OEM Windshield

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
IMG_0552.jpeg
Are these available at all? Rock hit my windshield about 6 weeks ago….not sure where to start on trying to find an OEM replacement.

01yellercobra

Established Member
When my son worked at Safelite they were able to get them. But they were $$$ and the wait time could be long. But that was around Covid time.

What about having the chip repaired?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I got an OEM a few years ago (2 or 3). You need to specify you want the Running Pony on it. I think I had to pay an extra $100 even with glass coverage but was worth it to me.

That was the hold up for me. They could get the glass without the pony in a couple days. The glass with the pony was a special order.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
I’ll call safelite. I didn’t see as an option when going through their online appt setup. I’ll see what they say.

I’m worried about getting the running pony and not just some bare glass.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
FWIW,
- Carlite's trademarked "SoundScreen" windshields weren't installed on Ford products until ~2007.
- I do not know if a replacement made today for a pre 2007 Ford would even be made with SoundScreen materials.
- I've read articles stating that some aftermarket windshields lack the structural integrity of OEM windshields. That did not surprise me.

From our '12 Escape:

1692891743735.jpeg

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
You can still get factory OE Carlite glass. Any glass installer can get it, or you can order the windshield from the dealer. My suggestions is use an independent local glass installer.

1692964282994.png

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
DW1395GTY is the OE part number, and yes, you want to call a locally owned store front glass company, NOT the national company. The average tech there has 2-3 years experience and won't know jack about your New Edge. I'd plan to drop the car off to whoever does the work, and be prepared to buy a new cowl too.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
You can still get factory OE Carlite glass. Any glass installer can get it, or you can order the windshield from the dealer. My suggestions is use an independent local glass installer.

View attachment 1806969
I didn’t even think about Tasca Ford. Thanks.

I’ll be making some calls here soon. Thanks for all the help, gents.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
DW1395GTY is the OE part number, and yes, you want to call a locally owned store front glass company, NOT the national company. The average tech there has 2-3 years experience and won't know jack about your New Edge. I'd plan to drop the car off to whoever does the work, and be prepared to buy a new cowl too.
Just put a new cowl on last summer. Oh well…

01yellercobra

Established Member
If it's that new it might still be ok. I think they have to pull the A pillar trim to replace the glass which makes it a lot easier to replace the cowl.

On that note, where's a good place to get a cowl? I tried to order one from LMR, but it's forever backordered. I ordered a replacement online for my daughter and it never fit the way it should.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
If it's that new it might still be ok. I think they have to pull the A pillar trim to replace the glass which makes it a lot easier to replace the cowl.

On that note, where's a good place to get a cowl? I tried to order one from LMR, but it's forever backordered. I ordered a replacement online for my daughter and it never fit the way it should.
I went aftermarket from LMR. Fit was OK; my OEM was cracked so anything was an improvement. I don’t think anyone knows it’s aftermarket if that helps.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn’t even think about Tasca Ford. Thanks.

I’ll be making some calls here soon. Thanks for all the help, gents.
Are you near Tasca Ford in Rhode Island? Or would you have it shipped to you and installed locally?

03' White Snake

Established Member
I’m that guy that removes the cowl and a pillars before bringing it in so they don’t break it. I know how to take it off easy. Was in and out quick. I also went to a local glass shop that has old seasoned guys doing the work. They brought me out to the floor to show me a rock chip on the top painted part before they started. I knew it was there, but they didn’t want to be blamed for it which was cool and fine by me.

IMG_0245.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread