Off Road H Pipe or X pipe?

EvilSnake

Established Member
You have probably noticed my other thread about a magnaflow catback setup, well a few of the comments from that thread have me wanting OR pipes instead. I'm trying to decide between a JBA X or a H and I am hoping people who have either of the two can weigh in on their thoughts of what they have, be it good or negative.

My car is a 2011 and I plan on keeping the stock mufflers. I want the car to sound much more aggressive than it does stock but I don't want any excessive droning at highway speeds, I know a X pipe is a bit louder so that worries me that it will cause some serious drone. I think I'm leaning towards a H pipe but I'm somewhat worried it won't be loud enough for me. I have a family member who will be getting a super snake later this year so I don't want to be completely over shadowed!!!

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I wanna keep stock mufflers but want it to be louder without it sounding obnoxious.

fullboogie

Established Member
Having owned both, I can tell you there is not a whole lot of difference in loudness between the H and the X. The difference is in the pitch. In my opinion, the H sounds deeper, the X sounds about an octave higher. Personally, I can't stand the sound of an X pipe, but it's a personal thing. Make sure you listen to some local cars and get what you want.

Last edited:

rlhay2

Established Member
Having owned both, I can tell you there is not a whole lot of difference in loudness between the H and the X. The difference is in the pitch. In my opinion, the H sounds deeper, the X sounds about an octave higher.

x2

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
having owned both, i can tell you there is not a whole lot of difference in loudness between the h and the x. The difference is in the pitch. In my opinion, the h sounds deeper, the x sounds about an octave higher. Personally, i can't stand the sound of an x pipe, but it's a personal thing. Make sure you listen to some local cars and get what you want.

x3

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
I have the JBA X. I am an x-pipe guy, I like the little more raspy sound with a higher pitch like an exotic. I run the JBA, Roush Extreme catback, then Dr. Gas Freq. Mod mufflers in the rear where the stocks were at and its definitely different but haven't heard another like it. The Roush extreme mufflers are pretty much resonators and cut out a bunch of drone.

Last edited:

austin101385

Established Member
I have the o/r x-pipe with my stock mufflers on my 2012 GT500. It is a perfect sound for me. It reminds me of how good my 2001 2v Mustang Bullitt sounded with o/r x and flowmasters. I love the higher pitch the x pipe gives the car. And there is absolutely zero drone. The h-pipe is just so choppy where the x-pipe is so smooth. There is more popping with the h-pipe since the x scavenges and smooths the exhaust flow better.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I prefer the muscle sound that the H pipe puts out compared to the rasp of an X pipe

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
Love my Lethal O/R-X pipe with my stock catback and mufflers. Mine is a 2012 by the way. Its not extremely loud but damn sure is louder than stock. No drone at all either.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The X vs H really comes down to personal preference. Both will make very similar power to one another but will have slightly different sounds to them.

We've got both the JBA H/X pipes in stock as well as our own 2 piece offroad X pipe. Please feel free to give us a call if you have any questions or would like to place an order.

We offer free shipping on all 3 pipes.

Thanks, Jared

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Having owned both, I can tell you there is not a whole lot of difference in loudness between the H and the X. The difference is in the pitch. In my opinion, the H sounds deeper, the X sounds about an octave higher. Personally, I can't stand the sound of an X pipe, but it's a personal thing. Make sure you listen to some local cars and get what you want.

I could not have put it better. Very well said.

Jared said:
The X vs H really comes down to personal preference. Both will make very similar power to one another but will have slightly different sounds to them.

Funny how in the 'Fox days' that so many wanted to switch from an H to an X in search of more power. Fast forward to the early S197 GT500's and their factory X....everyone wanted an H pipe. Crazy.

Zak said:
I prefer the muscle sound that the H pipe puts out compared to the rasp of an X pipe

The 'potato-potato-potato' sound from my E303 cammed '90 coupe with requisite 2-1/2" off road H is something my GT500 can only dream of. If only these engines sounded as good as a vintage, properly done up, small block...

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Free shipping to Canada?!?

I'm sorry but the free shipping is only for the lower 48. However we offer very competitive rates from Fed ex and give you a credit for what the free shipping is worth so I'm sure we can make it work for you.

Please feel free to request an international quote online by adding the item to your cart and starting the checkout process. You won't be billed for anything but this process will allow us to provide you a quote for the item and shipping costs.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Jared

HJZ

Established Member
SRT8tech;13.051554 said:
Love my Lethal O/R-X pipe with my stock catback and mufflers. Mine is a 2012 by the way. Its not extremely loud but damn sure is louder than stock. No drone at all either.

Agreed. Same setup love mine as well. The growl after 3k rpms is just sexy. A little raspy in the lower range but no drones.

Users who are viewing this thread