Oil Cooler Mounting....suggestions??

camp upshur

Established Member
Please chime in on where you've mounted your oil cooler and any suggestions.

I run a Mocal 19 plate in front of my radiator (similar to a Boss 302/SCJ Drag Pack). It cools the oil adequately but obviously masks critical frontage on the radiator. This heat sop leads to the strange situation of my oil and coolant temps almost always the same (actually this oil temp is quite acceptable). It's gotta go.

I've given thought to a 30"x4"X4" Fluidyne (similar to what Evans employs on their radiator/oil cooler) mounted transversly behind/below and aft of the radiator, or;

perhaps horizontally in front of the radiator similar to where our power steering cooler is, or;

mounting a larger oil cooler behind the fan (with the radiator getting first exposure), or ????

Tell us what you're runnin' if you got a moment

Thanks

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
After struggling for years with high oil temps in my 2000 Cobra R with that crappy undersized stock oil cooler, I finally bit the bullet and put a "real" oil cooler in when we did the motor swap last Spring.

oilcoolergr4.jpg

Now I sort of have to watch for low oil temps in cooler weather. I don't have a power adder so YMMV.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I have a quick question that I haven't seemed to find an answer to regarding this subject.

Would there be any benefit/convenience/efficiency in buying an aftermarket radiator that had the automatic transmission fluid partition and running the engine oil through that instead of a separate cooler? I have always been curious about that.

David Hester

Established Member
We did that with my A/Sedan car. Worked well, till the tube developed a leak.
Found oil in water, but no water in the oil. Oil pressure 60, water pressure 24, so it always flowed oil to water and not back, even as things cooled.
Finally plugged it off and bought a Mocal.
MustEngineLF.jpg

btw AC, that's a serious oil cooler!

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Camp are you using your oil cooler in addition to the OEM oil cooler? It has been awhile since we talked.

You definately want the oil cooler in front of the radiator.

If/when I do one it will be in the front wheel well with the fender liner cut to exhaust hot air out. Foglight will be removed to duct in cool air directly to the cooler.

If I didnt have a heat exchanger in the way I would do exactly what Bruce has done to his R.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
We did that with my A/Sedan car. Worked well, till the tube developed a leak.
Found oil in water, but no water in the oil. Oil pressure 60, water pressure 24, so it always flowed oil to water and not back, even as things cooled.
Finally plugged it off and bought a Mocal.
MustEngineLF.jpg

btw AC, that's a serious oil cooler!

Would you happen to have ballpark numbers on what kind of oil temps you were seeing on the hotter days with that set up?

camp upshur

Established Member
Thanks guys keep those suggestions coming!

Ashley, no I'm not running the stock oil cooler anymore, using a full Evans system. Re the fender mount, in my case one side is the remote oil filter, Mocal oil themo and lines and on the other is a JLT CAI filter. I have seen those Porsche type inner fender coolers, some w/ dedicated fan. I am paranoid about any increased alternator loading also.

Running the cooler in front of the radiator on this car has been a bust. In my case it is just a 200-230+ heat pill sending very hot air into the coolant radiator and nullifying it. Other cars of mine (NA) run a cooler in front of the radiator with no problems though. Again it seems we're in a Box Canyon.

ac427cobra, that is a great set-up. Of course the '03-'04 has the H/E grabbing that space. I've thought of such a unit, C&R or Fluidyne-in both case significantly increasing the oil cooler size, and placing it behind the H/E or horizontally where our P/S radiator is (has anyone done that??) or even behind and below the radiator catching some air and framed in w/ a skid plate. But I'm hoping maybe someone else has rigged a cooler that they're happy with. Not too proud here.

(BTW ac427cobra, are you running a CSX 3000 series car? I've vintaged SFM5S339 for 30 years+ on and off)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ac427cobra, that is a great set-up. Of course the '03-'04 has the H/E grabbing that space. I've thought of such a unit, C&R or Fluidyne-in both case significantly increasing the oil cooler size, and placing it behind the H/E or horizontally where our P/S radiator is (has anyone done that??) or even behind and below the radiator catching some air and framed in w/ a skid plate. But I'm hoping maybe someone else has rigged a cooler that they're happy with. Not too proud here.

(BTW ac427cobra, are you running a CSX 3000 series car? I've vintaged SFM5S339 for 30 years+ on and off)

Superchargers just add heat! ;-) :poke:

This is just an OT car. 2000 Cobra R with a hot rodded Ford GT NA motor in it. I'd be forced to run AIX with it if I did compete and it just wouldn't be competetive enough! :( Too heavy, too slow and not enough power. :cryying:

racebronco2

Established Member
Thanks guys keep those suggestions coming!

Ashley, no I'm not running the stock oil cooler anymore, using a full Evans system. Re the fender mount, in my case one side is the remote oil filter, Mocal oil themo and lines and on the other is a JLT CAI filter. I have seen those Porsche type inner fender coolers, some w/ dedicated fan. I am paranoid about any increased alternator loading also.

I have mine in the fender with a fan. It does get cold air from the fog light holes. I also have brake cooling fans which are hooked up to the foglight pigtails. They are both on the foglight switch and i haven't had any problems with it. I only use the fans when i am running open track.

camp upshur

Established Member
Thanks racebronco2, What size/type oil cooler are you running? Is the oil cooler fan somewhere about a 7 amp draw?

Re running the fan motor, is that the oil cooler fan you only run electively?

racebronco2

Established Member
Thanks racebronco2, What size/type oil cooler are you running? Is the oil cooler fan somewhere about a 7 amp draw?

Re running the fan motor, is that the oil cooler fan you only run electively?

Oil cooler and brake cooling fans are on the same switch. I only use them on track.

Users who are viewing this thread