Off Duty Question.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
The other day I was taking my friends Civic Si for a drive. I was with him and I wanted to see how it drove. He had some bolt-ons, and when I turned onto a quiet no outlet street to turn around, I goosed it in first gear just to see what kind of balls it had. When I got to the end of the street and turned around, a guy came out of his house and flagged me down. I stopped, and he proceeded to yell at me for "ripping it down a quiet street".

I apologized for being an idiot, and he proceeded to keep harping that he was a police officer (in a different town). He said he had gotten my friend's license plate number, and if he wanted to he could look up where he lives and mail him a ticket. :dw:

We kept our mouths shut apologized again and said it would not happen again. We went on our way and left after he was done. We talked about this for a while when we got back to his house about what he said. After trying to google it with no avail, I figured turning to you guys would give me an answer. Any one have any information on this?

Thanks in advance :beer:

351inside

Established Member
i dont understand why people proceed to "go fast" in neighborhoods. There are kids all over and it could just be your luck that one is playing and runs across the street.. SMH

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
i dont understand why people proceed to "go fast" in neighborhoods. There are kids all over and it could just be your luck that one is playing and runs across the street.. SMH

1. There is no speed limit on such a little road.

2. I winded it out in first gear to approximately 6000rpm. At that rpm in first gear I was probably going no more than 25mph. The car was just loud and had that ricer sound.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
To answer a few of your questions. Yes he could sign a complaint against you for speeding, careless driving or the loud exhaust. But then again anyone can sign a motor vehicle complaint against you if they witnessed it. If he was in his jurisdiction he could mail you a ticket from his ticket book he is issued by his department.

As far as you statement of " There is no speed limit on such a little road". That is incorrect ever road in NJ has a speed limit whether posted or not. In a residential area it is 25 mph unless posted different 35 in a bussines district and 50 for rural areas. There are only 3 true speed limits in NJ the others are changed by the state due to the road conditions and area. This was all on your drivers test look it up.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
To answer a few of your questions. Yes he could sign a complaint against you for speeding, careless driving or the loud exhaust. But then again anyone can sign a motor vehicle complaint against you if they witnessed it. If he was in his jurisdiction he could mail you a ticket from his ticket book he is issued by his department.

As far as you statement of " There is no speed limit on such a little road". That is incorrect ever road in NJ has a speed limit whether posted or not. In a residential area it is 25 mph unless posted different 35 in a bussines district and 50 for rural areas. There are only 3 true speed limits in NJ the others are changed by the state due to the road conditions and area. This was all on your drivers test look it up.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this. :beer:

I was aware of the three "state mph" in NJ. I should have noted that, that was a mistake on my part. Either way, I never exceeded the speed limit like I said above.

This incident happened in Kinnelon which is where he lives. The officer stated he was a police officer in West Milford. I assume by your above statement, that no, he cannot personally write me a ticket and "mail" it if it is out of his jurisdiction. The only thing he can do is file a motor vehicle complaint against me. If this is correct then thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The officer can call Kinnelon and speak to a commander who can write the ticket under the "fellow officer rule."

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Just curious, isn't it the off-duties officers word against the drivers? If this were to goto court(I would think the officer would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the driver was exceeding the "said" speed limit and define how he came to this conclusion.

I'm not a lawyer, I just know a SID297. :)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Just curious, isn't it the off-duties officers word against the drivers? If this were to goto court(I would think the officer would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the driver was exceeding the "said" speed limit and define how he came to this conclusion.

I'm not a lawyer, I just know a SID297. :)

A civil traffic citation does not hold the burden of "beyond a reasonable doubt." The standard is preponderance of the evidence, which means more likely than not, or 50.1%

The judge will evaluate both parties character and make an evaluation as to who he thinks is telling the most accurate story.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

2. I winded it out in first gear to approximately 6000rpm. At that rpm in first gear I was probably going no more than 25mph. The car was just loud and had that ricer sound.

Has no one noticed the fact that the OP's inaccuracies render his side of the story unbelievable.

A honda civic with "bolt-ons"= two different equations.

Ricer math: 6K rpms in first gear =85mph
Rest of the worlds motoring public math: 25mph in a civic=5th gear at 6k rpms

:shrug: :lol1:

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Has no one noticed the fact that the OP's inaccuracies render his side of the story unbelievable.

:lol::lol:

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
The officer can call Kinnelon and speak to a commander who can write the ticket under the "fellow officer rule."

I apologize for not knowing what that law is. Could you tell me what it entails? I have never heard of it and it would be good information to know. Thanks in advance, FordSVTFan!

Are you ****ing serious?

Even if that were remotely true, do you think 50 is OK in a neighborhood with kids?

Holy crap you people! What is wrong with you?

Next time, try reading my posts before you respond. Not once in either my OP or my second post, did I ever talk about going remotely close to 50 mph. :bored:

If you read you will see I wrote I took it up in first gear, that's it.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jei_1FzBvzs"]YouTube - 2006 Honda Civic Si 1st-3rd Gear Acceleration[/nomedia]

^Watch this video and tell me if the poster gets anywhere near 50 mph in first gear... more like 25-30.

:lol: I hear you on that one! In all honesty, his car has nothing more than a CAI and a cat-back. I just wanted to see how it drove, as I had never been in one before. :rolling:

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
What do you mean "you people?" :banana:

What do YOU mean you people? :D

Next time, try reading my posts before you respond. Not once in either my OP or my second post, did I ever talk about going remotely close to 50 mph. :bored:

If you read you will see I wrote I took it up in first gear, that's it.

I read your posts perfectly. You said you wanted to see what the Civic had so you gave it the juice. When you got criticized for doing that, your excuse was that the street doesn't have a speed limit.

FIRST OFF, how damn stupid do you have to be to think a street within a neighborhood won't have a speed limit. What kind of sense is it to think a interstate will have a speed limit from 55 to 80, depending on where it's located, but a street where people live would be open to whatever speed. Just because it doesn't have a speed limit sign posted in that area doesn't mean it has no speed limit. Good lord, use some common sense!

SECONDLY, I did not say you were going 50, I said that because your reason is it didn't have a speed limit do you think it is ok to go 50? Or 60? Or 70? What's your limit?

Do you really think your car is going to be able to stop that quick. Here's an idea, even if you think it doesn't have a speed limit, how about you slow your ass down before you either hit a kid trying to retrieve his ball out of the street, or a parent like me drags you out of your car and runs you over with it.

People do this in the long ass parking lot next to our house, and I live in FAMILY and Graduate housing and I swear to God I'm going to snap on one of them. It's ****s like you wanting to experience the blistering 200 horsepower of a Civic that aren't thinking of simple things such as your surroundings. How about you take it to an empty road out of town to experience your 11 second 0-60 time next time.

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member

I read your posts perfectly. You said you wanted to see what the Civic had so you gave it the juice. When you got criticized for doing that, your excuse was that the street doesn't have a speed limit.

FIRST OFF, how damn stupid do you have to be to think a street within a neighborhood won't have a speed limit. What kind of sense is it to think a interstate will have a speed limit from 55 to 80, depending on where it's located, but a street where people live would be open to whatever speed. Just because it doesn't have a speed limit sign posted in that area doesn't mean it has no speed limit. Good lord, use some common sense!

SECONDLY, I did not say you were going 50, I said that because your reason is it didn't have a speed limit do you think it is ok to go 50? Or 60? Or 70? What's your limit?

Do you really think your car is going to be able to stop that quick. Here's an idea, even if you think it doesn't have a speed limit, how about you slow your ass down before you either hit a kid trying to retrieve his ball out of the street, or a parent like me drags you out of your car and runs you over with it.

People do this in the long ass parking lot next to our house, and I live in FAMILY and Graduate housing and I swear to God I'm going to snap on one of them. It's ****s like you wanting to experience the blistering 200 horsepower of a Civic that aren't thinking of simple things such as your surroundings. How about you take it to an empty road out of town to experience your 11 second 0-60 time next time.

:rockon:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member

1. Every street has a speed limit. It might not be marked but city's have a set speed limit even if there isn't a sign.

2. Get a friend with a less ricey car.

tj04cobra

Established Member

DAAAAMMMMMN! You shot that one straight from the hip! :rockon:

OP- What if you went to "goose" it and some little kid comes down his/her driveway onto the street on a bicycle and you got ten feet to stop? Do you think you would react fast enough? Negative ghost rider.

The speed limit in my neighborhood is 30, I honestly do about 20 because there are kids EVERYWHERE! They don't watch for you so you gotta watch for them.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member

As I responded in my third post to who I believe is an LEO, I agreed with him about how there is a speed limit. In my OP, perhaps I should have edited it, but what I meant was that there was no speed limit posted. Of course there will always be one of three speed limits on a road in NJ even if it is not posted. It was out of my stupidity that I forgot to both clarify and recall that.

I never gave an excuse for ripping it in first gear, my intentions were and still are clear. I did it to get a "feel" of what the car felt like.

As I have repeated now three times, I only did it in first gear, I never shifted into second or continued to rip it. If it matters, which it probably doesn't now, but I "winded" it up in first gear to about 5K-6K RPM, then let it wind down. I never exceeded the speed limit on the street. As you can see in the video I posted, at 5K-6K RPM the car is barely over 22mph. It's first gear not forth or fifth.

The only law I may have broken is loud exhaust, or perhaps accelerating to quickly, if such a law even exists in NJ. I never once was speeding, and never once did I put anyone in danger.

The world is full of what-ifs and I am not denying I could have and should have chosen a better place to do it. I was using the street to make a u-turn and I simply chose to do it there. No excuses... that is what happened.

Also, FWIW, I don't mind getting into a "creative" discussion or even an argument with someone on a forum, it happens... but your argument is taken less seriously, when you curse at me, and resort to telling me "you'd rip me out of my car and run me over with it". I don't know what you do in Montana or how things work in Montana (although I have been there twice... beautiful state :rockon:), but that would hardly be a wise thing to do in NJ or anywhere. It shows immaturity, man.

As a father of twins, and having a wife you would think you would be mature enough to be able to have a conversation in Donut Shop without resorting to cursing or online "hard-talk". You don't prove anything, and your point is no more proven by saying it.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
DAAAAMMMMMN! You shot that one straight from the hip! :rockon:

OP- What if you went to "goose" it and some little kid comes down his/her driveway onto the street on a bicycle and you got ten feet to stop? Do you think you would react fast enough? Negative ghost rider.

The speed limit in my neighborhood is 30, I honestly do about 20 because there are kids EVERYWHERE! They don't watch for you so you gotta watch for them.

tj04cobra, you are correct like I stated, I made a posting error by saying there was no speed limit, I meant no speed limit posted. Stupid call, on my part I should have edited my post.

I hear you about going under the speed limit sometimes, we have all been there. To answer your question about a kid coming out of his driveway, the honest answer is your correct, I would not. However, that didn't happen so there is no reason to argue that becuae why waste time dealing in events that didn't occur.

I realize now it was not a wise choice, but let it be noted the same scenario can happen anywhere. Where I live at least, there are kids playing in their driveways, and the road their driveway is on is a four lane road with the speed limit at 45. Cars go whipping by at 60+ mph all the time. Risks are everywhere, and what-ifs can happen anywhere and everywhere. Good insight though. :beer:

1. Every street has a speed limit. It might not be marked but city's have a set speed limit even if there isn't a sign.

2. Get a friend with a less ricey car.

Look at my above post regarding my second post. I made a typing error and should have edited it. My mistake!

Also, that Civic Si is his DD. He has an '07 Z06 for "nice" weather and for open track usage.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
As I responded in my third post to who I believe is an LEO, I agreed with him about how there is a speed limit. In my OP, perhaps I should have edited it, but what I meant was that there was no speed limit posted. Of course there will always be one of three speed limits on a road in NJ even if it is not posted. It was out of my stupidity that I forgot to both clarify and recall that.

I never gave an excuse for ripping it in first gear, my intentions were and still are clear. I did it to get a "feel" of what the car felt like.

As I have repeated now three times, I only did it in first gear, I never shifted into second or continued to rip it. If it matters, which it probably doesn't now, but I "winded" it up in first gear to about 5K-6K RPM, then let it wind down. I never exceeded the speed limit on the street. As you can see in the video I posted, at 5K-6K RPM the car is barely over 22mph. It's first gear not forth or fifth.

The only law I may have broken is loud exhaust, or perhaps accelerating to quickly, if such a law even exists in NJ. I never once was speeding, and never once did I put anyone in danger.

The world is full of what-ifs and I am not denying I could have and should have chosen a better place to do it. I was using the street to make a u-turn and I simply chose to do it there. No excuses... that is what happened.

Also, FWIW, I don't mind getting into a "creative" discussion or even an argument with someone on a forum, it happens... but your argument is taken less seriously, when you curse at me, and resort to telling me "you'd rip me out of my car and run me over with it". I don't know what you do in Montana or how things work in Montana (although I have been there twice... beautiful state :rockon:), but that would hardly be a wise thing to do in NJ or anywhere. It shows immaturity, man.

As a father of twins, and having a wife you would think you would be mature enough to be able to have a conversation in Donut Shop without resorting to cursing or online "hard-talk". You don't prove anything, and your point is no more proven by saying it.

I'm sorry you don't like my post towards you, but until you begin to think about others around you, I don't care.

In regarding to what ifs, you are correct, there are a lot of what ifs. It is your responsibility, however, to act in a manner that reduce the chance of a what if happening that ends up in your life ruined and a child's life ruined or ended.

What if you blaze through first gear in that Honda and a 2 year old runs into the street? Are you going to have enough time to stop? How are you going to feel when you get out of your car to see that kid's head split open because he's as tall as your bumper?

I have absolutely no compassion for people who speed through residential areas. If you were to wreck any of your cars tomorrow, I'd damn sure think it's a good thing. Your wrecklessness shown in the above post proves you either shouldn't be driving, or you need to take a good hard look at your actions and shape up.

FWIW it's worth, I've read that fatality becomes a possibility when a human is involved in a 40 mph wreck, and that's inside the car. When do you think the chance of fatality comes into play when a 35 pound child is struck by a moving vehicle? It's probably at quite a bit lower speed.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't only deserve that ticket, you need it.

Finally, it's not how things work in Montana. It's how things work as a parent.

Users who are viewing this thread