OBX Headers Arrived (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
I run OBX on my Lightning, and authored the install article for the same. As far as the Lightning's go, they are cheap, they make power, and even after use in Canadian winter as a DD they haven't cracked, rusted out, or caused cancer in lab rats.

The only reason why I wouldn't want to use them in a GT500 would just be for difficulty in install should I ever need to pull them off. A Lightning I could swap them in 3 hours and no trouble.

Despite, what some people wish to think, Made in China now, does not mean the same thing as it did 10 years ago with regards to materials etc. As far as actual construction goes, they are far ahead of the Flowtech and MAC offering's I've dealt with in the past.

I'd compare them to BBK or a little better, certainly not a set of Stainless works here, but not rock bottom either.

Keep us posted.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd use Swaintech over JetHot if you get a coating done. Google OBX and STi or Subaru too...believe they make exhaust for that make too.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Well the way the industry is looking made in china could mean made right here in the USA the way they are buying businesses and plants. Since they copied dynatech you don't have to remove them for anything once installed. Even the trans will slide back with a slight rotation come right out of the car.

I don't see them cracking or coming apart. Just because something costs more doesn't mean that it is better. Now in no way am I advocating buying the cheapest thing out there but some deals are great and some produts are just as good as the same higher priced one. Trojans are great but Lifestyles work just as well.

rdsnk46

Established Member
For $300.00 they could last 6 months and you'd still come out on top! GL Bro!

Bulldogger

Established Member
OBX had issues years ago. They've stepped up their game and you should be fine. Plenty of guys have used them on the CF without issue.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Very nice! I'm about to get the OBX longtube and catted x-pipe package for my Lightning, $690 shipped brand new!

CPRsm

Well i come from the Evo world and lets say my OBX exhaust manifold cracked where the welds are,....
It's because they pulse weld and it causes under cut at the weld which severely weakens it. But pulse welding is how you get someone who doesn't know how to weld to put down "nice" welds. The machines does the work. Problem is they don't add enough rod, and that's where the under cut comes from. Metal also doesn't like to go hot cold hot cold. That is an advantage of tig over mig, and one of the reasons NHRA requires tig for chrome moly. It structurally changes and becomes brittle. Some people get lucky though. And have seen some people get 150 miles out of megan's junk lol.

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
As you stated they are great looking with good quality welds. However be aware that you may have trouble fitting them on your car.
We did a set recently on a 2007 Mustang GT and they didn't clear very well.
Specifically they headers on the driver's side were too close to the frame and would occasionally hit and vibrate. The clearance to the steering rack was also too close and it would occasionally hit and cause a vibration. Our customer had the cats on his x-pipe and they failed (broke) within 2 weeks of driving and started rattling badly.

The customer was so upset that he had us change them out for a set of Kook's headers and he couldn't be happier now. Clearances are no longer a problem.

Hopefully being a GT500 you may not have those issues.

Good luck.
Ryan

jfitts23

Established Member
please keep us updated. i'v always wondered about these. They have been out for awhile and this is the first time i'v heard someone talk about them in the gt500 forum. Are you gonna run cats or no cats.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
He caught a great deal you might from a friend. Now you could just buy the dynatechs for about 599 or less.

A DuB

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. Yes i bout them from a member here on SVTP. I will keep you guys posted. Itll be awhile before they go in. Still have a lot of warranty left

8urV8

Addicted To Boost!!!
Established Member
I have used them on my Lightning for about 4 years with no problems and made some really great power in my combination. You can't beat the price and shopping for exhaust for my GT500.

A DuB

Established Member
Nope, sorry AJ. The car is still stock. Have to collect a few more parts before I put them on. I only want to tune it once, so everything will go on at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread