O/R X Pipe install help

01cobracmdr

Established Member
Hey, I'm new to the forum and I have a question bout my 01. I just got my Bassani O/R X-P in today and it's kicking my ass right now! lol The passenger side nut by the starter to be specific. Does that shit really come off with just a socket, swivel and extension? Do I need to remove the starter? I soaked that hoe in penetrating compound to loosen it but i can't get the right angle. Words of wisdom please? :shrug:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I use a medium depth 15mm socket (Autozone special), and an electrical-taped universal joint on a 12" extension. Sometimes takes some oomph, but usually either the nut will come loose or the stud will back out of the manifold. If you have difficulty, try warming the engine up a little and trying to remove the stud while the manifold is still warm.

If that happens and the stud and nut are inseparable, napa has a stud/nut kit replacement for about 12 buck (2 studs and nuts), the p/n is 600-1819.

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I use a medium depth 15mm socket (Autozone special), and an electrical-taped universal joint on a 12" extension. Sometimes takes some oomph, but usually either the nut will come loose or the stud will back out of the manifold. If you have difficulty, try warming the engine up a little and trying to remove the stud while the manifold is still warm.

If that happens and the stud and nut are inseparable, napa has a stud/nut kit replacement for about 12 buck (2 studs and nuts), the p/n is 600-1819.

I use that same trick all the time of using tape to hold the U-joint in position, so it doesn't flop over as I move to the bolt. If you have any swivel sockets that would def work as well, if not better. Also, I've found that rather than using a single 24" or 18" extension, I use several 3" ones and a 6" one - that way I get a bit more movement so I can position the socket correctly. What you'll end up doing is have the ratchet's extension and socket right up against the pipe in order to get the socket to seat correctly on the nut.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Oh, and if you round off the nut, it REALLY gets fun. Don't ask me how I know. Then you need an extractor socket and soundproof walls...LOL

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I spent almost two days trying different combinations of extensions and u-joints, couldn't get that mother ****er to budge. Ended up having to drop the k-member to get access b/c it had slightly rounded off.

jacker1991

Established Member
Remember to not put back the 3rd nut(the top one) back, I don't remember if it's the one you are talking about but is always a pain in the ass to take out.

01cobracmdr

Established Member
Thanks everyone! That was a nightmare to say the least! I had to drop the starter and torch that sob off. But it sounds great with my loudmouths!:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread