NVIDIA GTX 970 Class Action Lawsuit Settlement

lpheaven

Established Member
Hey guys,
I think i remember a thread where this was discussed at length. I had sent Newegg and Nvidia an email last year with my concern.

Here is a email i got from Newegg today. It looks like anyone who bought this card will be getting 30 bucs back and the very least.

asdasd_zpshszivtlg.png

lpheaven

Established Member
I got this today as well. What is the basis for the suit?

Card was supposed to have 1.21 gigawatts but only had 1 gigawatt. Nerdville grabbed their pitchforks and torches and marched on Geektown. So now you get 30 copper pieces and a winesack of mead

Troponin

Established Member
I was having issues with NVidia for a while, so I ended up taking a break from them and going with Radeon for a while. Had two cards by them and was not super impressed and always seemed to have driver issues. No, they were not top of the line cards, one was a 660Ti, which was supposed to be a great middle of the road card, but just didn't seem like it performed like it should. Always wondered if these companies stretched their specs

Will be interesting to see how this plays through.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I just bought one seems like a good card so far and it came with a $30 rebate. I guess that's just really from the class action.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
I was having issues with NVidia for a while, so I ended up taking a break from them and going with Radeon for a while. Had two cards by them and was not super impressed and always seemed to have driver issues. No, they were not top of the line cards, one was a 660Ti, which was supposed to be a great middle of the road card, but just didn't seem like it performed like it should. Always wondered if these companies stretched their specs

Will be interesting to see how this plays through.

Nvidia's drivers absolutely suck. Their driver team is the worst it's ever been. AMD has been on point though. I'm waiting till November to pick up an HBM2 RX 490 from them

lpheaven

Established Member
I just bought one seems like a good card so far and it came with a $30 rebate. I guess that's just really from the class action.

Its a good card. I got it for my daughter for her school - she runs poser to autodesk, after effects etc and it has enough cores to render with no issues. But this summer we've been renting render farms on the web using Octane- way better option imo. For gaming, the card is fine.

Blown 89

Established Member
Nvidia's drivers absolutely suck. Their driver team is the worst it's ever been. AMD has been on point though. I'm waiting till November to pick up an HBM2 RX 490 from them
I feel just the opposite. AMD has the worst drivers I've ever seen.

Troponin

Established Member
At one time, I had to revert back to an earlier driver because the latest drivers were all causing crashing and stability issues. It was a known problem, but the NVidia team wouldn't fix it. After 8 months of dealing with it, I decided to just rebuild my PC. The GPU before that was having driver crashes on a variety of games. It was before Steam was allowing returns, so I Had bought a lot of games I couldn't play. Since going to my 290x, I have yet to have an issue and it's been a year. I guess that's anecdotal, but the odds were against me when I was using NVidia.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Exactly how I feel as well. Even before AMD, Radeon card’s always had some of the worst drivers. It was a very well known fact even in the GPU forums. Havent used them in the past years so not sure how they are now.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I recently switched to Radeon cards as well and while I think the hardware is really on point, the driver support just isn't as good as the NVidia drivers IMHO.

I run the R9 390x in both my work rig and my gaming rig. Comparisons on my work rig for render work isn't even close. It blows anything I've previously had by NVidia out of the water. It's slightly better on my gaming rig which is starting to show it's age a bit.

I will say the last couple driver iterations for the Radeons have been better though.

TK Doom

Established Member
I've always been an Nvidia fan boy.

That said, i just recently bought a 970 (replacing a 560) and it made my 6 yr old i7 2600 run Overwatch and the Doom flawlessly.

That i might get $30 back in a few months...whenever the signups start, is just icing on the cake.

Troponin

Established Member
Fund your gtx 1070 or gtx 1080, both blow everything amd has to offer.
I don't understand these blanket statements. The 1080 is in a price class that .1% of gamers will be in. The 1070 doesn't "blow everything" if your system is limited to 1080p and 60hz. Your system needs to support these super high end GPUs. This is why most of us end up with GPUs in the $200-350 range, not the $700-900 range

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have an Nvidia GTX-960, so I guess I'm not included. Anyone know if the specs on the 960 are as advertised?

Users who are viewing this thread