Occasional smell of burning oil

04nccobra

Established Member
Every once in awhile when I drive my car hard I will catch a smell of burning oil. I have checked the car from top to bottom and can't find any leaks. Had a friend follow me and he said there is no smell from behind nor any smoke from the pipes. The engine oil level is good and I am using 5W-20 Mobil 1.

I seem to notice a bit more inside the car when the windows are up and I am using the vent, or heat.

Any ideas?

01bluesnake

Established Member
Also, how many miles on the car? Have you tried changing out your in cabin micron filter? One weird instance with a customer. complained they smelled burning oil, couldnt find any leaks. Decided to pull out the in cabin filter and someone who the customer made mad or a angry tech wiped grease on the filter and installed it back in the car lol. changed it out and customer said the smell went away.

20redfire03

Established Member
Disregard. Didn't check the area of the forum.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Not many people remember them, kind of the forgotten maintenance item. Yes, since '05. They are located in the passenger cowl and suppose to be changed every year or 12k

Last edited:

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Also, how many miles on the car? Have you tried changing out your in cabin micron filter? One weird instance with a customer. complained they smelled burning oil, couldnt find any leaks. Decided to pull out the in cabin filter and someone who the customer made mad or a angry tech wiped grease on the filter and installed it back in the car lol. changed it out and customer said the smell went away.

Angry tech upper decker. Hee hee.

04nccobra

Established Member
Car has 2800 miles on it, don't think it's the cabin filter. Could the dealer have over filled the oil? I dropped the plastic shield under the oil filter and it's clean no leaks there, filter is clean, as is the drain plug.

Also new GT500 mufflers were installed last week, at the same time as oil change, I would think if there was oil on the mufflers it would have burned off pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Worth a quick look at the cabin filter since it's easily accessible.

Was your tech angry? Can you provide a physical description if he was?

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Running a catch can or open breathers?

Funny I was going to post about this as well. I have a hair perm smell sometimes coming from my car after I get on it for a bit that I noticed a few times in the garage when Ive gotten home. I have a catch can installed but it's mainly from under the car I notice it when I open the door to get out. Popped the hood no smell in there..

Last edited:

04nccobra

Established Member
Checked a few other things including the cabin filter which is fine, when I pop the hood I can smell it mainly on the passenger side of the engine, more so towards the front. Again I looked hard and do not see any leaks. Or any sign that oil was spilled when filling.

I guess it's time for a dealer appointment.

Doug1227

Established Member
You said this popped up after having an oil change right? I'm sure the tech that was putting oil in it spilled a little down on the header or something. That's on the passenger side where you're smelling it. It just happened after the oil change, never before?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
You said this popped up after having an oil change right? I'm sure the tech that was putting oil in it spilled a little down on the header or something. That's on the passenger side where you're smelling it. It just happened after the oil change, never before?

Spilled some, opened the cabin air filter door and wiped it off on the filter I reckon.

04nccobra

Established Member

It was there before the oil change, just seems to be getting worse. I also was standing there talking to the tech when he serviced the car and installed the mufflers, he used a screw in type funnel so I doub't it spilled.

I have about 6-hrs driving on the car since the change if it had spilled I think it would have been burned off by now.

Users who are viewing this thread