Not Cobra related. 07-10 F150 5.4 related

DaveWertz

Established Member
I need some advice all. Looking around to get back into a truck. Price wise I have 20k cash so this leaves me to look in the 07-10 year range. I have lots of experience with the old 5.4 before cam phasers but zero with years I just listed. I refuse to look at 04-06 trucks just because they were a new design back then. Anyhow, how hard is it to replace these cam phasers? Is it that big of a deal when or if they go bad and is it almost certsin they fail. I see allot of these trucks with high miles so they must be pretty reliable? What other problems accure with these motors...

Sent from my LM-Q620 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Go with a 2010, 6speed auto, electric fan, E85 compatible. If you are mechanically inclined with the right tools it should be straightforward todo. Watch youtube videos they should alot how to tear it apart and put it together with the lastest ford parts. Also only use the lastest ford parts. Do not use aftermarket phasers they have been known to fail and cause more issues.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My 04 with that motor had like 140K on it when I sold it. I just changed the oil regular, and had zero issues. Now changing the plugs, that's another story.

DaveWertz

Established Member
I keep seeing that if you keep up with oil you see less issues. I also see they male a 1pc phaser that fixes the problem. Might be worth just getting the truck as long as I hear no phaser issues. Spark plugs will be changed immediately. Why on earth would ford use a 2pc plug?
My 04 with that motor had like 140K on it when I sold it. I just changed the oil regular, and had zero issues. Now changing the plugs, that's another story.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd def pick one up if you can find a nice one. For a truck motor, I like the 3V 5.4 better than a Coyote. Also, using thicker oil and tuning to raise idle RPMs to ~700 can mask a lot of phaser tick.

Go with a 2010, 6speed auto, electric fan, E85 compatible. If you are mechanically inclined with the right tools it should be straightforward todo. Watch youtube videos they should alot how to tear it apart and put it together with the lastest ford parts. Also only use the lastest ford parts. Do not use aftermarket phasers they have been known to fail and cause more issues.

2009 have the 6R80 as well.

Its either that or im looking at a 11-13 ecoboost. But I'm not sold on early 3.5s. Would like a 5.0 but I'm not touching one for 20k.

Gen 1 EB trucks have more issues than late build 5.4s.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
check out the fordtechmakuloco youtube channel. 3v f-150's are pretty much all he does

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I keep seeing that if you keep up with oil you see less issues. I also see they male a 1pc phaser that fixes the problem. Might be worth just getting the truck as long as I hear no phaser issues. Spark plugs will be changed immediately. Why on earth would ford use a 2pc plug?

All 8 broke on mine when I did them. Lots of fun.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'd def pick one up if you can find a nice one. For a truck motor, I like the 3V 5.4 better than a Coyote. Also, using thicker oil and tuning to raise idle RPMs to ~700 can mask a lot of phaser tick.

2009 have the 6R80 as well.

Gen 1 EB trucks have more issues than late build 5.4s.
I also agree that the later 5.4 was a better truck engine than the early 5.0 in 11-13. Much better low end tq.

boost88

Established Member
I paid 16k for my crew cab same 62k miles on it. That was back in 2018 too lol. 60th anniversary 08. Been a solid truck.

Fixing the cam phasers is just like timing any other mod motor. The issue is when the timing set starts breaking off and ends up in the pan.

Also if it's got the brown boots on the COP it's got updated plugs so they come out no issues. I changed my oem original plugs at 130k and didn't have an issue with a single plug.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

DaveWertz

Established Member
I'll have to look at them omce I give it a once over.
I paid 16k for my crew cab same 62k miles on it. That was back in 2018 too lol. 60th anniversary 08. Been a solid truck.

Fixing the cam phasers is just like timing any other mod motor. The issue is when the timing set starts breaking off and ends up in the pan.

Also if it's got the brown boots on the COP it's got updated plugs so they come out no issues. I changed my oem original plugs at 130k and didn't have an issue with a single plug.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I found a 62k mile crew cab lariat for 16k. 1 owner truck, truck is mint I side and out. Its a bit more than I think it should be, but then again good luck finding a good deal in this market...

If the truck is in great condition then sounds like your getting a hell of a deal. 16k doesnt buy alot these days.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Got me a rig. Its a 2010 XTR with 90k on it. Paid 16k for it and truck is mint. I literally mean there is not one once of rust on this pig. Frame, rockers cab all look better than new. Thats a hard find in PA. Maybe a bit more than I wanted to pay but I'm more than pleased.
55555.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread