oil change 6 1/2 qts. stick still reads low?.

sean r

Established Member
Just changed the oil for the first time since buying the car. with new mobil 1 filter and 6qts started motor for a minute and shut off and let it sit for a minture or 2 and oil was just noticable on the stick. I did put another 1/2 quart and its now in the middle of min/max. I dont want to over fill this thing anymore and have windage issues. So should full be the mid point on the stick. Not sure if this is common or what with these cars. I thought it was a 6 qt system with filter change.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Mine ussually takes about 6 1/2 depending on how big the filter is and how much old oil u manage to get out.

b_dike

Established Member
This has been debated in depth before. One of the first things I researched actually after I joined.

This is what I came up with... Ford says 6qts, but guys find 6 1/2 to 7qts is the real number. Someone even took the pan off and put 9qts in before the oil level looked like it would be a problem.

I do 7qts... hope this helps

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
7qts here, and previous owner used 7qts as well.

hotcobra03

Established Member
seach and you will find its a flaw,,stick reads wrong,,fix is fill and make new mark,,

i never check oil,,i use 7 qts,,i drain for 30 mins ,,i measure what i get back,, 10 yrs and acouple miles,,never got less than 6 back,,

i use castrol and stp oiltreatment,,338k

TRBO VNM

Yeah, it is definitely screwy with these sticks and inaccuracies. I just put a new aluminator in a car with a stock dipstick tube and stick and 6qt didn't register at all. Checked the length of the stick with another and they are the same length. I chalked it up to fresh motor and the stick being wrong. Put another half quart in and it barely read on the stick.

Users who are viewing this thread