Now iPhone Pics Won't "Upload" to My Windows CPU After iOS Update!

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
CPU- Windows 8.1
iPhone- 11 Pro

I have avoided the latest/greatest updates for my iPhone for almost four months and because of this my photos/pics upload to my CPU without issue.
All my file pics from my iPhone that are my CPU can be view thru Windows Photo Viewer WITHOUT issue.

Since I bought concert & baseball tickets, BOTH required me to download their "apps" to my phone so I can access their tickets.
Both say tickets no longer issued at box office anymore.

SO reluctantly I tried downloading these "new" apps....

Then these SAME apps said I did not have the minimum iOS program... I was forced to update my phone.

..................................................................................................................................................

Fast-forward two weeks later, aka today, I wanted to download & organize my pics.

NOW nothing works right...

iPhone CHANGES the ENTIRE photo file formatting to "year/month/abcd"... versus the original version of 1XXAPPLE

Some pics were able to be uploaded to my computer but NOW can't be viewed thru "Windows Photo Viewer".

PLUS

The important pics I want, I now get a Box w/ Red-X saying "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

I tried searching to change my setting on my iPhone and all the pics are in "JPEG" format too.

ANY TIPS or TRICKS for this "old dog" to try?

I was told I may have to create a "Google-Drive" account and try pulling the pics down after upload... I don't even know what that means!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It means to create a Google storage drive. Upload your iPhone photos to the new Google storage drive. And then download the photos from the Google drive to your PC drive. Worth a shot. This info should help you get it done. Hope it works for you!

This link takes you to a Google page. Try this one first.

If the above isn't working for you, I found this info which is more detailed, but may be your best choice. I haven't tried this one myself.

How to move photos from iPhone to Google Drive?​

You can easily transfer photos from iPhone to the Google Drive app in two ways. Automatically and manually. Automatically will be the best choice for you, but I will discuss both options for you. So let’s start!

2.1 Directly from iPhone​

You can either manually or automatically move iPhone photos to Google Drive. Manually uploading indicates the need to back up individual images from your iOS device if necessary. Automatic photos uploading also means syncing your iPhone photos to your Google Drive account so that any changes made to the device photos are saved on Google Drive automatically.

Follow these steps to upload photos to Google Drive from an iPhone manually:
Step 1: Download and update the Google Drive app on your iPhone from the App Store to start this process.
Google

Step 2: Start the app and log into your Google account. Google Drive is activated by clicking on the iPhone home show drive button. A list of new folders would then be shown.

Step 3: Tap to select your chosen folder. Alternatively, tap the Plus (+) icon at the bottom right-hand corner and make a new folder where the pictures can be saved.
folder

Step 4: Next you need to tap the screen's blue and white (+) button.

Step 5: Here you need to select Upload from the options. This helps you to import files to Drive from your iPhone.
Click

Step 6: Pick Images and Videos from your photo archives and select image files. Keep in mind that you'll be asked to authorize the Drive app to view your pictures if you haven't imported images from your iPhone before. Tap the OK button to continue.

Step 7: Press to pick all the images you want to share. When the photo is chosen& a blue check will appear.

Step 8: Press the Upload button at the screen's top-right edge when you finish choosing images. This will allow all of the photos selected to be saved to Google Drive.

Automatically upload photos to Google Drive from an iPhone
If you want to transfer pictures from iPhone to Google Drive automatically, you can use the Google Drive Backup and Update feature. You can store images and videos privately in your Google Drive folder without sharing them through this app. Every synchronized android device often displays any improvements you made to your pictures or videos. This ensures that the new updates will still look the same when you edit or upload an image on your iPhone on Google Drive. You need to follow these steps to use backup and sync on your iPhone.

Step 1: First of all, you need to install on your iPhone the Google Drive app. If you haven't yet activated this app& open the App Store& and select the Google Drive update for iOS.

Step 2: Sign up your Google Account later.

Step 3: Now, you need to press the top menu button. Three horizontal lines represent this icon.
press

Step 4: Now choose the Settings from this menu.
click

Step 5: Pick back up and sync options.
pick

Step 6: To turn on this feature, toggle the Backup and Sync button.
Turn

Step 7: Here you will see the message asking this application to require access to your iPhone files, and allow this Google Drive or give it access.

Step 8: Open the app Options.

Step 9: Tap privacy and select pictures. Now toggle the switch to turn on the option.
Alternatively, you can open the Google Drive app and auto backup for photos in Google Drive from Settings->Photos- > then turn to Auto Backup on your iPhone. To confirm if all of your iPhone photographs are saved automatically, open the Google Drive app, sign in and press Images on your Google account. You can see whether the files are backed up or ready to be saved on the page's top.
If required, by signing in to your Google account you can update your backup settings, pick the Backup account name, and tap the Upload size option.
You can also transfer photos from iPhone to Google Drive through the computer.

2.2 Using a Computer​

This can be done in two ways. The first is for offline photos, while the second is for iCloud photos.

Transfer Offline Photos
For transferring offline photos, you will need to transfer your pictures via file transfer applications from your iPhone or connect them via a USB cable to your computer. For this, you will follow these steps.

Step 1: Open photos.google.com on your PC via any web browser once images are on your system. Now login to your account with Google.
open

Step 2: Click Upload at the top and choose Computer.
Click

Step 3: Then browse the iPhone files you have copied to your system recently.

Step 4: Select files for Google Drive upload.

Transfer iCloud pictures
For this, you will need to download the images saved in iCloud first to Google Drive on your PC. For this, you will follow these steps.

Step 1: Open your Apple ID on icloud.com/photos and log in.
cloud

Step 2: Click on the Picture Select option to the right of the pictures.
click

Step 3: Then select your pictures and videos for Google Drive. To select all files, press CTRL + A (Windows) and CMD + A (macOS).
select

Step 4: Once you select all the important files, click on the download icon to save them on your PC.
download

Step 5: A ZIP file is created. You therefore have to download and extract it. Open photos.google.com after extracting it.

Step 6: Click on the computer-followed Upload icon. Click to the ZIP folder you have extracted. You will see pictures and videos that have been added.

The thing to Note:
In both ways, the uploaded files will automatically appear on your iPhone on the Google Drive app if you use the same Google Account. You don't have to allow any configuration. Even if backup and synchronization are disabled, photos will still be automatically synchronized.

Find out if the upload is successful.
When the transfer is completed, the total number of pictures on your iPhone and Google Drive should be rechecked to find out if the upload process was successful. To check the total number of iPhone photos, you will follow these steps.

Step 1: Open and scroll down the Apple Photos app. You’re going to see the count of total pictures.
total

Step 2: Similarly, open and scroll down icloud.com/photos. Note the number of photos.

Step 3: Now open the Google dashboard and check in the Google Drive the number of images. It should match the above number if there were no pictures or videos already on Google Drive.
total

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I believe you mean PC, CPU is part of the hardware inside the PC, think of it as the heart of the PC.

Now regarding the pics, your best bet is to download the extensions on your PC to be able to open HEIC and HEVC files if it doesn't have them already. HEIC and HEVC are becoming the standard for pics and vids, keeping the same pic/video quality just in smaller sizes so better for the user for storage reasons.

See link below to download the extensions, hopefully it helps

How to open HEIC files on Windows

Also, is the iCloud/Photos app on the PC up to date?

Last edited:

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
There was an update back in 2018 or 2019 that put my pics & videos in HEIC format...

I was able to download a freebie HEIC converter to "fix" those photos & videos.
Plus back then the Settings allowed me to revert back to JPEG format.
Didn't do too much damage to my library [then].

Right now, everything is supposed to be JPEG & "most compatible" for uploads/transfers according to the settings on my phone.

Google Drive... I read up on it now...

I may have no choice to upload to it and then email myself back in JPEG, hoping it works.

I'm try convincing a friend to let me "borrow" their laptop with the latest/greatest Windows operating system and transfer my pics & videos to a flash-drive....
See if that might work too.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I tried to forward a pic but instead of clicking "Messages", I clicked "Mail" and tried forwarding the pic to myself using my Yahoo account.

Phone shows they were sent & I'm here on my computer and don't see any pics or attachments arriving in my Yahoo account.
Yes, I checked my "Spam" box too. Nothing.

Guess that doesn't work either...

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Ahh, I remember the days (20 years ago) of working at a major company in Chicago, where we all HAD to use Apple hardware and software, even such things as printers. Everything was wickedly over-priced, but no matter. The big boss said 'Apple' and we used it all.... and it sucked... I honestly never saw so many cross-compatibility issues, even when sending files between us. If I had Excel2 and someone sent me a file in Excel3, I couldn't even open it until I updated the whole Office suite on my computer, it was ludicrous. And Apple printers were the absolute worst pieces of expensive junk you ever saw.

I left the company, and then a couple years later, went back for some part-time work, and I immediately noticed that all Apple products were GONE! It was all PC after that.....

Users who are viewing this thread