Oil breather vs oil seperator

blazen5.4

WildChef
Established Member
I'm tired of having oil sucked in through the intake. I tried 2 different oil seperators and still have all inside and tried the pcv mustang mod . So of I do a breather do j have to both sides ? And will this hurt performance or the engine. Thanks:idea:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I had the breathers for a few months. The oil smell and mess drove me crazy, I went with a L&S oil separator and couldn't be happier. I rerouted the lines from both sides of the cam covers to the L&S unit.

On my L&S Separator I put a tee on the PCV side of the separator to incorporate the drivers side line too.

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
I debating what to do also. I don't want the smell from the breathers and don't want the L&S sticking out like a sore thumb.

Has anyone modified the underside of the valve cover to help baffle the vapors? I'm even thinking about packing it with steel wool, or something similar in a screen also.

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
yea ive got breather on both valve covers, its not so much the smell but the constant oil spitting out the breathers all over the sides of the motor. plan on running hose from valve covers down by crossmember with breathers on the ends...

Terberta

Established Member
I have the breathers with no mess or smell. I put a 4" extension under them, so any oil just runs back down into the valve covers.

p5.0

Fast Over Reving Driver
Established Member
I have the breathers with no mess or smell. I put a 4" extension under them, so any oil just runs back down into the valve covers.

u have a pic of this system. i hate my seperator too. this sounds interesting

Robert Francis

Established Member
On my breathers I used, I believe, 1/2 plastic PCB tubing. The 1/2 tubing fits inside the PCV grommets on the passenger side and drivers side valve covers - and inside the K & N breathers I used. I cut the tubing about 5 or so inches in length - inserted the K & N breather on one end, and inserted the other end into the grommets on the valve covers. I used small worm type clamps around the grommets to hold the plastic tubing in place.

Sonic Blue 03

Established Member
You only need 1 breather it doesn't matter the side you pick, the timming chain cover reaches both heads to release Positive crank case pressure.

Push rod motor's had enough crank pressure to blow oil through the filter. In turn you had to have an evac kit tied to you're exhaust or a vacuum pump.

Users who are viewing this thread