NYPD changes policy, will allow officers to wear turbans

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
The same department has allowed Jewish officers to wear Yarmulkes for decades.
(Little round hats)

Do you have a source for this? Haven't been able to find much on this, unless it's about the fact that they should be able to now that this policy exists.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Bwahahaha... Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

My "non-racist" point is I'm not confusing Sikhs with ISIS, the Taliban or Al Queda and using that as excuse to why someone can't wear a turban.
How do you feel about the Army's use of the Gay-Beret?

So, thread started about NYPD turbins, you bring in sikhism, the Army "Gay Beret"…

Godwin’s law awaits you...

...How do you expect someone to blend in with bikers, drug dealers and pimps if they look like a the damb Hitler Youth?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm responding to the turbans, but if you want to bring the Jews in that's fine. I disagree with the little round hats.

We need to all look the same. Uniform in appearance if you will.

And yet they don't all look the same.

You really don't grasp what a uniform is or its actual purpose.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Do you have a source for this? Haven't been able to find much on this, unless it's about the fact that they should be able to now that this policy exists.
http://forward.com/news/212852/inside-the-heads-hearts-and-yarmulkes-of-jewish-co/

"Rabbi Gary Moskowitz served on the New York City Police Department for nearly a decade, during which he worked as an undercover narcotics cop and patrolled Times Square. Still, he says that many people could never fully grasp the idea of a Jewish police officer.

Moskowitz remembers chasing down a mugger near Columbus Circle in Manhattan and wrestling him to the ground. A passerby did a double-take when he saw Moskowitz, an observant Jew who wears a skull cap, handcuffing the thief.

“What is that? What are you wearing on your head?” Moskowitz remembered the passerby asking. “This?” Moskowitz asked, pointing to his yarmulke. “It’s the new summer police uniform,” Moskowitz deadpanned. “No, of course,” he said after a beat, “it’s a yarmulke.”"

Rabbi Gary Moskowitz is also a 7th degree black belt in both Juijitsu and Karate.

http://www.wheel-life.org/rabbi-sen...s-therapy-gives-you-physical-mental-strength/

There are around 3,000 jewish police officers on the NYPD. That's around 9% of the entire force.
Naturally this didn't happen overnight.
It is also possible that other Sikhs may want to join the force now that these officers have been hired.

Last edited:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I've got no problem with it and I fully support it.

Sikhs do not wear a turban to make a political statement. They wear it as a part of their faith. Sikhs are pretty darn good people too. They'll give you the shirt off their back, literally, and are required to stand up for those who cannot do so themselves.

Wearing a cross is not a religious requirement of the Christian faith, but a turban or a yarmulke are both requirements of those faiths.

As a Christian, and an American, I support the NYPD in this move. Considering the awful things that the department has been known for over the last century, this is reassuring that eventually they'll better understand the whole "serve the public trust" portion of law enforcement.

CobraKid04

Established Member
And yet they don't all look the same.

You really don't grasp what a uniform is or its actual purpose.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uniform

Please read the above definition and explain how my opinion varies from it.

The standards need to be upheld. Have you looked at departments who, standards have been less? Ie Chicago, NYPD, LAPD. There are many more who receive federal funding and are required by the gov. To loosen the standards.

If you continue to chop away at standards you will be left with very few. Then everyone will cry about those and we will have none.

CobraKid04

Established Member

Sikhs do not wear a turban to make a political statement. They wear it as a part of their faith. Sikhs are pretty darn good people too. They'll give you the shirt off their back, literally, and are required to stand up for those who cannot do so themselves.

Wearing a cross is not a religious requirement of the Christian faith, but a turban or a yarmulke are both requirements of those faiths.

For some reason we are equating taking off the head wrap to not liking them as a person. Typical.

Wearing a cross on your uniform should be prohibited. Jewelery, religious items, anything different from the uniform standard should not be allowed.

I guess we should have officers add items to their uniform depending on the call.

O a Jew called for help, put your little hat on so we can have something in common

As a Christian, and an American, I support the NYPD in this move. Considering the awful things that the department has been known for over the last century, this is reassuring that eventually they'll better understand the whole "serve the public trust" portion of law enforcement.

It has nothing to do with them personally. I'm sure they are fine people.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
By that mentality, women's uniforms should be the same as men.

Why is that acceptable, but not allowing uniform changes based on religious faith?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uniform

Please read the above definition and explain how my opinion varies from it.

Can you highlight the part that says inability to allow turbans be worn?

Why is a stocking cap okay but a turban is not?

The standards need to be upheld. Have you looked at departments who, standards have been less? Ie Chicago, NYPD, LAPD. There are many more who receive federal funding and are required by the gov. To loosen the standards.

What standard? Who's standard?

Uniforms are not unmoving sacred articles of attire. They have many designs and functions. For police it's so the public can readily identify them as an Official Government Police Officer, and provide them an entire that allows them to conduct the work at task.

In no way shape or form does a Turban prevent that. Some officers wear campaign caps, some stocking hats, some baseball caps, some trapper hats and now some can wear turbans.

As stated, a police officers job is to work with the community, protect the community and serve the community. How can you protect and serve a Sikh community when you refuse to let them be members of the police force or respect their valid traditions.

Not everyone in this world is an agnostic non-practicing Christian.

If you continue to chop away at standards you will be left with very few. Then everyone will cry about those and we will have none.

What imaginary standard are you talking about?

This isn't China where our Government forces us to be atheists because the one true god and religion is the People's Party.

Going back to my Gay-Beret statements that you continue to ignore...

The Army had a long tradition of headgear until 2001 when Eric Shinseki thought it would be totally fierce if everyone had pansy Berets and pretended to be in the French/Royal special forces.

Where is your outrage of destroying tradition and standards to accommodate one mans sense of fashion? How do you feel about spitting on the thousands of warriors who actually had to earn berets by serving in the special forces?

Uniforms change. Turbans will eventually get authorized in the US Armed Services. Get over it.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
By that mentality, women's uniforms should be the same as men.

Why is that acceptable, but not allowing uniform changes based on religious faith?

By his standard women shouldn't even serve since they can't meet the physical requirements of men and we had to erode the standards for them.

Only drunk Irishmen should be cops.

policefat.png

wckdvnm

Established Member
Apparently the US Army already allows Turbans.

Sikh-Army-Captain-2.jpg

lamba-4.jpg

Those photos are old I believe, when I went through basic they even allowed the UCP yamehkas or however you spell that word. I do believe they are still at commanders discretion if they are allowed to use them.

Users who are viewing this thread