Numbers low??

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Just wondering since I'm seeing some with higher numbers than mine with the same mods.

First sheet is my numbers from the Amazon tune, 2.76 upper with a JLT cold air and Steeda catback.

CobrapulleyCAIinstall007.jpg

Then, the numbers with the rest of the mods....Stieg Stage IV blower, TB and PL, TR6's, MRT Catted H, same 2.76 upper, KB BAP and same Amazon tune but it had to be richened by about 8%. The maf is still stock. Rick at Amazon said I probably wouldn't need the MAFia that I have sitting here but to datalog.

Well, I tried datalogging and then everytime I tried with the Xcal3 it kept showing the other things like rpm, spark etc. but always said "invalid" next to the MAF voltage line. And then my computer refused to recognize the XCal 3 to datalog on it. So, I reverted back to just watching the A/F on the dyno to see if it was pegging. It started to lean out after about 6k and concerned me a little but wasn't shooting at a 45 degree angle straight to lean like it normally would if it was pegging. It was doing the EXACT same thing that it did on the upper pulley/stock eaton with the Amazon tune. Here's the sheet........

Dynosheets006.jpg

And a comparison sheet from the stock eaton/upper only and the ported blower....

Dynosheets007.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I got a 45 rwhp gain out of the ported blower which is still good for the money. I'm just seeing higher numbers than that from people with the same mods. Most getting to the 500 mark at least or right at it.

This was on a dynojet and ambient temps were mid 50's. I have no idea what timing is in Rick's tune.

Last edited:

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
How much timing?

Sorry, I added that I guess when you were posting. I don't know how much timing is in Rick's tune. I was so occupied with trying to see the MAF voltage and watching the A/F, that I didn't look at that.

I'll call Rick this week and see what he says. I wasn't having good luck with the XCal3 that night.

Last edited:

Redfire03

Established Member
Remember all dynos will read differently, if you are worried take it to a different dyno. My cobra has done 30+- on different dynos.

With basically your set up my car 499WHP and 475WTQ. I also had a really safe tune and about 20 degrees of timing if I remember correctly.

dustind6327

Established Member
honestly man ur number look ok dont look at the numbers just take it to the track and c what it can do i got more mods to my car than u do and ur dyno sheet has more hp and tq than me but i can bet u that my track time would be better all cobras r different some dont reach over the 500hp on sum dyno add some do there all different!!! just run urs at the track then compare the times and mph with other cars with about the same setup that u have

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree about not being fixed on numbers, but the numbers do help with tuning. That said, it does look like he's a bit low. Discuss it with Rick. I'm sure if there is an issue he'll find it and fix it.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Redfire03 said:
Remember all dynos will read differently, if you are worried take it to a different dyno. My cobra has done 30+- on different dynos.

True.

:dw:well ur tq is low!!!!!!!

I don't have a lower though.

CobraBob said:
I agree about not being fixed on numbers, but the numbers do help with tuning. That said, it does look like he's a bit low. Discuss it with Rick. I'm sure if there is an issue he'll find it and fix it.

Yeah, as soon as I can, I'm going to call Rick and see what he says.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
were these both mail order tunes

Yep, from Rick at Amazon Tuning.

The first tune with just the upper was a bit rich. Only thing we changed was lean it out a little. The second tune was the same tune just richened it by about 8% and the BAP is set at 30.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
since your in Alabama why not use RWTD :shrug:

Well, that's still a 4.5 hour drive one way. I'm in north central Alabama. But you know what......I'll be in Pensecola for the Gulf Coast Regional show at the end of the month. Hmmmmmmm........not sure I have enough time to do that though while I'm there.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
2 things: I think you're numbers look within what I would expect for your mods, just a bit on the low side. Not sure what you're expecting but most people don't make 500+ without a lower. Also be careful that you're not comparing your dyno to uncorrected dyno numbers. And as everyone said they're just numbers and all dynos will give different ones.

Second, the only issue I see is the lean condition developing after 6K. I would go ahead and install the Mafia since you already have it and retune. See if this fixes the problem, otherwise Rick is going to have to fatten the tune up there.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
You may want to do a compression test. I know someone on these boards has a ported eaton with a 2.8/4lb and he hit 516 with Rick.. I few months later he was at MPH Dyno day and only hit 450-460 SAE on Tims dyno. I just had my car tuned on the exact same dyno he was on and I hit 501 with just a 2.76... Our tunes are about the same as far as A/F and timing. He did a compression test and saw a few that were way low... This could be your issue too...

jdblown03

Established Member
I have a Steeda cold air and a Borla catback, I will be going to RWTD tommorrow to get a 2.76 plus tune, I will let you know my numbers when I get back. Its a 4 hour drive for me but I only hear goods things about James.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
Second, the only issue I see is the lean condition developing after 6K. I would go ahead and install the Mafia since you already have it and retune. See if this fixes the problem, otherwise Rick is going to have to fatten the tune up there.

Well, the tuner I was using said that normally a pegging maf would shoot at a 45 degree angle straight to lean if it was pegging and not gradually go a little lean. And the fact that it did the EXACT same thing with just the upper on a stock blower.

But this is something that I want to still talk to Rick about. Also the very reason why I wanted to datalog but nothing was cooperating with me that night.

nobody told sicstang his tq was low, and its about the same.

i think the numbers look fine. with dyno variance and car tolerances, i think its within range. what octane?

I'm beginning to think so too. 93 octane.

You may want to do a compression test. I know someone on these boards has a ported eaton with a 2.8/4lb and he hit 516 with Rick.. I few months later he was at MPH Dyno day and only hit 450-460 SAE on Tims dyno. I just had my car tuned on the exact same dyno he was on and I hit 501 with just a 2.76... Our tunes are about the same as far as A/F and timing. He did a compression test and saw a few that were way low... This could be your issue too...

Yeah but your talking about a 37rwhp difference between his and mine when he had the compression problem. Also, truth be known, my torque is right up there with you. And I'm only 14 rwhp from you. You also had an 18rwhp difference on me before the ports. I actually made more rwhp with the port than you did. You made 41 rwhp and I got 45 rwhp. So I actually gained 4 rwhp on you. :-D

Most people I see that don't make the 500 mark are around 495. Which is only 8 rwhp difference. So, I'm starting to see that mine might be a touch low but not by much. And I certainly don't think anythings wrong with it. Just might need an adjustment in the tune possibly. But sounds more like mine is just a touch lower than some from the get-go but actually pretty close to a good bit of folks.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Out of curiostiy, don't 2.93/4lb lowers give very similar numbers? Is the stage IV port too much?

TrickStang37

Established Member
Well, the tuner I was using said that normally a pegging maf would shoot at a 45 degree angle straight to lean if it was pegging and not gradually go a little lean. And the fact that it did the EXACT same thing with just the upper on a stock blower.

But this is something that I want to still talk to Rick about. Also the very reason why I wanted to datalog but nothing was cooperating with me that night.

I'm beginning to think so too. 93 octane.

Yeah but your talking about a 37rwhp difference between his and mine when he had the compression problem. Also, truth be known, my torque is right up there with you. And I'm only 14 rwhp from you. You also had an 18rwhp difference on me before the ports. I actually made more rwhp with the port than you did. You made 41 rwhp and I got 45 rwhp. So I actually gained 4 rwhp on you. :-D

Most people I see that don't make the 500 mark are around 495. Which is only 8 rwhp difference. So, I'm starting to see that mine might be a touch low but not by much. And I certainly don't think anythings wrong with it. Just might need an adjustment in the tune possibly. But sounds more like mine is just a touch lower than some from the get-go but actually pretty close to a good bit of folks.

also, there are other variables that arent normally measured, such as tire size, oils used (engine, rear and tranny), how tight the straps were tightened to, cool down between runs, wheel selection etc. I wouldnt be surprised if the cars were really making the same power and trapped within .5 mph from each other on the same track on the same day.

Users who are viewing this thread