Oh You Joined for TA, Ya Thats Been Stopped.

joel3431

Brain Terminated.
Established Member
:mj: SO FTA, Federal Tuition ASsistance is now suspended. "until further notice due to the fiscal situation" So I am sitting here overseas with the plan of continnuing (See look at my spelling I need more school) school once I get back and it is put on hold?? Cool cut out pay 20%, start charging for military and non essential personell to go onto military bases, WTF is going on. Here is what they said, well you still have the GI bill wow, 678 dollars a month with 0 tuition paid, yep thats as good as the 1200+ a month and tuition paid before. I joined in paritailly to pay for school now thats gone in im sitting in a sandbox twiddeling my ****ing thumbs. I am Pissed.

Sgt. Pissed the **** OFF>

Sorry about the spelling, I typed fast and no I am not going to fix it. **** it.

Ford1288

Established Member
It's a good and bad time to be in the military with these budget cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmore1186

Established Member
TA is a bonus to you while you're active duty so get over it. I'm out and using my GI Bill in San Diego getting $2150 a month for BAH and still have a job making myself $3800 a month after taxes just to chill till school is done. People are seriously way to F***** entitled now in the military. Don't like that you can't go to school? Finish you contract and get out.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
:mj: SO FTA, Federal Tuition ASsistance is now suspended. "until further notice due to the fiscal situation" So I am sitting here overseas with the plan of continnuing (See look at my spelling I need more school) school once I get back and it is put on hold?? Cool cut out pay 20%, start charging for military and non essential personell to go onto military bases, WTF is going on. Here is what they said, well you still have the GI bill wow, 678 dollars a month with 0 tuition paid, yep thats as good as the 1200+ a month and tuition paid before. I joined in paritailly to pay for school now thats gone in im sitting in a sandbox twiddeling my ****ing thumbs. I am Pissed.

Sorry about the spelling, I typed fast and no I am not going to fix it. **** it.
TA is a privilage not a right. it is different that the GI bill and is an expense that the military can take and put back as budget allows. the private sector is the same way. and provide a link to where they are cutting military pay by 20% I have not heard that.

Joining the military so you can get freebies is the wrong reason to join, I don't care who you are. yes, the military should be held to your contract but TA is not part of that contract.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
I agree their are no entitlements, but it just f'ing blows when you have planned to do certain stuff, improve your life, etc and then it's cut. It's the fact it seems to be one of the first cuts and not one of the last. I was really blessed to be able to use it -- I joined for several reasons, one of them being higher education.

Just another FU to the armed forces.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I agree their are no entitlements, but it just f'ing blows when you have planned to do certain stuff, improve your life, etc and then it's cut. It's the fact it seems to be one of the first cuts and not one of the last. I was really blessed to be able to use it -- I joined for several reasons, one of them being higher education.

Just another FU to the armed forces.
it is ALWAYS the first to get cut. and it will eventually get put back once congress and the idiot in the white house get off their collective asses and gets their work done.

joel3431

Brain Terminated.
Established Member
Maybe I should clarify a Few things, I joing The national Guard at 17 with a SCHOOL FIRST CONTRACT. I have been deployed for over 18 months in my diffrent journeys and My GI BILL is not like thoes on active duty. So after 5 years of service. 1 left. What am I left with.. OH yeah 678 dollars a month. 6 years of service I expected a little more for school. It is not the only reason I joined but It was a major part, so Now after I've held my end up TA is taken from me, Yes school first was in my contract but due to the new "REGS" I get nothing. I volunteered for this deployment, If I had not done so this would not have been taken from me. I help everyone out and use my Combat MOS to guard freedom. while mine are slowly being taken from me. Yes I am bitter, Call it what you want but if you are not in the same situation as me you have no right to talk negative about such said situation. It's like you totaling your cobra, but insurance not covering it b.c they went bankrupt the day before, ya you paid your part but insurance is a "privilage" only liablilty is required to drive, the insurance company does not care about your car, just their money.

evolve

Established Member
I was upset by it too (but I expected it). I joined for a different reason, so I am not too butthurt by it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Maybe I should clarify a Few things, I joing The national Guard at 17 with a SCHOOL FIRST CONTRACT. .
maybe you should re-read your contract.
I have been deployed for over 18 months in my diffrent journeys and My GI BILL is not like thoes on active duty. So after 5 years of service. 1 left. What am I left with.. OH yeah 678 dollars a month. .
it is the difference between active duty serving 100% of your time and the reserves serving one weeked an month unless you are deployed. it is not the same and thus benefits are not the same.
6 years of service I expected a little more for school. It is not the only reason I joined but It was a major part, so Now after I've held my end up TA is taken from me, Yes school first was in my contract but due to the new "REGS" I get nothing. .
I think you need to review what "school first" actually means. Everyone I have talked to here has several times the number of years service you have and everyone agrees that "school first" does not equate to contractually guarenteed tuition assistance.
I volunteered for this deployment, If I had not done so this would not have been taken from me. .
This is incorrect. TA is being cut across the spectrum. INCLUDING THE NATIONAL GUARD regardless if you are deployed or not.
I help everyone out and use my Combat MOS to guard freedom. while mine are slowly being taken from me. Yes I am bitter,.
so write your congressman and tell him to get off his ass. you are acting like you are the only one affected by this and you're not. not even close.
Call it what you want but if you are not in the same situation as me you have no right to talk negative about such said situation. It's like you totaling your cobra, but insurance not covering it b.c they went bankrupt the day before, ya you paid your part but insurance is a "privilage" only liablilty is required to drive, the insurance company does not care about your car, just their money.
horseshit. this is a hot topic around here. esp. with people with more time invested than you and they all say the same thing "it is a PERK NOT an entitlement". and if you should stay in, will at some point, be reinstated. you need to remember the reasons for this happening lies in congress and not in the military leadership. they have to cut where it will hurt the mission readiness the least.

you comparison of it being like totaling your cobra is crap because once your insurance company go bankrupt there is no hope of EVER getting your money. at least with TA you know it will be put back eventually once congress gets their head out of their asses.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
Maybe I should clarify a Few things, I joing The national Guard at 17 with a SCHOOL FIRST CONTRACT. I have been deployed for over 18 months in my diffrent journeys and My GI BILL is not like thoes on active duty. So after 5 years of service. 1 left. What am I left with.. OH yeah 678 dollars a month. 6 years of service I expected a little more for school. It is not the only reason I joined but It was a major part, so Now after I've held my end up TA is taken from me, Yes school first was in my contract but due to the new "REGS" I get nothing. I volunteered for this deployment, If I had not done so this would not have been taken from me. I help everyone out and use my Combat MOS to guard freedom. while mine are slowly being taken from me. Yes I am bitter, Call it what you want but if you are not in the same situation as me you have no right to talk negative about such said situation. It's like you totaling your cobra, but insurance not covering it b.c they went bankrupt the day before, ya you paid your part but insurance is a "privilage" only liablilty is required to drive, the insurance company does not care about your car, just their money.

Hang in there. I feel your pain. Somehow they ran out of usable funds in the state of Indiana and I lost out for 1 semester. There are several ways around it - GI Bill, grants, different aid, some schools offer greatly deferred dorm/housing cost, etc. Yeah, you might have to get a student loan to help cover it, but do what it takes. Talk to your school financial aid person. Purdue gave me a 2500 interest free loan for like 2 years when it happened to me -- as in -- on the spot. I was about ready to be booted from classes. Don't wait til the last day, take care of your shit now and it will all work out.

In the end, I know it can be cut. Again, it just seems like a big FU to the armed forces. And it varies quite a bit case to case (esp for Guard/Reserve guys).

canibus

Established Member
Sucks dude, but you're also leaving out the fact that they did pay for it for the better part of 5 years. Others are fresh in and already ****ed. Could be a lot worse.

truefiveo

Established Member
Well if you joined for that reason I have no sympathy for you.

Especially since there are service members in certain MOS fields that don't even have the time to do schooling part time on a campus while on active duty besides online.

They are too busy training stateside then fighting overseas for our country day in day out with no time for anything else!

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member

You greedy mf. All the people who "joined up for school" greatly regretted that move when their ass was deployed two or three times to Iraq with their Guard unit. You joined for the wrong reasons. Why are you twiddling your thumbs, I was constantly busy on my deployments. What's your job?

6 year Army vet here - 2 deployments, 3 if you want to be a pansy and include Korea.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
might as well bitch now. pay, health and retirement benefits are next on the chopping block.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
might as well bitch now. pay, health and retirement benefits are next on the chopping block.

I assume you're talking about the military. And you're right. But it probably won't be long before the government starts hacking into Social Security benefits. It's probably going to become more and more painful to middle class Americans.

joel3431

Brain Terminated.
Established Member
You greedy mf. All the people who "joined up for school" greatly regretted that move when their ass was deployed two or three times to Iraq with their Guard unit. You joined for the wrong reasons. Why are you twiddling your thumbs, I was constantly busy on my deployments. What's your job?

6 year Army vet here - 2 deployments, 3 if you want to be a pansy and include Korea.

Do us all a favor, go to school. READ ABOVE POST before jumping to what you think I am talking about. I didn't join only for school but I am damn pissed of that me, and my wife can't enjoy the benefits that prior service members have like you. I wanted to go on this and my prior deployments I was not forced to since college was first in my contract. So don't tell me I joined for the wrong reason.

joel3431

Brain Terminated.
Established Member
I assume you're talking about the military. And you're right. But it probably won't be long before the government starts hacking into Social Security benefits. It's probably going to become more and more painful to middle class Americans.
I think you are right, Budget cuts I understand we are having a crisis. But where the cuts are coming from could make it worse. IMO. (In general not just the military)

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
If it makes you feel better part of my contract includes student loan repayment and I haven't seen a dime paid out. It was submitted in April and still nothing.
Sorry buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread