OBX guys

MJG

Established Member
Ordered the LTs.
They come with the mids and resonators, I have to toss the resonators and install Highflows due to emissions.
What highflows will work as a direct replacement for easy install?

Thanks

SixtiesIron

Established Member
magnaflow works good,..BUT

Here in california 'universal' type cats have been banned, as have ANY mod at all to mid-pipes. It must be the EXACT factory piece or the compant selling the cat/mid-pipe rreplacement must go and get there parts certified with the california air resources board CARB, heads up this will travel around the country like the rest of california's laws,..

SMOG with original parts then swaap out is easiest, or you know,.....every town has one that will do it.

be prepared to maan-handle the EGR too, i had to pull on mine real good, put it all on loose then tighten all of it together

very happy with mine i have the full system, very nice sound, and quality

ernie
Sixties Iron

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
OBX sells a direct fit cat. As to the quality or how long they'll hold up? No idea. Per the guy I talked to they're the kind that will melt when they fail rather than breaking apart and clogging up.

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Oh and CARB is one of the biggest scam/scandal bullshit organizations on the planet. I don't say that just because I think their regulations suck, I say it because the science behind their regulations has been proven to be phony. One of the guys was even found to have bought his degree online. Not like online school, more like he paid a guy for a fake piece of paper. And these are the ****s fining us and telling us we need shit like the EGR blowing junk back into our motors because its 'more efficient' and 'cleaner' when in fact in the long run it causes the car to spit out even more bad shit.

Its all fine and dandy if you like the idea of buying a new car or spending heaps on a new motor every 3-5 years. I personally like keeping mine a lot longer.

MJG

Established Member
Yes I heard the OBX cats are junk, thats why I never bought them. I'm in Canada and we are strict on our emissions, but universal Magnaflows pass just fine. Need to know the dimensions of which to pick, I.E. 1.75" ID and 13" length and so on.
The best way to get out of having to fab up some extra tube for the mids.

skipthedrummer

Established Member
I can't find my reciept for what size, but when I bought my full OBX system, I measured the resonators and bought cats in similar size. I couldn't find any direct bolt in cats for the system, and if you can they'll probably leak anyways.

I installed mine catless and took it by an exhaust shop and had 2 Magnaflow highflows welded in for 100 bucks. They also extended my o2 sensor cables and gave me new o2 sensors. I purchased the cats off eBay new in box for 100 bucks shipped as well.

With this catted setup I spent just under 900 for a full exhaust with 2 highflows.

MJG

Established Member
^^^ Ontario Ministry now has a governing body (green/white trucks and cars) pulling over and harassing vehicles which they believe are pollutants and not stock. They will even heat test your cats right on the side of the road.
300+ fine per side for anything other than stock set-up plus you have to revert back to original set-up.

fun.

MJG

Established Member
YEP, unfortunately 1 cop alone is the judge and jury, innocent until proven guilty my arse.

Funny this is brought up, my neighbour across the road is a police officer. On a weekly basis himself and a bunch of friends sit on the driveway drinking their lives away...he lets his (DRUNK) friends rip off down the street at the end of the night.
Now you're telling me that guy can get my truck impounded no questions asked because I chirp my tires from a light, with no racing or intention to?

BS.

Users who are viewing this thread