• Other

Votes: 123 24.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by totaled
The smaller filters MAY be the dyno kings but at the track the larger filters will reign supreme!!

Sal, and others, tested the different filters before/after on the track and on the dyno, and each time the 9 inch outperformed the 12. All cars are different, I guess, but nearly every test I have seen shows the larger filters normally do worse on the low end, and then up pulling about the same on the upper end.

03DOHC, you know which one I voted for heheh :D

totaled

Established Member
Originally posted by BNASPLT
Sal, and others, tested the different filters before/after on the track and on the dyno, and each time the 9 inch outperformed the 12. All cars are different, I guess, but nearly every test I have seen shows the larger filters normally do worse on the low end, and then up pulling about the same on the upper end.

Did you realize Sal only sells 12 inch filters?

Also all the fastest Lightnings including my previous, run 12 inch filters!

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=30606

I could care less which filter everyone runs as I believe to each his own but if you are talking which if faster at the track bigger is better.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The CAI you choose is really a personal choice. As men, we do not openly discuss this topic as it is a taboo/private act..err...wait..wrong thread :eek:

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by totaled
Did you realize Sal only sells 12 inch filters?

Also all the fastest Lightnings including my previous, run 12 inch filters!

Yep, that's right. That's why I stated exactly what Sal said:

Originally posted by LightningTuner <---Sal, btw.
Actually what I said way back then, was that my original "filter kit" with the 9" filter performed better than the current 12" filter setups but when JLP and JDM first started up and they were selling 12" filters vs the 9" filter I was using on my filter kits, people got the "bigger is better" bug and nobody wanted to buy my 9" setups anymore. The small filter did not work better than the larger filter, the "kit" that used the smaller filter worked better. The "powerpipe" is basically like my old filter kit, just with the MAF and boot integrated as one unit.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I choose MAC ;) Hmm...doesn't seem to be on the poll :cryying:

mac3496.jpg

F8LBITE

4xPerformanceParts
Established Member
All cars that create a certain amount of horsepower need a certain amount of air volume. Just because its fuel injected, this does not change. If you put a 14x2" air filter on a carburated 500+ hp car, and then put a 14x5" air filter on it will the little one make more power. I didn't think so.:nono: I'm not bashing any company on there product but it will not out perform a 12" filter at the track.

2003white_cobra

Established Member
I think what is happening with the larger filters on the car is that the velocity of the air through the mesh of the filter acts like a laminator at certain air velocities and we all know that you can move more air through a given crossection if it is laminar and not turbulent air. Now the speed of the air through the larger filter may not be high enough to get a laminar flow and perhaps the air becomes more turbulent and that cuts the power down a bit. Albeit not much. If you upped the air flow though...of course the bigger filter will then begin to flow in a more laminar fashion as the velocity of air through it reaches a critical threshold value for laminar flow. It is all about the combination. Everything works together. Just bigger is better isn't always true just like louder doesn't always mean more power. Just my 0.0002 cents worth. :)

Hunter6

Established Member
I bought that X2C motorsports kit and I like it. I had the DC but was one of the guys that it did not work for... for whatever reason. After having problems I like the consitent performance I get out of the X2C kit. May not be highest HP but I like not stalling at intersections and having engine lag when trying to have fun with other vehicles.

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
there is a new pipe coming out from Morpheus Performance, which is being tested on my car. here is a pic of it on my car, dynoed 425rwhp w/off road h pipe and flowmaster cat back.
image010.jpg

the finished product will be jet hot coated and most likely usue blue silicone to attach to throttle body and MAF. it puts the air filter (9" cone) right at the bottom of the fender. we will be doing a huge dyno session testing out different Pro M MAF, stock airbox w/silencer, and a 9" K&N bolted right to the stock MAF. i will post all of the results as soon i get back. also will be dynoing with different pulley/chip tune combinations (autologic chips).

Last edited:

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
i have a home-made filter...what i did was cut a hole in my hood and ran a ram-air type tube throw the hood...it looks a lot like an 18-wheeler muffler...it's really pretty sweet, but every time i wash and dry my car, i seem to cut my hand on the sharp metal around the tube. i tried to grind it down, but it didn't work too well. it sticks up about 3 feet above the hood. so it can get the "cooler" air then what's on the pavement. i had it chrome dipped to add to the bling-bling factor. had it dynoed and it picked up a whopping 75 rwhp and 75 rwtq. i am starting to market it next month. it's called the "Red-Neck-Ghetto-Style CAI". cost of the product + installation will be $2000. i will be well worth it. i can color them chrome, gold, or black.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by sbc.cobra
i have a home-made filter...what i did was cut a hole in my hood and ran a ram-air type tube throw the hood...it looks a lot like an 18-wheeler muffler...it's really pretty sweet, but every time i wash and dry my car, i seem to cut my hand on the sharp metal around the tube. i tried to grind it down, but it didn't work too well. it sticks up about 3 feet above the hood. so it can get the "cooler" air then what's on the pavement. i had it chrome dipped to add to the bling-bling factor. had it dynoed and it picked up a whopping 75 rwhp and 75 rwtq. i am starting to market it next month. it's called the "Red-Neck-Ghetto-Style CAI". cost of the product + installation will be $2000. i will be well worth it. i can color them chrome, gold, or black.

cool :beer:

after you get the bugs worked out, I'll order a black one

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
I've seen enough legitimate charts proving the "bigger is better" theory to be false.

The problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out why :shrug:

If I had a little one, I would probably say the same thing - it is called cognitive dissonance, or Size Deprivation Syndrome (SDS). Thank God I am rolling major trouser worm - Anaconda. ;-)

Everyone knows guys who drive Ligntnings have littler ones - do you think someone lacking self-confidence in this area would buy a car named after a snake? Big shoes to fill.

Brad

Banned
I ran the densecharger for a bit, hated it. John sent me out the elbow that metered the MAF to 12 rather than 9, seemed to fix my idle isues.. but 3 days later I got another stall.. so I pulled the damn thing.. Put the steeda on, and now I have no more issues. The JLP intake looks pretty awesome. In my opinion the steeda CAI is the best looking one to date.

also on a side note.. you guys know how that JLP intake has that tube running cold air into the motor bay from the hole next to the fog light? That seems like it would also work just as well for the steeda cai. Anyone done this? I know postban used to have a how to for installing that tube, but I would like to try it, anyone have a how to or advice on the install?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
If I had a little one, I would probably say the same thing - it is called cognitive dissonance, or Size Deprivation Syndrome (SDS). Thank God I am rolling major trouser worm - Anaconda. ;-)

Everyone knows guys who drive Ligntnings have littler ones - do you think someone lacking self-confidence in this area would buy a car named after a snake? Big shoes to fill.

ROFLMAO...Thank you... I needed a little comedy today :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread