Oil cooler nessasary?

shurur

Established Member
if you have daily, a gt adapter should be fine; however, the DOHC oil cooler can be fixed by buying and installing a complete cooler o-ring kit. And it can be done on your next OC.

Going to a GT cooler is a step backwards IMO.

jgt58

Established Member
if you have daily, a gt adapter should be fine; however, the DOHC oil cooler can be fixed by buying and installing a complete cooler o-ring kit. And it can be done on your next OC.

Going to a GT cooler is a step backwards IMO.
I have done this. Still seems to be leaking. And I've replaced every o ring in it inside and out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jgt58

Established Member

97snakebite

Established Member

shurur

Established Member
I'm going through my bay now..and the those seals are on my list...now you all have me wondering...

frank5o

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
Just heats up your coolant faster oil maintain a heat level..... the usual garbage factory lines

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Guys, if the oil cooler did nothing, why would ford waste money installing them on all these cars?

The engine coolant should maintain around 200 degrees F. The engine oil should be around 250 degrees F.

So does anyone see how the oil cooler could help?

If its a leaking mess then removing it is an option. I would repair it.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
An external oil cooler (air cooled) will do wonders compared to using the stock style (using coolant to cool).

termcobra281

Established Member
I myself will be doing away with the oil cooler for my turbo build. My car is just summer time weekend warrior so I am not worried about it. Once I drive it awhile and see it's a concern I will just add an aftermarket piece.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I myself will be doing away with the oil cooler for my turbo build. My car is just summer time weekend warrior so I am not worried about it. Once I drive it awhile and see it's a concern I will just add an aftermarket piece.

I'm going turbo too and am considering deleting it as well.

RJCarp2

Established Member
I have a 97 Cobra engine in a 62 Comet. The factory oil cooler hit the frame rail so I had to run a GT cooler. I mostly autocross this car and occasionally run an open tack day. I have an oil temp sensor in the pan. The oil gets ridiculously hot in a hurry without the factory cooler. No issue driving around town but sustained RPM is bad news. Before I added an external cooler I could get oil temp to 260F in about 3 minutes of sustained RPM.

Since I've never run the factory cooler I can't say how effective it is, but I can say the Derale external cooler I'm running is incredible.

The factory cooler should be able to keep oil temp close to coolant temp, which is much better than not having one.

jgt58

Established Member
I have a 97 Cobra engine in a 62 Comet. The factory oil cooler hit the frame rail so I had to run a GT cooler. I mostly autocross this car and occasionally run an open tack day. I have an oil temp sensor in the pan. The oil gets ridiculously hot in a hurry without the factory cooler. No issue driving around town but sustained RPM is bad news. Before I added an external cooler I could get oil temp to 260F in about 3 minutes of sustained RPM.

Since I've never run the factory cooler I can't say how effective it is, but I can say the Derale external cooler I'm running is incredible.

The factory cooler should be able to keep oil temp close to coolant temp, which is much better than not having one.
Link to said cooler?

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread