Obstructed windsheild view in MD question, quick help needed!

rocktilldeath10

SVT Poster
Established Member
i got stopped today and ticketed for "operating vehicle on highway with obstructed windsheild view".

A $110 fine and i was just wondering if it comes with points? the trooper didnt know.

Please help!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
i got stopped today and ticketed for "operating vehicle on highway with obstructed windsheild view".

A $110 fine and i was just wondering if it comes with points? the trooper didnt know.

Please help!

It should have no points because it is not a moving violation in most states.

oldmodman

Established Member
What was obstructing your view?

Please be specific. Like Baby shoes hanging from rear view mirror. Or huge www.something or other.com at the top of your windshield.

How about a 14-71 Blower sticking up through the hood?

rocktilldeath10

SVT Poster
Established Member
tint

and I called the State police headquarters today and they said the trooper should have given me just a repair order, but it was "up to the officers discretion" to give me that ticket. why would he decide to do that? I knew he was coming for me, I pulled right over into a parking lot, put all my windows down, and was very polite and courtious.

They said its one point against my license. Do you think if I go to court, i can get that point dropped? I have cdl with no points on my record.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
tint

and I called the State police headquarters today and they said the trooper should have given me just a repair order, but it was "up to the officers discretion" to give me that ticket. why would he decide to do that? I knew he was coming for me, I pulled right over into a parking lot, put all my windows down, and was very polite and courtious.

They said its one point against my license. Do you think if I go to court, i can get that point dropped? I have cdl with no points on my record.

Was the whole windshield tinted? Half?

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
sounds like the top part of the window was tinted, and went down too far on the window.

post up a pic of your windshield.....

kinda odd, though, is that you can see through tint...i dont see how it "obstructs" your view.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
Odd, if your front window was tinted, he shoulda just written an ERO (equipment repair order) and POSSIBLY a citation too, most officers I know just write one or the other, but both can be written.

rocktilldeath10

SVT Poster
Established Member
yes the whole windshield was tinted...he said it was "blacked out" which is obviously not even close. Its on my 07 gmc 2500HD. The head quarters people i talked to said it was "up to officers discretion" wether to write a citation or not.

My side windows are 5% and he never said anything about them. He never tested my windshield for tint %, never said anything about a repair order, or taking the tint off.

Im just going to go to court and try to get the point dropped. I dont mind paying the fine, because I was wrong, but dont need the point on my license.

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
I'm just curious....Why would you tint your entire windshield? Had you been in an accident and the others attorneys found out, they'd have a field day with you...

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
I'm just curious....Why would you tint your entire windshield? Had you been in an accident and the others attorneys found out, they'd have a field day with you...

I think that's the chance some people take, just like speeding. Not that I condone to tinting the front winshield but there are several good reasons for tinting. Besides the fact that it looks nice, it makes it harder to see valuables inside the vehicle.. I was involved in a major accident over ten years go and the impact from another vehicle threw shards of glass in my eyes. Tint would have helped to prevent this....

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
yes the whole windshield was tinted...he said it was "blacked out" which is obviously not even close. Its on my 07 gmc 2500HD. The head quarters people i talked to said it was "up to officers discretion" wether to write a citation or not.

My side windows are 5% and he never said anything about them. He never tested my windshield for tint %, never said anything about a repair order, or taking the tint off.

Im just going to go to court and try to get the point dropped. I dont mind paying the fine, because I was wrong, but dont need the point on my license.

No offense, but tinting the entire windshield is not the smartest thing to do. Most officers I know (including myself) would write paper on a motorist such as you.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member

whole window tinted?

no problem, just show the doctors perscription that you require this for your bad eyes.......:coolman:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Maryland does not allow any tint on the windshield below the as-1 line so he doesn't have to check your tint%. your 5% is illegal there as well. he probably didn't tell you to take it off because the judge will do that.

Frankly if I were an officer I would give more leeway to side window than to window tint on the windshiled that would get a ticket everytime.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I think that's the chance some people take, just like speeding. Not that I condone to tinting the front winshield but there are several good reasons for tinting. Besides the fact that it looks nice, it makes it harder to see valuables inside the vehicle.. I was involved in an major accident over ten years go and impact from another vehicle threw shards of glass in my eyes. Tint would have helped to prevent this....

Unless the car you were driving was manufactured prior to 1937 the windshield would have been made of safety glass and therefore no shards of glass. So tint would make no difference. Additionally, since 1965 all windshields were required to be laminated. Therefore, it stays together.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Unless the car you were driving was manufactured prior to 1937 the windshield would have been made of safety glass and therefore no shards of glass. So tint would make no difference. Additionally, since 1965 all windshields were required to be laminated. Therefore, it stays together.

With all due respect sir, yes it stays together as a whole but does not keep small razor sharp shards or pieces of glass from being strewn throughout the inside of the vehicle upon heavy frontal impact. The vehicle that I had my accident in was a 2000 year model. It had the preferred type of windshield for most vehicles used today. Laminated windshields are made of two curved glass with a rubbery plastic laminate sandwiched between the two. This still leaves opportunity for the bits of glass to enter the inside of the vehicle.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
With all due respect sir, yes it stays together as a whole but does not keep small razor sharp shards or pieces of glass from being strewn throughout the inside of the vehicle upon heavy frontal impact. .
they are not razor sharp nor are they properly referred to as shards. while they MAY cut you if you pick them and play with them or if you impact the windshield under normal circumstances they are pretty safe.
The vehicle that I had my accident in was a 2000 year model. It had the preferred type of windshield for most vehicles used today. .
There is nothing "preferred" about it. the windshiled construction is mandated by federal law.
Laminated windshields are made of two curved glass with a rubbery plastic laminate sandwiched between the two. This still leaves opportunity for the bits of glass to enter the inside of the vehicle.
as I said above it does not "shard" and unless something impacts the windshiled it will generally hold together in one piece that is what the inner layer of "polyvinyl butyl which is a plastic" (yeah I had to look that part up). the reason a whindshield breaks up into round bits is because it is tempered. Tempering prevents the "sharding" of the glass.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
they are not razor sharp nor are they properly referred to as shards. while they MAY cut you if you pick them and play with them or if you impact the windshield under normal circumstances they are pretty safe.
There is nothing "preferred" about it. the windshiled construction is mandated by federal law.
as I said above it does not "shard" and unless something impacts the windshiled it will generally hold together in one piece that is what the inner layer of "polyvinyl butyl which is a plastic" (yeah I had to look that part up). the reason a whindshield breaks up into round bits is because it is tempered. Tempering prevents the "sharding" of the glass.

This!!

rocktilldeath10

SVT Poster
Established Member
i know tinting the whole this was not the smartest idea, yes it looked good, but probably not worth the trouble.

And really, it is NOT that much of a difference on the inside, i will post a pic tommorow when I take it off

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Yessir, maybe your missed the part that I said I was in a major accident.(Not your everyday fender bender) I am not talking about the little square pieces of glass that lay in your floor board when someone breaks your window. I'm talking about small slivers of razor like glass that thrown from the windshield while another car hits you head on..Imagine tiny razor blades of glass in your eyes and tell me again that they are pretty safe..
FYI:shard   /ʃɑrd/ Show Spelled[shahrd] Show IPA
–noun

1.a fragment
a.a scale.
b.a shell, as of an egg or snail.
3.Entomology. an elytron of a beetle.

Preferred meaning: used/mandated by Auto Manufaturers and Federal Law

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread