Not a Mustang- father son turbo car project.

Steve@Tasca

So, picked this up last year. It's a 2000 Focus with an Aerocharger Stage3 turbo kit. It was one of the first if not the first full kit made for these cars and in doing a little looking around it's very possible that this is the oldest and longest continuously boosted Focus in North America as this kit has been in the car since 2002.

Really neat car actually, full european body kit, the turbo obviously, lowered, Quaife diff, Hella HIDs and other goodies I'm sure I'm forgetting.

The Aerocharger is a small variable vane turbo, in this car at 9psi it bumps it from 130hp and 120lb.ft. at the crank to 195hp and 215lb.ft. at the wheels which isn't a lot but in this little car it's a whole lot of fun.

Here it is as we got it.
0601141848_zpsxlaqbr3u.jpg

0601141847a_zpsurn5gamm.jpg

0601141850_zpsrdqdk7cn.jpg

We've been wrenching and cleaning and tweaking since we got it, sent the hood to a friend over the winter and he worked his magic on it.
0328151545_zpsomlticz6.jpg

0328151546b_zpsmjberpsv.jpg

0328151547_zpsab02qob5.jpg

0330151840_zpsvbgfunt0.jpg

His and mine together,
0401151703_zps9kkyynxd.jpg

Car came with a spare turbo but neither one seemed to be working right so I sent one to get it rebuilt, got it back and installed it and due to a misrouted boost line it spiked to 15 psi which is absolutely above the stock engines limits, after fixing the boost line it was making the 9psi it was supposed to but the damage was done and it snapped two rods the next day.

The rebuilt turbo,
0625151034_zps7zhhvjv0.jpg

The ensuing carnage,

0702151920_zpsdskoojiv.jpg

0703151919a_zpss9rsrc19.jpg

Yanked it the blown up junk and installed a 111k mile salvage yard Zetec in the garage over the last week and just got it running on Sunday.
0702151921_zps8fkzwkel.jpg

0707151900_zps3wkjyeix.jpg

Putting the boy to work,
0711151000a_zpsdtaaclrk.jpg

0711151041_zpsldk8wabz.jpg

FB_IMG_1436653452661_zpsnowmb8ph.jpg

Workbench was a disaster when we got done,
0712151327_zpsvz6d9wrn.jpg

Anyways, the salvage yard engine fired right up and runs smooth and quiet. Turbo makes the 9psi it should so this thing should stay together for a while now. Eventually we want to get a set of forged rods and pistons so we can up the boost. The turbo is capable of 20psi so it's got a lot of room to grow.
0714151151_zpsgardeell.jpg

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Nice! Very cool project and even better to do it as a father-son project.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Very cool project I like as well it's a father so build. If you have an extra Turbo I think you said you did ever consider putting it on your Focus?

Steve@Tasca

Thanks guys and yes I have considered rebuilding the other turbo for my car but to be honest for the money it would cost for the rebuild and everything else I could get a nicer and more modern kit. We'll see.

On his car it just made sense to rebuild it since all the piping is unique to the kit and it's tuned for it, I had looked at other turbos because this thing wasn't cheap to rebuild but by the time I redid everything it would have cost as much or more due to the need to retune and buy parts and redo piping.

It is fun working on it with him, while my father and grandfather are/were both mechanically inclined no one ever really taught me anything. I had to learn on my own and make tons of mistakes along the way so I'm doing my best to try to give him a leg up and share my 30+ years of experience wrenching. The kid is a natural too, very mechanically inclined and strong. I really enjoy the fact that he doesn't act like he knows it all, he asks questions and listens to answers and actually absorbs the knowledge.

-Steve

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Having a son that's into cars and being able to work with him on cars = PRICELESS!

I'll be getting a new Focus this fall. You want my black 06 2-door hatch 5-speed with 113,xxx miles (for now) I got that 130hp up to 130mph on the highway before the limiter kicked-in, lol!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great project car, Steve, and really nice that you're doing it with your son. The time you're spending together (investing together) will never be forgotten be either of you. Enjoy your project. It's coming along nicely.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Cool focus, I had a 03 ZX3 focus for awhile in high school. It was a fun little car. And yes father son projects are great. Nice work guys.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The ZX3 Zetec Focus w/ the 5 speed was the best version of that car. I love the SVTF but the damn VCT was a nightmare and the stupid intake manifold killed it. The regular Zetec was simple, made good power and was easy to wrench on.

That thing must scoot with almost 200whp and 220wtq. Almost like an early version of the FiST.

Steve@Tasca

The ZX3 Zetec Focus w/ the 5 speed was the best version of that car. I love the SVTF but the damn VCT was a nightmare and the stupid intake manifold killed it. The regular Zetec was simple, made good power and was easy to wrench on.

That thing must scoot with almost 200whp and 220wtq. Almost like an early version of the FiST.

My SVT has been a fantastic car, it's been my daily for eleven years now and it's never failed me once. :thumbsup:

With the power my sons car makes it's basically putting out the same power as a European Mk1 Focus RS with minor mods, super fun car to drive.

-Steve

Steve@Tasca

By the way, Here's what's left of the two rods, still need to get the correct Torx sockets to pull the head so I can get the pistons out but it's not a real high priority at this point.

0720151939_zpsfojcmog3.jpg

quad

Established Member
Cool little car. And I just noticed the hood reminds me of a Terminator!

0328151546b_zpsmjberpsv.jpg

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
This is a Stage 3 kit, what was the difference from Stage 2?

The stage 2 kit was non-intercooled. Technically the stage 1 and 2 kits are exactly the same functionally and power wise. The stage 2 kit was designed to allow an easy upgrade to the intercooled stage 3 system.

I did convince Aerocharger to send me the low/high boost switch and valves since I was at altitude and could benefit from more pressure without fueling issues. So I guess it would have been a 2.5 kit???

I really enjoyed it. The variable vane turbo really helped the spool characteristics and it made a lot of torque. The Zetec is already a torquey engine (by 4 cylinder standards) so it was great around on the streets.

At Bandimere my car went a best of 15.2@89 mph going lean on the big end. Not blazing by any stretch of the imagination, but 99-04 GT's run mid 15's stock and lightly modded, so it definitely surprised a few people.

Users who are viewing this thread