Offers on vehicles.. How much lower than asking price ?

Vehicles in thread description.. What would you offer ?

• 1-2K under asking price

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • 3-5k under asking price

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • 5k or more under asking price

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
As the title says, just wanted to get some honest opinions/feedback on what you guys consider fair offers on asking prices for various cars ... It's been forever and a day since i bought anything used from a dealer.. I'm looking at c5 z06's, c6 vettes, and GTS Vipers at the moment in the $25-$40k range (the Viper being at the high end of that range of course)... Had a dealer email me a price on a Viper earlier... 1998 GTS with 27k'ish miles on it... price he said was $37,900... seems to be about what book value is on it... however, with the car market being pretty sour for sellers right now with gas and such, i'm wondering how badly these dealers might be looking to move cars like that.. Same with some 05 c6 vettes.. i saw some today online at various dealerships for $32-$35k'ish range with mid 20k'ish miles or so.. I'm looking to put $8-$10k down on whatever i decide to buy... so, given that what sort of price would your guys offer below the asking price on what i mentioned ?? Oh, and i'm not ruling out private party purchase... it's just that the few vehicles i've found i like are at dealerships at the moment... Lastly, before anybody thinks this is a "lowball" intent thread it's not.. I sold an 03 KB Cobra at the end of 2006 and i was offered crazy low prices for it so i know how that feels.. i'm really just looking for some honest opinions so i have a bargaining idea in mind when i find something i really want to possibly pursue getting.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I paid the asking price on the Mustang, it was below book and I wanted it. My BF still makes fun of me because I didn't even try to bargain, but after seeing Mustangs go for 12-15 all summer, I had no problem paying 9. We also paid the asking price on the Lightning, but it was less than others we'd looked at for the same miles etc. So, I've never had experience with haggling, but, my gut would be 1-2k depending on how close the price is to market value.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I say always talk down as much as possible, you can start by taking 1-2k off then go down.

ff500

Established Member
I always start low at least 4 or 5 grand less than asking, it doesn't hurt and see where it goes from there.

tistan

Established Member
I usually offer $1k less than I am willing to pay. You can't get a good deal if you don't try.

jf4boogie

Established Member
IF the car is at a new car dealership you need to find out what trade-in and/or black book on the car is. That gives you a pretty damn good idea of what they have in the car. I usually offer 1K more than that. 9 times outta 10 they dont even have trade-in value $$$ in the car.

i.e. - In 2005 I bought a 03' BMW 330I w/ 27k miles. The dealership had 29,999 on the windshield. I paid 23,700 for the car.

Knowledge is power so if you find a car that you really like, do some research and you should be fine.

EDIT: Just a quick search on said Viper I'd probably start at $28,500. I know some of you think I'm crazy, but I've MADE money on my last 4 cars. The used car market is in the crapper over-all especially "high-end" or "specialty" cars that are considered toys or non-essentials by the vast majority.

Go in and make a serious offer and let them know that for the right price you will buy right now, but also be prepared to walk if they won't negotiate.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Lots of variables. Look at the trade-in value for the vehicle and figure most dealers have less than that value in the car and work from there.

Most used cars are purchased from auctions and loads under blue book. Also blue book is kind of a joke to dealers.

You also have to look at your market. Is there a lot of demand for those type of cars in your area? How long has it been on the lot? Is it their only "fancy" car so they might not care if it sits there and looks good?

I tend to start around 5-6K under depending on a few things.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
used cars sre the dealerships bread and butter. they typically have a large mark up for a good profit margin, not always but usaully. how long has the car been sitting there?

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Lots of variables. Look at the trade-in value for the vehicle and figure most dealers have less than that value in the car and work from there.

Most used cars are purchased from auctions and loads under blue book. Also blue book is kind of a joke to dealers.

You also have to look at your market. Is there a lot of demand for those type of cars in your area? How long has it been on the lot? Is it their only "fancy" car so they might not care if it sits there and looks good?

I tend to start around 5-6K under depending on a few things.

You should start at $2k under asking price. Most dealers have around $3k to deal with. Then they have a "pack" which is usually around $300-$900 that eats away at the $3k profit. So $2k is really a doable discount.

They will laugh at him if he offer $6k under asking price.

Even though the economy is in the toilet it doesn't automatically drop the price of what a dealer owns a car for....

Givve them a reasonable offer or they will more than likely ignore you.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
You should start at $2k under asking price. Most dealers have around $3k to deal with. Then they have a "pack" which is usually around $300-$900 that eats away at the $3k profit. So $2k is really a doable discount.

They will laugh at him if he offer $6k under asking price.

Even though the economy is in the toilet it doesn't automatically drop the price of what a dealer owns a car for....

Givve them a reasonable offer or they will more than likely ignore you.

Well thats why I said that it depends on the market in his area. The dealer I do some work for buys cars all the time for 5K or so under value.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
dealers will make more on a used car sale than on a new car sale. a dealer making 5k and sometimes even close to 10k profit on a 40-50k used car is not uncommon.

used car from a dealer start very low, and dont be afraid to walk away! there will always be a better deal around the corner.:beer:

on the viper i would start out at 30k. then work up. i bet you can get it for about 35k out the door(33k + ttl) or better. 3 things in your favor - there are a lot of used vipers out there, its not an daily driver, price of gas.:rockon:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Well thats why I said that it depends on the market in his area. The dealer I do some work for buys cars all the time for 5K or so under value.

Most dealers do, but, there is a cost to ship them from the austion. Then there is a cost to recondition them (smog and safety), usually $500+. Then you have to pay to advertise them. Then you have to pay the salesman, finance writer, porter, gas, paperwork, rent, utilities, misc. other things, etc. There really isn't as much gross in the cars as the general public thinks (in most cases). Some luxury/specialty vehicles have more in them. The closer you get to wholesale book, the better. For new cars, the closer you get to factory invoice the better.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Most dealers do, but, there is a cost to ship them from the austion. Then there is a cost to recondition them (smog and safety), usually $500+. Then you have to pay to advertise them. Then you have to pay the salesman, finance writer, porter, gas, paperwork, rent, utilities, misc. other things, etc. There really isn't as much gross in the cars as the general public thinks (in most cases). Some luxury/specialty vehicles have more in them. The closer you get to wholesale book, the better. For new cars, the closer you get to factory invoice the better.

Yeah. My dealer is 90 miles from a large auction house in a slow area so they take complete advantage of it.

I moved a lot of cars for them and filed the paperwork.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ask the dealership for the Dealer invoice pricing list, also for the options. Usually invoice or invoice plus 500 dollars.

s_x_i

Established Member
Dealerships - minimum of $5k - no matter what car.

I worked at one for a while and we'd tack on $3,500 BEFORE we marked it up. If we gave 10, the salesmans price would be 13.5 and we'd tell the customer 15. Then when they 'negotiated' us down to 13.5 they thought they had a deal and we had the price we wanted.

When I bought my last car, they told me 21, I offered 16 and walked out with it at 17.2... and I guarantee they still made a profit.

It also helps to go at the end of the month, and whan it's raining.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
Cool.. Cool... Thanks for the input fellas.. i have my eyes on a few things... I just talked to a dealer who has a 1999 911 Carrera Porsche i like... they are asking right around $25k for it... they told me they could do $24k out the door..... should i try and get it for $22-$23k ?? :)

Users who are viewing this thread