going back to the track after last weekend's NASA event!?!? :kaboom: :bash: :burn: :( :cryying:

After the first session on Saturday, you would not have called me "Mr. Happy". Unfortunately from there, it went downhill. :cuss: :rollseyes

My plans are to arrive Thursday night and hopefully after getting our cars tech'd, we can get a "band of brothers and sisters" together to maybe go to Bruce's for dinner! :pepper: Then I'm thinking Friday night we HAVE to hit Lakestreet for some Tenderloin Shiraz along with some of that ridiculously outstanding Cab Sav we had last time we were there. I'd quit drinking beer if I had a sufficient supply of that stuff!!! :rockon: :bowdown:

With the new asphalt laid down at Road America, everyone's times should be improved by at least a second or two over last year. The track is just stupid fast now. :-D Now we've got all sorts of areas to "cheat" on the turns. Plus you have turn 13 which I have dubbed "No Fear" since the removal of the bridge abutments. Since the removal of the bridge, my old camera could not even shoot steady footage going through there. Fortunately, my new camera seems to be a bit better on the violent turns.

I'm not going to make any predictions on lap times this year because I don't want to disappoint myself. But I can tell you one thing, I'm going to spank last year's lap times like a redheaded stepchild!!! :pepper:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Stanger58

Established Member
Hey Flyin' Fred,

I'll be there...along with a small but mangey group of Track Dawgs. It'll be great seein' you pal (as well as all the other go-fast RA track fiends!). Can you believe it's been all those years since we spent that weekend "getting you hooked"? Man, time flies when you're havin' fun!

Unfortunately, out Track Dawgs III tour only has us at RA on Friday, but we WILL be there!

See ya at the driver's meetin'! :rockon:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Stanger58 said:
Hey Flyin' Fred,

I'll be there...along with a small but mangey group of Track Dawgs. It'll be great seein' you pal (as well as all the other go-fast RA track fiends!). Can you believe it's been all those years since we spent that weekend "getting you hooked"? Man, time flies when you're havin' fun!

Unfortunately, out Track Dawgs III tour only has us at RA on Friday, but we WILL be there!

See ya at the driver's meetin'! :rockon:
Slow Ol' Farmer Dude..... you're REALLY coming??? Fantastic!!! Seems like eons since we did Bondurant together buddy! It will be super seeing you again. Too bad there isn't a Hooters nearby - or Ryan "The Animal" Hampton for entertainment.

Yellow Iron

One of the Fab Five Fords
Established Member
I'll be there wrestling my overheating hippopotamus all three days (I'm a glutton for punishment!!!). It has to be better than that f**ked up NASA event. There's nothing like catching a Miata that's 50 mph slower than you are going into turn 5. Adds to the pucker factor. Than you get to listen to them complain about it!!!!

Marv Z

Pur Juic

track ho
Established Member
It has to be better than that f**ked up NASA event. There's nothing like catching a Miata that's 50 mph slower than you are going into turn 5. Adds to the pucker factor. Than you get to listen to them complain about it!!!!

I'll second that statement!!!:bash: :fm:

I'll be there all three days with the LX and my wife will there too with the Cobra..........always a good time with lots of open track.:rockon: :banana: :thumbsup:

I always make to Siebkens every night there.:beer:

Dar

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Pur Juic said:
I'll be there all three days with the LX and my wife will there too with the Cobra..........always a good time with lots of open track.:rockon: :banana: :thumbsup:
Dar

DAR! Welcome to the Forum. Did Bruce finally twist your arm to join in? Look forward to seeing you at the event.

Marv.... the good news is that there are several hippos at the NW event. For once I may be a relative "lightweight"? Carwise, that is.... not drinking!

Bruce.... Thursday evening sounds good. I MIGHT have to do Lake Street twice - Friday with you guys and Saturday because Matt will be coming down. Oh well, makes up for missing it last weekend!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Flying Fred said:
Bruce.... Thursday evening sounds good. I MIGHT have to do Lake Street twice - Friday with you guys and Saturday because Matt will be coming down. Oh well, makes up for missing it last weekend!

What?!?!? And miss the banquet?!?!?! :(

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
I'm in for the 3 days and looking forward to seeing my track buds :beer:

Just reviewed my nasa videos and I counted one, and only one clean lap without traffic last weekend :(

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
What?!?!? And miss the banquet?!?!?! :(
I'm hoping to return in time to see you get your trophy Bruce!:bowdown:
Matt hasn't been to Lake Street since 2005, so there is no way I could talk him into coming to RA without taking him there!:D
By the way, I heard several guys complaining about the NASA TT/Group 4 (also read your Email Bruce). Out of curiousity, why didn't they permit open passing as usual for that group? Someone NASA official (Bill M?) must have been asked and/or explained that.:shrug:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
VENM said:
Just reviewed my nasa videos and I counted one, and only one clean lap without traffic last weekend :(

The only clean lap I got was in the rain when only about 15 of the 57 total cars in the group had the Nads to go out on the track. I turned a blistering 3:38 on smooth NT-01's in the rain. Otherwise, no clean laps. :(

Flying Fred said:
I'm hoping to return in time to see you get your trophy Bruce!:bowdown:

Fred, I know you're not going to be laying down on this. It will be a close tight battle just like it always is! :beer:

Flying Fred said:
Matt hasn't been to Lake Street since 2005, so there is no way I could talk him into coming to RA without taking him there!:D

Take him there on Sunday?!?!! :poke:

Flying Fred said:
By the way, I heard several guys complaining about the NASA TT/Group 4 (also read your Email Bruce). Out of curiousity, why didn't they permit open passing as usual for that group? Someone NASA official (Bill M?) must have been asked and/or explained that.:shrug:

Well, I talked to Bill and the "no passing" in the turns was a surprise to him when he read it on the NASA web site on Wednesday of last week. Dave said he had planned on possibly opening up the passing to turns as well just like all other NASA events have run for HPDE4 in the past. But as a conservative move they started out no passing in the turns and it just never got opened up! Who dropped the ball? It's anybody's guess.

The worst part was there were three cars (two of them Z06's) :rollseyes running laps of maybe 2:38 - 2:42 but they had more power than me and I could not pass them in the straights. They didn't want us passing in the braking zones either! :fart: None of these assclowns would ever lift so you're stuck riding their ass (at 12" to 18" in some places) lap after lap. :bash: Blue Flag?!?! What's that!?!? Never saw them!?!? :kaboom: One time I was able to snooker the one Z06 behind the '68 Shelby on the front straight and after I passed him I could not see him in my rearview mirror by the time I got to turn 6. :p

Tom (Black Death) and I both talked to the one guy in the Caddy CTSV and he said right to our faces "If you can't pass me, tough shit! I aint lifting for anybody" :cuss: So you had to ride his ass at an unsafe distance, wait for him to drive off track and then pass his sorry ass! :lol:

All TT cars go into HPDE4 no matter how slow. VW Bugs, Toyota Prius, you name it! These guys are the furthest thing from a "racer" you will ever see!

It's really too bad because other than my "on track" experiences, everything was great. Maybe more like fantastic! Seeing old friends, the Mad Brew, the parties, the camaraderie, the food, meeting new friends, Eric's Miata race video, heck, just seeing Eric is a show in itself, ;-) (did I mention the Mad Brew!?!?) It all was outstanding. And the camping! That was one of the best parts! Can you believe it!? First time camping at Road America in five years!! Woo hoo! :pepper: That was a real treat! :bowdown: Oh, and the videos are going to be pretty good. The guy over driving the white Z06 in order to prevent a Mustang from passing him, got the video of him crashing in 6. I got video of the Caddy driving off track so we could pass his sorry ass. Maybe I'll get in a little better mood once I have all of those videos posted? :coolman:

There is still a real sour taste in my mouth and I'm not sure if it's ever going to go away. Not sure at this point if I even want to go through the NASA Comp School at Gingerman in September! I told Dave to put me on hold for it. :(

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Elmo's Mine

Established Member
We're in!

Mike and I will be there, too. Looks like a big crowd - lots of fun! The soup kitchen will be serving taco salad on Friday - I need a head count, guys! Of course, there will be cookies and brownies all three days for whoever stops by.

You are hearing from me, 'cause Mike has been trying to get my new midpipe on Elmo... but the guy welded it wrong so it doesn't fit, and it has to go back, darn it. :( He is not happy - it's about 3 million degrees outside. I'm not happy - I wanted those extra 3hp! (I can hear the laughter, you know.)

Bruce - cross your fingers and toes: I'm going after the supercharged Viper again this Sunday!

Cindyann

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Elmo's Mine said:
Bruce - cross your fingers and toes: I'm going after the supercharged Viper again this Sunday!

Cindyann

Cindyann:

You're my hero! :bowdown:

Yes, if you're cooking, I'm in! :rockon: :pepper:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Well unfortunately it looks like I'm out. I took the car to a PCA event on Sunday and my oil pressure slowly dropped over the first two sessions. Drained the oil last night and it's not looking to good and I'm not going to have the time to fix it between now and then.

Only good thing is I didn't have to drive out to RA to experience this.

I'm bummed to say the least......

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
RA road america and RA road atlanta...that can cause confusion. I am packing to leave for Road Atlanta for the NASA race THIS weekend. Reading that it RA NASA weekend was LAST weekend was chilling....for a second.

Cobra-R

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
With the new asphalt laid down at Road America, everyone's times should be improved by at least a second or two over last year. The track is just stupid fast now. :-D Now we've got all sorts of areas to "cheat" on the turns. Plus you have turn 13 which I have dubbed "No Fear" since the removal of the bridge abutments. Since the removal of the bridge, my old camera could not even shoot steady footage going through there. Fortunately, my new camera seems to be a bit better on the violent turns.

I'm not going to make any predictions on lap times this year because I don't want to disappoint myself. But I can tell you one thing, I'm going to spank last year's lap times like a redheaded stepchild!!! :pepper:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Bruce,

Not to change the subject, but what makes you think the track is so much faster now? I am not a curb jumper(to hard on the car) and fail to see where there are alot of potential gains to be made with the new pavement at trackout in turn 5 and 12.(very unimportant corners on that track anyways)
We were discussing this this weekend and never came to a conclusion. Is the pavement aging, are we better drivers, better setup cars.........??? :shrug:

Unfortunately I will not be running next weekend. I might come over and visit you since I have a tractor to deliver in that general area.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread