NWS Pics that make you :lol: every time you see them NWS

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
The treadmill has exactly nothing to do with the planes ground speed, only how fast its wheels are turning. It takes off the same as normal, any other answer is wrong.

Now back to the much more interesting content that others have to post

It only takes off if the ground speed is above zero. Any other answer is wrong.

For that WAP, Tyre was willing to change his pronouns to was/were.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve stayed out of this airplane shit for 2.5 threads now, and I can’t take it any longer.

If the wheels are on this hypothetical treadmill, and the treadmill maintains the exact same speed as the wheels are rolling, I don’t see how the plane can achieve lift. Everyone keeps saying thrust powers the plane, not the wheels…yes, I understand that. But the plane is on the ground, accelerating in a normal situation. If the treadmill can keep the plane/fuselage/wings at a net speed of zero in relation to the air, it can’t lift, right?

What am I missing?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
It only takes off if the ground speed is above zero. Any other answer is wrong.

I’ve stayed out of this airplane shit for 2.5 threads now, and I can’t take it any longer.

If the wheels are on this hypothetical treadmill, and the treadmill maintains the exact same speed as the wheels are rolling, I don’t see how the plane can achieve lift. Everyone keeps saying thrust powers the plane, not the wheels…yes, I understand that. But the plane is on the ground, accelerating in a normal situation. If the treadmill can keep the wheels at a net speed of zero, it can’t lift, right?

What am I missing?
The wheels have exactly nothing to do with the acceleration of the plane. Just accept that you’re wrong and move on

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
thrust will create “wind speed”, dummy…

the wheels do not generate speed / nor wind…

You have to have ground speed for lift. Lift creates flight. If it only took thrust then cars would constantly fly at drag racing, half mile, and one mile events.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You have to have ground speed for lift. Lift creates flight. If it only took thrust then cars would constantly fly at drag racing, half mile, and one mile events.

Apply some critical thinking then come back

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Apply some critical thinking then come back

Man, I’m trying.

I understand the wheels are not what propels the aircraft. It’s thrust, or whatever the hell propellers do (propel? propulsion?) that accelerate the machine. But the wheels are still rolling across the ground correct?

If the ground is moving backwards while the plane tries rolling forward, and the net speed is zero, how does air move across the wings?

My tiny brain can’t get over it.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Man, I’m trying.

I understand the wheels are not what propels the aircraft. It’s thrust, or whatever the hell propellers do (propel? propulsion?) that accelerate the machine. But the wheels are still rolling across the ground correct?

If the ground is moving backwards while the plane tries rolling forward, and the net speed is zero, how does air move across the wings?

My tiny brain can’t get over it.
The wheels will just spin twice as fast

You’re running on a treadmill. You are running forwards at 8 mph, the belt is moving backwards at 8 mph. You are stationary on the machine. I come and kick you in the back, you fly forward and eat shit into the TV display. The kick in your back is what the jet engines on the wings of the airplane are doing - the wheels are entirely irrelevant.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member

You’re running on a treadmill. You are running forwards at 8 mph, the belt is moving backwards at 8 mph. You are stationary on the machine. I come and kick you in the back, you fly forward and eat shit into the TV display. The kick in your back is what the jet engines on the wings of the airplane are doing - the wheels are entirely irrelevant.

Seems bizarre to me. I guess I get the visualization, I just have a hard time looking beyond the wheel speed shit.

Since it’s learning day:

If I throw a baseball 80mph on the back of a flat bed trailer in the direction of travel while the truck is traveling 80mph, would a radar gun read it at ~160mph? (Assuming the truck has created a wind block)

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member

This is why I said that the ground speed had to be above zero. The picture says nothing about thrust.

Without lift, thrust just propels the plane forward.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
This is why I said that the ground speed had to be above zero. The picture says nothing about thrust.

Without lift, thrust just propels the plane forward.

And the wheels or the (moving or non moving) surface they are on have exactly zero to do with ground speed

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
335675139_2405946516232162_4331080911987682333_n.jpg

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Seems bizarre to me. I guess I get the visualization, I just have a hard time looking beyond the wheel speed shit.

Since it’s learning day:

If I throw a baseball 80mph on the back of a flat bed trailer in the direction of travel while the truck is traveling 80mph, would a radar gun read it at ~160mph? (Assuming the truck has created a wind block)
The wheels don’t make the plane go forward. That’s all you need to know. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread