Offset in layman's terms \ Wheel Recommendations

AMP GT500

Established Member
I am in the market for new wheels and tires and have been doing a lot of research but I have reached a point where I need help.

Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what offset means? Also, exactly how will different offsets affect performance and appearance?

Additionally, I'd like recommendations\opinions on the best value (brand & source) for wheels in the $400 - $750 range per wheel? Anything I should be aware of (i.e. quality concerns - fitment, finish)?

Thanks
Matt

Kapy

Established Member
I am in the market for new wheels and tires and have been doing a lot of research but I have reached a point where I need help.

Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what offset means? Also, exactly how will different offsets affect performance and appearance?

Additionally, I'd like recommendations\opinions on the best value (brand & source) for wheels in the $400 - $750 range per wheel? Anything I should be aware of (i.e. quality concerns - fitment, finish)?

Thanks
Matt
Offset is basically the measurement of the wheel in regards to the body fender line and clearance between suspension components.

Too narrow of an offset could cause suspension rubbing and too wide of an offset can cause both suspension component rubbing and fender rub.

Not too mention upsetting the handling characteristics of the vehicle as well funky appearance.

whoareyou

Established Member
Offset is how far from the centerline of the wheel the mounting face sits. Positive offset means more than half of the wheel sits inboard of the hub. Negative offset means more than half of the wheel sits outboard of the hub. The measurement is in millimeters.

For example a 10" wide wheel with a +40 offset:
Total wheel width 254mm
Amount of wheel inboard the hub 167mm
Amount of wheel outboard the hub 87mm

GT500s use a fairly high positive offset. Going lower offset means more wheel will stick outboard, higher offset means more wheel under the car. Changing the width also changes things as the measurement is from the center of the wheel. There are many calculators on the web that will allow you to put in stock wheel width and offset and aftermarket width and offset and tell you the differences between the two.

carguy19

Established Member
Steve at True Forged won't steer you wrong.

Best guy in the biz.. He will even direct you the right way if you arent looking for an expensive 3 piece wheel.

OP if you can spend a hair more per wheel, Steve can hook you up with something absolutely insane and custom to your specs.

I would give him a PM or email.

Hes a super guy.

AMP GT500

Established Member
Thanks for all of the responses. They were very helpful, the calculators were great too. I will definitely be reaching out to Steve at True Forged, I've heard nothing but good reviews of his products and customer support.

Users who are viewing this thread