Oil change needed?

Breitling

Established Member
I'd like some opinions on whether I need to do an oil change now, or if I can/should wait until later in the summer. Here are the facts:

Last oil change was on 4/5/2015 with 602 miles on the odometer. As of today (3/18/2016), the car has 869 miles. Should I change the oil and filter now? When I changed the oil and filter on 4/5/2015, I used the new Amsoil 5W-50 and their recommended filter.

I know the miles are low and many of you will say to get out and drive it, but I've had a busy year with selling our old home and building a new home, work, travel, family, etc. etc.

Thank you,
E

railroad

Established Member
I would run it. There will be plenty of opposition to that, but mine was the same. I think I had set my oil life rating to 50%. I have just over 4K miles and it has had 3 oil fills counting the factory fill. I am on amsoil also.
I normally use 5K for my intervals.

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
I'd change the oil if for no other reason that it has been a year since the last change. A yearly interval is the least you should do. I do mine twice per year and I put about 4000 miles per year on it.

Pete

Mlarv

2013 Shelby GT500
Established Member
Letting it sit in this OH weather will draw moisture into the engine. Heating it up then shutting it down also draws moisture. I would change it for piece of mind at least. Then drive up to the North Coast and we can put a few miles on them together.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Are you gaining anything by not changing it now? From how I see it, with the stupid low mileage of the vehicle you obviously take every measure to make sure it's in pristine shape. Why not change it now, just for the heck of it? It's coming up on a year now, which is the longest I would ever let one batch of oil sit in an engine.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
i change my oil every 500 miles, oil is a very important part of your engines life.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Well, I will go with OP and run it longer. I can't see oil deteriorating just sitting like that. I bet if you change it, it looks new.

Tom

Breitling

Established Member
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll probably order some more Amsoil 5W50 and change it later this spring. It will be interesting to see how clean the oil looks with so few miles on the oil.

vkirkend

Established Member
Oil Change

Do an oil analysis and go by that recommendation. I have gone 3 years on oil with good results. it's the mileage and additive package depletion that makes the biggest difference. Or pull a sample have it tested and follow their recommendation. I use blackstone labs. they will send you the kits free.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I would just wait and change it this fall if it were me, there's taking care of your car, then there is just throwing money away...

mikejaeggi

Established Member
I put relatively low mileage on mine as well, about 800 miles per year and change the oil annually, typically in April because I tend to do most of my driving in the spring and summer.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Well, speaking of Oil change, the parts store I buy synthetic from quit carrying 5w50, apparently I was the only person buying it.lol..
So now I must order online from now on. Napa will order Mobile1 or I am thinking about ordering Amsoil also.

Seems like amsoil is popular on this site.? Don't know which one to go with.?

Users who are viewing this thread