oil change after storage?

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Im pulling my cobra out of storage here in a few days (nice old florida) and dont know if i need to change the oil. I have started it roughly once every 3 weeks to full operating temp after 30 minutes of idle and driving. The oil has roughly 1500 miles on it. Mobil 1 5w 30 if it makes a difference.

Ourobos

Established Member
Mine sees the same amount of action.. If the oil looks clean, I go by mileage, not time. Takes run time to make oil dirty, just sitting isn't going to deteriorate it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This is one reason why I never start the car during winter storage. Heat cycle is what contributes to oil going bad. I change oil once a year, right before winter storage.

Blueline

Established Member
I agree with Bdubbs. I never start the car once its away for the winter. Before storing I change the oil, start it to check for any leaks and up on jacks stands she stays. I will not start the car until shes ready to come out of storage. By starting the car every once in awhile you are creating condensation which gets absorbed by the oil, which contaminates the oil.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
I agree with Bdubbs. I never start the car once its away for the winter. Before storing I change the oil, start it to check for any leaks and up on jacks stands she stays. I will not start the car until shes ready to come out of storage. By starting the car every once in awhile you are creating condensation which gets absorbed by the oil, which contaminates the oil.

Thats why i let it get up to full operating temp so the condensation burns off. Im going to change it again before storing again in january but dont feel like doing 2 oil changes unless it could cause harm.

Rambro

Established Member
Is it really that big of a deal if both the oil and engine are brought up to full operating temp. It's supposed to get up to 60 degrees tomorrow and I was going to get the car out for a bit. I run amsoil SS 10w30 and I usually run it for a full year before I change it.

Svtmustang01

Established Member

I meant to add to this. With your car com0letely off its wait doesnt it affect the bushings? Im prettysure they go bad at when the suspension is kept like that for a long time. Also if you dont start the car ever over winter isnt that allowing all the oil to the bottom drying out your seals?
Just food for thought.

Blueline

Established Member
I meant to add to this. With your car com0letely off its wait doesnt it affect the bushings? Im prettysure they go bad at when the suspension is kept like that for a long time. Also if you dont start the car ever over winter isnt that allowing all the oil to the bottom drying out your seals?
Just food for thought.

Your seals will not dry out in the few months it's sitting in storage. Whenever a vehicle is sitting in storage it is best to have the suspension "loaded" while it sits. What's the difference if it's sitting loaded on jack stands or on the ground? Only difference is taking the weight off the tires.

Last edited:

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Your seals will not dry out in the few months it's sitting in storage. Whenever a vehicle is sitting in storage it is best to have the suspension "loaded" while it sits. What's the difference if it's sitting loaded on jack stands or on the ground? Only difference is taking the weight off the tires.

So im assuming the jackstands are on the a arms?

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Alot of good info in here, ive always started my summer toys over the winter, might have to stop doing that. Whats everyone do for their fuel? Living in Minnesota my car is usually stored for at least 5 months, anyone run stabalizer in the tank?

akeohan

Established Member
I change mine once a year (after cold storage for winter) and I don’t start it when it’s stored. I put a charger on it and leave it, I put plush carpet matts under the tires to try and keep them from flat spotting and that’s it. O ya, car cover too, I see changing the oil as cheap insurance since it only sees about 2K miles a year if that.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Is it really that big of a deal if both the oil and engine are brought up to full operating temp. It's supposed to get up to 60 degrees tomorrow and I was going to get the car out for a bit. I run amsoil SS 10w30 and I usually run it for a full year before I change it.

It probably isn't as big of a deal in warmer climates. For those of us that see cold temps anywhere from -20 to 30F condensation is a big deal, and trying to get the car up to operating temp in -20 degree weather without actually driving the car takes quite awhile. Then come along spring time and the whole engine bay looks like it's sweating! I use to start up my old fox mustang and by spring time every nut on the engine was rusty!

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I'm just curious, why would you change the oil before your store it? Seems like you'd want to change it when you bringing it out of storage.

Fortunately here in Texas our weather doesn't require it, so I know nothing about this situation.

Users who are viewing this thread