Offered a job yesterday

Havoc331

Established Member
I basically had a job land in my lap yesterday at the gym I work out at that i'm on the fence about. It has some great benefits no doubt but i really can't decide.

It's construction & I would always be on the road he said. He also said we work 314 days out of the year but it's great money. I don't know if he was just trying to sell me on it when he mentioned i could pull in 80k easily but he also mentioned eventually me becoming a supervisor so maybe that's where the 80k comes from.

I won't see him again untill tommorro so i thought i would throw this up & see what everyone thinks or has experience in construction or still is working in construction.

80k is VERY enticing & i would for sure be able to pay for my Cobra with cash when i get one but i would only be home for a total of one month & two weeks to enjoy it. Of course i will deff have the money to order parts & have it sent to my house so when i get back i can transform the car in basically one day.

It's very rare to have a job thrown in your lap & i'm sure it has it's perks. I don't have full details of everything at the moment. I'll ask him more questions tommorro.

Anyways tell me what you guys think

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
At the end of the day, a job is a job. If you dont have a good one, take it. If you have a good one and it looks like its not going to fall out from under you in the next few years I would just pass. But the way the market is today and if he is saying it is that busy with him, it could be a good job opp

THE_STIG

Established Member
I would find out:
1) Medical benefits, if you get hurt then what
2) Starting pay
3) Starting position
4) Do you have to find a way to work
5) If you will be gone for such a long time, who pays for your lodging.

Havoc331

Established Member
maybe he's trying to take you on a road trip

:lol: :lol: No he works in the office. He used to work out in the field but he says he does his work behind the desk now.

Thanx for the fast responses guys

NJStang: Thanx a bunch for those questions. i will deff be asking those tommorro when i see him

Slider: That why i'm on the fence about it cause to be honest i'm tired of working dead end jobs so this is really something i could use as a stepping stone & learn new things that i could add to my resume. Who knows, maybe this job can lead to something else maybe. That's the thing about the future. You have no idea where it might take you.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
My dad worked construction for 20 years, he never cleared over 40k in his best year :shrug:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
My dad worked construction for 20 years, he never cleared over 40k in his best year :shrug:

My friend's dad works construction (highway) and doesn't have to work winter at all. His wife is a stay at home mom, and they just remodeled their house.

Just depends on what you do.

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
My friend's dad works construction (highway) and doesn't have to work winter at all. His wife is a stay at home mom, and they just remodeled their house.

+1, im no people in construction who are making plentyyyy..

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
What kind of construction?
How much travel?

and as others have said construction can be big $$ or small $$.
Electrical is the same way, doing little residential stuff and doing gas station work, is small pay. But you get into doing brand new homes, service changes, conveyer systems, industrial etc... are HUGE money.

I say if you down to travel, wanna see the country alittle, make what sounds like decent money, and think you could use this to further yourself, then by all means dude, go for it.

Havoc331

Established Member

Hey thanx, does he work in the same city he lives in? I ask cause he was saying me moving around all the time. I guess go to a warmer place when it gets colder i don't know.

That sounds awesome but if he doesn't work winter he must save almost everything he makes during the summer months. No??

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Hey thanx, does he work in the same city he lives in? I ask cause he was saying me moving around all the time. I guess go to a warmer place when it gets colder i don't know.

That sounds awesome but if he doesn't work winter he must save almost everything he makes during the summer months. No??

No. He does highway construction, so that may or may not be applicable to your situation.

However, he does save a lot, but at the same time he spends a lot. He makes enough to where he can do both, essentially.

Building construction is a little different. Lots of times, in bigger cities or expanding cities, you can just drive to work every day. It all depends on where you live. Either way, I've not known a single person who worked construction that was living paycheck to paycheck. Most of the people I know that work construction seem to spend a bunch of money only to have more left over.

It's a good business to get into if you don't mind physical labor and are a good worker. Unless you're working for a shitty company, there is really no low paying construction job.

Havoc331

Established Member
No. He does highway construction, so that may or may not be applicable to your situation.

However, he does save a lot, but at the same time he spends a lot. He makes enough to where he can do both, essentially.

Building construction is a little different. Lots of times, in bigger cities or expanding cities, you can just drive to work every day. It all depends on where you live. Either way, I've not known a single person who worked construction that was living paycheck to paycheck. Most of the people I know that work construction seem to spend a bunch of money only to have more left over.

It's a good business to get into if you don't mind physical labor and are a good worker. Unless you're working for a shitty company, there is really no low paying construction job.

I just want to say thanx to everyone that took the time to read this & reply. Ya'll really did help me with this decision :beer:

FordRacer: I think you just sold me on my decision. I think too that this will be for highway. I have a friend that works for MLGW & he was telling me that alot of construction workers work around 12hr shifts. Does that sound about right? So i crunched a few number even including just working summer months.

I'll just say i realized i would be a damn fool if i passed this opportunity up. I think i will be working all year though since he stated that they work 314 days out of the year

s_x_i

Established Member
I did this for a while when I was younger and made some bank, but it was hard work...

6x12 hour shift - MINIMUM

Away for at least 6 weeks at a time.

We lived in hotels and had all our lodging paid for, we got dinner paid for but were responsible for breakfast and lunch, although the company I was with were good about helping out with grocery money on the company credit card. It worked well for me because I did nothing but eat sleep and work all the hours I could. 90% of the guys on the crew would drink and do some minor drugs or even hookers after work... god knows the number of times I was woken up by skanky crack whores knocking on the window looking for some work. :puke:

If you keep yourself to yourself, work hard and save your money you can make a serious amount in a short time. Just don't get into it as a 'lifer' You'll end up pissing all your money away living in cheap hotels and ****ing crack whores for kicks...

I say go for it! Just pack a few good books. :read:

Oh - just so you know. 365 / 7 x 6 = 312 so to work 314 days would be 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It's very rare to have a job thrown in your lap & i'm sure it has it's perks. I don't have full details of everything at the moment. I'll ask him more questions tommorro.

Anyways tell me what you guys think

It isnt rare, especially when they are a scam. They get people on the road, away from their homes and support mechanism and then dont pay them even close to what they offered. The living arrangements are crap and people wind up working a lot more than originally told.

To have a quality job, that you arent qualified for, just land in you lap is quite rare. But that usually involves family connections or friends.

You should clarifiy a number of things.
1. What is the job today, not the supervisor $80K eventually, what does it entail today. What specifically will I be required to do on a daily basis and how many hours a day and how many days a week.

2. How much will I be paid now? Is it hourly or weekly. Is there overtime pay? How will I be paid and how often? Am I an employee or subcontractor? Am I covered by your workers compensation?

3. How much traveling is required? How long will I be away from home? Who pays for my lodging and meals while out of town? Who decides where we stay? How many people per room?

There are probably a hundred other questions I could post. But I think you get the idea.

Do yourself a favor and make sure everything is clarified to your satisfaction before you accept this position and certainly before you get on the road with them.

Havoc331

Established Member
Hey guys, Feels really good for everyone to back a member of the forum can't thank you enough :beer:

It just might be too good to be true but it doesn't hurt to look into it. I've wrote down everyone questions & a few of my own.

FordSVTFan: I seriously can't thank you enough for those questions. I know it's a very rare thng for a good job to be handed to you. You mentioned that usually happens to family or friends & i agree with you 100%.

I've been talking to this guy from the gym now for a couple months & i don't get that feeling i get if someone is shady. I guess right now all i can hope for is that he is a honest, stand up guy that would like to help me improve my life so to speak.

I don't mind working my ass off as long as the money is there. Working six days a week won't bother me at all. It's not like i'll be partying cause i'm not that type. When i get off work if i'm not too tired i will be looking for a gym to workout in, maybe talking to you guys on here, reading books & magazines, etc.... To clarify i'm there strictly for work

SXI: Your post was everything i was looking for. I'm glad you came in & said whats up since you have already been in that position. If the money is as good as you say & this job IS LEGIT then i'm going for it.

I am so sick of living paycheck to paycheck. I desreve better than this. i always joke with my g/f & tell her i was a rich king in my past life. That explains why i like to spend money :-D

I want to have money in the account, i want my damn Cobra today, I want to save & be able to buy a very nice house, buy my g/f the titties she wants..lol. All the things i'm sure everyone else would like to have daily in there life.

If it takes me being on the road making good money then so be it. i can only hope this is my time to shine. Like they say: " Even the sun will shine on a dogs ass sometimes" The way the economy is right now & everyone being laid off i'm sure would fight me to have this job if its good.

I won't know the answers untill tonight when i go to the gym. Hopefully he will be there. If he is i'm deff going to hit him up with everyone's questions & let you guys know what he says

Appreciate it much guys :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Common

Established Member

That's horrible. Skilled carpenters or craftsmen with ONE man companies clear atleast three times that usually.

Users who are viewing this thread