Oil Change Interval

TenaciousRock

Established Member
Revolution Automotive threw in some 5w50 oil when they had the car in December to install a VMP supercharger. Since then I've put about 3,000 miles on the car and may put another 1,000 on it by December. As of right now the oil life meter on the car is at 71% oil life.

In my previous high performance car, a 1999 Trans Am, I would change the oil once every year no matter what (that car saw a maximum of 3,000 miles per year). I'm wondering if the oil for the coyote should follow suit and change it once a year (so change it in December) or if I can get away with keeping the oil in the car longer until the oil life meter gets down to a lower %.

Not sure how oil technologies and engine efficiency as it relates to oil has changed in the last several years.

steellucky

Established Member
I recommend changing oil once per year no matter what the mileage and follow that rule on all of my cars. I have had access to the engineers at major oil manufacturers in my career.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
What type of driving you do will also play a factor in how often to change your oil. Are you using a full synthetic oil? As long as you are not road racing the car all the time (extreme driving) I think once a year is perfectly fine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree that in your case, once a year is sufficient (and recommended). No need to change it any sooner and I don't recommend going beyond a calendar year between changes. An oil and filter change isn't that expensive.

TenaciousRock

Established Member
What type of driving you do will also play a factor in how often to change your oil. Are you using a full synthetic oil? As long as you are not road racing the car all the time (extreme driving) I think once a year is perfectly fine.

Just drive it on the highway to work once in a while or around town. It's not ever been raced or pushed super hard for long periods consistently.

I assume they pull full synthetic in but I'm not positive. It might be on the receipts if I can find them.

Users who are viewing this thread